Howdo you reverse a bridge saddle on R9 with ABR bridge ?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Rock Fella, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

Its an ABR bridge and my new strobostomp has revealed i need to reintonate my gtr, i need about an extra turn on the G string and the slope of the saddle is hard against the back of the bridge , 1 turn of the screw will do it but ive never removed a saddle before and im wary as its a wire bridge ..............so how do i do it guys ?

ta

jimmy

2. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

Jimmy...

First you'll have to remove the wire retainer. It usually pops out of the holes fairly easy but sometimes if it is corroded it will break. No big deal though as you can always get replacements. The orignal 50's Les Pauls never had them anyway.

Now you can remove the saddle and the adjustment screw out of the bridge. Simply unscrew the saddle and reverse it so it faces the other direction.

One thing though... if your strings do not sit directly in the center of the bridge saddle and it's notched more to the left or right of center... when you reverse the saddle direction the string may no longer sit over the pickup poles as well.

3. evan_pollan

evan_pollan Member

I had the same problem. '90 LP Custom. I tried pulling the retainer spring out, and ended up breaking it. Fortunately, I had to back the saddle all the way against the bridge to get the intonation correct, so the lack of a spring isn't hurting. But, still... :FM

4. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

i notice the wire goes into the bridge at both E strings, is it still holding the G string in place and is it normal to have to back the G string almost to as far as it will go back, I know that one turn will have the strobo screen showing fretted G , 12th harmonic and open string exactly the same.

5. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

The only purpose the wire retainer serves is to prevent the saddles from falling out of the bridge when the strings are off the guitar. Otherwise, the downward pressure of the string keeps the saddle in place. Two of my Les Pauls no longer have the wire on the ABR-1 and it's never been a problem for me.

As far as the position of the saddle... it's not unusual to have to back it out all the way on an ABR-1. An ABR-1 has a limited range of adjustment to begin with... and that coupled with the fact that it's possible that your bridge may have been drilled and positioned slightly too far forward at the factory (this is quite common for Gibson) can account for this.

6. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

I would consider an adjustment to the neck and action before reversing the saddle. Tightening the trussrod and decreasing the relief in the neck will add a little to the string length between the 12th fret and saddle. Raising the action could also help if you don't mind how it makes the guitar play. Also, if the channel the string occupies in the nut makes too much contact with the string it can lengthen the string length and in turn require the saddle be moved farther backward.

7. ES350

ES350 Member

If you lose or break the retainer wire, it's very easy to make one from a .018 or .019 plain string with a needle nose plier...