Howard interviewed Mellencamp!

Cuthbert

And hit another home run. I had no idea he was so interesting. I have a whole different perspective on John Cougar Mellencamp now. I don't understand why Howie is wasting his time and talent on America's Got Talent. He should take over for Piers Morgan or something. He's great at interviewing super talented artists and icons. Bye for now!

27sauce

I would love to hear a round table interview with people that have worked with/for Mellencamp ;)

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
I would love to hear a round table interview with people that have worked with/for Mellencamp ;)
Wasn't his (JCM) nickname 'the Little Bastard'?
The only thing Stern has ever said that made me laugh was when he was interviewing Warren Beatty and he said "If only your d%$k could write a book".

Hammered

Silver Supporting Member
I am a regular listener to the Stern show but I find he falls flat with musician interviews. His research seems as though it is done through google and his questions are almost always the same and come across as amateur.
I find he really shows how out of touch he is when musicians come in.
For the most part I agree , I thought the interview with John was really good. Problem with Stern is once he interviews a rock star one or twice like say Slash or Sammy Hagar to name a few he always falls back on all the old crap he asked them the first , and yes his research is really spotty.

MORE BARN

Definitely an interesting guy. But as far as TGP goes, you will see very, very little of him around here. Sort of like Pearl Jam in a TGP sense. But he is one guy where I look at his early stuff and I don't even count it. It's like it's two separate artists.

tvegas99

Gold Supporting Member
hello hello

hey now

I gotta believe Howard only does AGT for the exposure and to soften his image, cannot believe how interesting and likeable he makes the interviewees

another killer home run

bye for now

Cuthbert

Well I know he's no Charlie Rose but who else is getting hour long in depth interviews with people like Paul McCartney, Neil Young, Jay Z, Joe Walsh, Billy Joel, Roger Waters, Daryl Hall, etc. etc. etc.? Besides Charlie's more into classical.

He's an interesting guy- I blew an amp in his studio a couple years back.

Andy York replaced David Grissom over 20 years ago. David replacing Larry Crane who came up with all the cool riffs - oddly not credited ...

Kenny Aronoff's career exploded the minute he left the band.

loudboy

My wife put together an art auction to benefit Spina Bifida, maybe twenty years ago.

John has some sort of spinal deformation and when contacted, immediately donated a painting - just sent it, no strings attached.

I've heard he's difficult to work with, but this makes him jake, in my book.

His late middle period stuff w/Grissom is really good, too. Love this song:

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
I had a conversation with Kenny Aronoff many years ago after he had done the Scarecrow album with Mellencamp. To me, that's Kenny's record. The drumming is amazing, and after he left the band, it was never the same. Mellencamp stopped having hits after Kenny left.

I asked Kenny what Mellencamp was like to work with. He shook his head, and his reply was, "He's the most intense motherf***** in the world. He can be really difficult, but the music we make is great." I knew it would reach a point where the relationship would eventually come to an end after hearing that.

MORE BARN

I had a conversation with Kenny Aronoff many years ago after he had done the Scarecrow album with Mellencamp. To me, that's Kenny's record. The drumming is amazing, and after he left the band, it was never the same. Mellencamp stopped having hits after Kenny left.

I asked Kenny what Mellencamp was like to work with. He shook his head, and his reply was, "He's the most intense motherf***** in the world. He can be really difficult, but the music we make is great." I knew it would reach a point where the relationship would eventually come to an end after hearing that.
IMO, the hits stopped because he was probably at the age where the hits stop--for every pop star, not because of a drummer change.

Also, to MY ears, the drumming with Aronoff sounded to metronomic. He seems to have a looser, more organic feel with the 'new' guy. Just my opinion. YMMV and all.

Phydeaux

I am a regular listener to the Stern show but I find he falls flat with musician interviews. His research seems as though it is done through google and his questions are almost always the same and come across as amateur.
I find he really shows how out of touch he is when musicians come in.
+1000. I started listening to Stern around 1990. Moved out of the market in 2002, and finally picked him up again on satellite in 2012. He was still doing the same interview. A few questions from the artists Wikipedia page, followed by "How's your sex life?" and "Does your wife/girlfriend do anal?" I can't imagine the Mellencamp interview being any different.

27sauce

Steve Earle had him on his XM show this week. It was a pretty good interview. Earle tends to end up talking about himself most times, this one was good. It airs again on Wednesday on Outlaw Country.

Trending Topics