How would you react if....

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by ceyuh, Jun 20, 2018.

1. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

This. Ask for compensation low key. They're probably non-musicians and don't understand.

Fishyfishfish likes this.
  2. soggy mittens

soggy mittens Member

You were in a public place, which you are entitled to be, just as the dog and their owners were. Sometimes things happen in life that are unfortunate, you can't blame the dog and the dogs owners could not have foreseen what was going to happen, again these things happen, unfortunately. But glad to hear you won't lose sleep over it. Strum on! :)

3. el_bastardo

el_bastardo Member

Dogs being dogs is not a bad thing. They're better than cats.

4. ceyuh

ceyuh Gold Supporting Member

The town has a leash ordinance which requires the animal to be under the owner(s) control at all times, either by physical or verbal means. In this case the dog was clearly not under either.

I understand the point of view, but that’s not legally accurate. The dog’s owner has a duty of care to keep the animal under control at all times. I should add that this lake is somewhat secluded with no more than a very small handful of visitors per day, at most. I’m often there for an hour or two without seeing anyone else there. I’m a shy player by nature, I would not have gone there if I thought there were going to be people around to hear me play.

Let’s imagine for a moment a slightly different scenario:

Same lake, same beautiful day. You are alone at the lake photographing the scenery with high end equipment. Suddenly my dog comes around the bend and crashes into your gear. Or perhaps someone’s small child pushed one of your tripod mounted cameras into the water. Are you telling me that you would expect to eat that loss without recourse because you took your gear to a public place?

5. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

That dog knows tone!!

el capitan and ceyuh like this.
  6. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Sorry it happened, I would try not to sweat it, but dog owners like that piss me off.

7. Timcito

Timcito Member

Difficult situation. One problem is that for most people it's "just" a guitar. They're all the same, right? The one you've got looks just the same as the one our Jimmy has, and his only cost a hundred bucks, etc., etc. Perhaps the best thing is not to tempt fate by taking highly valuable instruments out like that. I'm primarily an acoustic player, and I know how special Lowdens are. If I had one, I do not think I'd be playing it out in the open like that, I'm afraid to say. It sounds like an ideal environment for a Taylor GS Mini or some other such. However, their dog should be on a leash, and if it causes damage when not on one, then the owners should cough up towards the damage. If the dog had scratched and dented someone's car in that situation, I'm sure the owner wouldn't hesitate to demand compensation.

ceyuh likes this.
  8. Penguinchit

Penguinchit Member

My big questions would be:

Is the damage worth enough to talk to them?
    Will you become the town whiner if you talk to them about the incident?
    If you talk to them and do become the town whiner, would it be worth it?

I think that comes from my perception of a small town. Everybody talks, your business is everybody's business, etc.

9. skronker

skronker 2010/2013/2015 S.C. Champions

this is one of those cases where the juice ain't worth the squeeze

10. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

Not "bearclaw", dog claw. Chalk it up to playing outside.

ceyuh likes this.
  11. PLX

PLX MENSA member, Astronaut, Dated Your Mom Once Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

el capitan and skronker like this.
  12. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Tough call. If the dog was required by ordinance to have been leashed, you have a beef, otherwise

[​IMG]

chrisr777, el capitan and derekd like this.
  13. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

And I don't want to seem unsympathetic - I am, if it happened to me, I'd feel the same as you - but if you decide to let it be, perhaps humor can be soothing. E.g., when someone shows you his bear claw spruce top, you retort, "That's nothing, you should see mine, it's dog claw."

ceyuh and derekd like this.
  14. derekd

derekd Member

That's my inclination.

I've been around too many dogs, children, and kids playing ball/frisbie/grabass to want to take a high dollar guitar into a public outdoor setting like that.

Btw, sorry for the scratch/gouge. Lowden's are wonderful guitars, and George is a treasure.

el capitan and ceyuh like this.
  15. MassProducedDreamer

MassProducedDreamer Member

I wouldn't take it well. Control your dog and keep it within sight if it's not leashed.

16. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Member

I think you are screwed. People who have crazy dogs and let them run around in public off leash is SO ANNOYING! My parents do this and it makes me NUTS. It's like, either teach the dog how to act or put it on a damn leash. A dog jumping on a a person is NOT a well behaved dog in my opinion.

17. wickedcookie

wickedcookie Member

I love dogs too. I also understand that they are the responsibility of their owners.

It could have been a small child or an elderly person sitting on that bench, and their dog could have caused serious injury. That’s not what happened, so it’s whatevs and not worth worrying about hypotheticals — but what is worth considering is that if the simple fact is they weren’t paying enough attention to know what was going on at all, then they wouldn’t have been paying attention no matter who or what was there. That’s a problem that has been discussed before, and goes by the heading “irresponsible pet owners.”

If it were me, I would leave the damaged guitar situation be, but next time I saw he elderly widow I’d politely ask her to politely ask her guests to keep their dog on a leash if they’re unwilling or unable to exercise control over it in public spaces.

It is true that a wise adult would likely glean from the situation that they shouldn’t take their nice guitar to go play by the lake on a beautiful day, and it’s sad that the reason that conclusion holds water amounts to nothing more than the need to simply presume everyone else is going to be oblivious, inconsiderate, and irresponsible.

ceyuh likes this.
  18. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

Imagine if your guitar had flown out of your hands —under its own power— and smacked that dog hard across the snout. I bet the dog-loving couple would have been all up in your business then!

wickedcookie and ceyuh like this.
  19. blues

blues Supporting Member

Where I live you need to have a license for your dog. It says on the paper that you get with your tag that
    the owner is responsible for the dogs actions.

Regardless I would be upset with myself for not watching out better when the dog was getting near me. The dog
    just wanted to be friendly.

I would not make a big deal out of it even if the owner want to help fix it. If it were my dog I would have offered to
    pay.

wickedcookie likes this.
  20. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

Exactly this. If you are going to tote a guitar out in public, or anywhere really, you have to expect the unexpected ding. Especially on a cedar top.

coltonius likes this.