How would you react if....

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by ceyuh, Jun 20, 2018.

1. FlackBase

FlackBase Felonious Monkey Gold Supporting Member

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

How did you work in the cost of the guitar when you were "just bringing it up"?

Check the pawn shops for a beater guitar & take that to the parks.

3. killinears

killinears Supporting Member

First, remember you asked. Second, my disclaimer. This line of thinking should not be construed to be TGP policy in any way, shape or form.

Now, to help us focus, I snipped out the parts of your post that caught my attention. I'm a dog lover who has had numerous shirts ruined by poorly trimmed dog nails. The hyper-active canine jumps up to say hello and there goes the shirt. I haven't lost $7,000 worth of shirts, but maybe as much as $700, because modern moisture-wicking fabrics are not very durable! It really sucked at the time, but ya know what, I managed to move on with that part of my life until this story brought back the memory of those destructive encounters.

With all that said, I have to ask a couple of questions. Are you sure the dog was displaying enthusiasm and not annoyance? Was he shaking his head side to side, kind of like we do when we get water in our ears? What I'm trying to get to is this. He wasn't happy.

I'm pretty sure he was majorly offended with your public fingerstyling by his favorite stretch of shoreline and just wanted you to pack up and de-azz the area. Dogs have very sensitive ears and we need to make sure we're barking up the right tree or playing a well-tuned harp when a large toothed animal is running loose in the nearby woods. Perhaps you just didn't have the right genre selected and that was what set him off. Dogs can't talk, so I bet we never find out for sure.

In the end, I'm really glad your breezy fingerstylings didn't upset a honey badger or humongous black bear. We can be pretty sure your results would have been much different...

dank likes this.
  4. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

If they didn't feel responsible when you filled them in on what happened at the lake it's unlikely they will try to compensate you willingly but who knows sometimes it gets through the grapevine and they hear it from someone else in town, feel guilt and have a change of heart but the upside is your guitar has another story to tell.

PLX likes this.
  5. dank

dank Consummate Beatles Fan Silver Supporting Member

Pragmatically speaking, how do you determine the appropriate compensation for the dog scratches, especially since since there are other marks on the guitar?

ceyuh likes this.
  6. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Damaged area / Total surface area of guitar = % of damage

7. frankie5fingers

frankie5fingers Member

Well ceyah, your question is how I'd react. To that, I'd probably be quite irritated just like you. After a little thought though, which is all I'm capable of anyway, I think it leads me to one question.
    What would you do with the money?
    Refinish the top? I'm guessing not. Barring that, learn the obvious lesson and move on.
    When you take your stuff to a public place, you have to expect the public to show up.