Howdy from Virginia Beach

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jason UP, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Jason UP

Jason UP Supporting Member

Hi all - I'm a newbie to the site and heard about it from a buddy who plays in my band who bought and sold an amp on here - seems like a cool site! I'm the least "technical" musician in the band gear-wise so this site will be where I get all my good ideas going forward! I play in a rock/alt-country/blues outfit here in VB and also play bluegrass acoustic in a separate gig, so I run the gamut in tones I try to achieve (but seem to fall short all the time). For bluegrass, I have a Martin and a Larivee and love 'em, no problems there. Electric is where I'm at 80% happiness and need 100%. Right now my main live rig is an early 90s American Tele for the "less" rock stuff / clean and a Washburn Idol I70 with SD humbuckers for the "more" rock stuff. The Tele is fantastic for the more "alt-country" Wilco-esque stuff we do and for clean blues while the Idol is a great versatile ax for all the slide and rockin' and what not. Play through an early 80's Soldano 100W Lucky 13 with a 2x12 (bought on Ebay) with 1 Celestion Vintage 30 and 1 other Celestion. Has 2 channels for that versatility. No idea why the guy I bought it from mismatched them (he was just a vendor), but heck it works. Effects are a Menatone Workingman's Blue (to add some dirt to the clean channel at times), Toadworks Delay, Ibanez Rotary Chorus and an EH envelope filter from time to time. The real stinker is that I have an early 70's Strat hardtail that's my baby (bought it in 1985 for $750 or so), but I can't find a spot for it in the "sound" b/c it simply doesn't sound good through the Soldano; sounds pretty cool through my Fender Deville in the garage at home, but not the big boy. I bought it with the original pickups in it and it sounded like butt so I replaced them with some SD pickups back in the 80s (back in my poser metal days I guess) and have lost the original pickups which I kick myself over now. The guy at the music store (to get it back to sounding like a Strat - in his words) suggested Alnico II's which I put in, but they just don't cut it - strat sounds weak. Any suggestions?? Quite honestly I'd like it to have the power that the Tele has but while still holding the line with the Strat sound b/c I'd love to play more gain-y Cream-y type blues in the Bluesbreaker vein if you get the sound I'm looking for (w/o spending a ton). Appreciate the help!

2. Ken I

Ken I Silver Supporting Member

Welcome aboard!

3. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Hi Jason,

Welcome to The Gear Page!

4. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Welcome to The Gear Page!

5. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Welcome to TGP.

Jim

6. Leucadian

Leucadian Guest

...welcome...I graduated from First Colonial H.S....lived in Baycliff/Alanton area...

7. HipKitty

HipKitty Silver Supporting Member