How would you set this up?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JamesO, Jul 12, 2006.

1. JamesO

JamesO Member

Hey everyone

I'd like to do a two delay thing like The Edge, setting one at 350ms and one at 550ms, both running at the same time in parallel.

Right now my plan is to split my guitar signal with an A/B box and run a line out of that to each delay. The A/B box will do A & B rather than just A or B, so this part's figured.

I have two inputs on my amp and can just run a cable from each delay to an input, but I'm wondering if there's a way to bring them back to mono and go into one input?

Regardless of wondering how to make the stereo go mono, would you change any part of that setup?

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Well, you can get another A/B/Y box and use that to bring it together.

If I were you, though, I would get a loooper with parallel loops and use that. Loooper used to make boxes like that

3. JamesO

JamesO Member

Oh shoot, I thought my thread didn't post and I started a new one.

4. JamesO

JamesO Member

Can you recommend any loopers? I googled and couldn't find much. I'm not sure what terms to search for.

5. entraind

entraind Member

6. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

I thought this was just the second echo of the first post .. ;)

If your first delay has the delayed signal only in its second (stereo) output, then you wouldn't need the first A/B box .. just join that delayed signal back to the main signal with an A/B/Y after the second delay.

But I'd go for the looper option as well, more versatile and allows you to keep the delays out of the chain when you're not using them. Aside from loopmaster .. Lehle, Wobo and Barge Concepts spring to mind.

7. JamesO

JamesO Member

I'm going to check out the looper. But if it might save money, is the second output (the stereo output) dry/non-effected by the delay? The second delay needs a dry signal going in.

8. JamesO

JamesO Member

I emailed Brian from loop-master, and I guess the loopers he have aren't independent. Meaning Loop B has all the effects from Loop A, which wouldn't be too different than plugging one delay straight into the other. Bummer.

9. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

Depends on the delay, I guess. Without checking, I think what my Reel Echo does is: if both outputs are plugged in, only dry signal comes from the main output and only delayed signal from the stereo output. IIRC this is what my DM-3 did as well.

So you could run the main signal straight through and into the second delay .. you'd just have to combine the delayed signal from the first pedal back after the second pedal.

What delays are you using, or thinking of using?

10. mild

mild Member

I have a david boggs built loooper, which has a parrelel circuit for delays.

Just be aware, that if you run this kind of setup, you will not be able to use one delay at a time - due to the differing impedences of the split circuit, running only one half of the parrellel circuit creates a exponential feedback loop - it will blow your ears out!

Just an fyi, I didn't find this out til I got mine. (I got it 2nd hand...)

11. Supertgtr

Supertgtr Member

How about using a small line mixer?

12. JamesO

JamesO Member

That's awesome. I emailed David Boggs about the price of a two loop with the parallel circuit. Hopefully it's something in my budget! :D