How would you run effects with an Red Iron Amps T-Rex?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Finaldo, May 29, 2008.

1. Finaldo

Finaldo Member

The amp doesn't have a loop, and it has one speaker out... so the W/D rig suggestion on the Trainwreck site that talks about using the second speaker out to a dummy loud with a line out into an effects unit to a second power amp doesn't apply.

How will you guys be using effects with these amps? Mic the dry amp and go into the effects unit for a W/D rig? I'd basically just like to get some delay on the signal, maybe a little reverb, when I play live...

Suggestions, ideas?

2. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

3. mbetter

mbetter Member

When you have multiple speaker outs, they're generally just wired in parallel with each other. So just wire up a Y cable, one side goes to your cab, the other to your dummy load (which should have the same impedance as the cab). So 1/8 + 1/8 = 4 = use the 4ohm tap on the amp.

4. Finaldo

Finaldo Member

Won't a delay pedal sound funny in front of the amp if I'm playing dirty? The T-Rex has a lot of gain.

That sounds good, I can give that a shot.

5. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

Doesn't sound funny... adjust the Mix accordingly and you should be okay.

What about using a Hotplate?

[​IMG]

6. Finaldo

Finaldo Member

I have run delay in front of dirty amps before, and I don't like the sound as much as putting it after the source of the dirtiness.... in the loop or adding it post-recording. Maybe these amps are different in how they take the signal .. but I would think each repeat would be significantly cleaner than the one before it. Who knows, maybe that'll sound cool.

Also, about the Hotplate, I was thinking that's the perfect piece for a dummy load with a line out. :)

7. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

You could use a H&K Redbox.
    Amp to RB to speaker

Transparent as can be and works great as a line out for a wet/dry setup.

The hotplate will work ok, but you have to keep readjusting your wet volume every time you turn up your amp. The H&K is passive and you just have to set the ratio between wet/dry once. Set it and forget it.

8. Finaldo

Finaldo Member

Thanks, I'll definitely check those out too. :)

9. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

This is the main reason why I stayed away from these amps...[and Trainwreck clones as well]

10. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

My fav way is to mic the dry signal and feed that into my effects like in a studio, then run that into a small stereo or mono monitor setup.

11. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

Well as the dealer guy... I work with Paul all the time, I can say that there is no reason that we could not include a second output, or even a line out for a upcharge if guys want that.

I have spoken with Paul about a simple in and out loop as well and he may consider that.

If guys wanted to use a studio piece with the amp you still might need a little dumbulator type thing, but our friend at XITS is about to introduce a great one..

The possibilities are all there guys.

12. Finaldo

Finaldo Member

Yeah I talked to Paul about putting a passive loop in there for using something like a loop like a dumbleator, but he ended up not wanting to do that right now, if my memory serves me correctly. He didn't mention anything about adding a speaker output to it...

How would you manage a line out after the power amp?

13. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

When I run amps dirty that have no FX loop, I use something with a line out (Hotplate or Weber Z-Matcher) b/w head and cab, send the line out into a delay set 100% wet and into a Tech21 Power Engine 60 1x12. I already had the delay, Hotplate and Z-Matcher, so all I needed to start using this setup was the Power Engine -- got it on eBay for $150. Sounds great when mic'ed up this way, too.

14. Finaldo

Finaldo Member

Your stage footprint is bigger with a W/D rig, so I'd rather have a dummy load from the head and mix the dry signal with effects and have only one cab. It's really just for easy set-up and breakdown, and keeping things simple as far as going to FOH.. one mic is best, and one cab would ultimately be best too. All IMO, for my own playing, though. :)

15. localmotion411

You have to have another power amp to do it this way, but a power amp is less to carry than a Power Engine 60, and the sound guy doesn't have to mic two speakers.

16. Finaldo

Finaldo Member

Right... my preferred way to get effects with an amp without a loop is to have the amp head into a dummy load with a line out, take the line out into my Axe-Fx, into my Carvin DCM600, into a 2x12, and mic that. That'd be perfect. Sounds like there are a bunch of options to check out for dummy loads with line outs, so it shouldn't be too hard for me to do it the way I want.

Of course, the way it'd be best for me for playing live would be to have an actual effects loop... but lots of people bag on loops for messing up the tone...

17. localmotion411

Yeah; at this point, I've got four amps that sound better than any others I've played. None have loops. So I have to assume that I don't like loops. If Ken Fischer ever put one into an amp he had made, I might have thought about it, but that man knew tone, and if he didn't like 'em, I don't like 'em.

18. digital jams

digital jams Member

CAn you turn off the cab sim on the RB? The RB Pro you can switch off the sim and that box is no longer made.

Best bet is either a RB or Hotplate set to no load and run the line out to your time mod effects, I cant stand delays in front but again I am more of a highgain player.

19. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

I'm not sure about the current model. I've got the Red Box Pro, but using it for a wet signal, you don't really hear it all that much with the cab sim on or off.

I still like them better than the hotplate for this application.

20. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

I ran a Voodoo Witchdoctor Champ into a Weber Mass, line out from the mass into wet effects, then into a slim half rack sized poweramp and then into the cab. This was perfect for adding wet effects and it wasn't an overly big setup with the slim rack mount PA.

However, this is why I could never get along with Wreck style amps. I had a TR Ruby and while I thought it had some great tone, I ended up running it mostly clean with a Tonebone Classic up front for dirt. That was the only way the loop on that amp worked. Loops just don't work well with these style amps. I guess it is always the dilemma with this kind of amp.....

Mike