How's that?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Doode, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Doode

Doode Member

Check this out and tell me how you like the guitar sound(s):

https://soundcloud.com/doode-1/guessdaunit02

It's a different approach from what I usually do... and yet it doesn't sound a lot different (but I prefer it).

First time around it's only rhythm guitars, so you can concentrate on them better, then the solo kicks in. The solo tone is only a slight variation of the rhythm - a bit more drive and mids.

2. kyolic

kyolic Member

It is pretty good.

3. roachone

roachone Member

Sounds good to me. Maybe a little delay on the lead? Good job though.

4. deanesque

deanesque Member

It's not harsh and annoying like 90% of guitar sounds I hear.

5. speedyone

speedyone Supporting Member

It's easier for me to tell what the unit is NOT, based upon ones I have had, and characteristics in your sound.

First, enjoyed the playing! Cool and melodic.

My guess for possible units (and I'm not even gonna cheat by searching for any of your posts about "I just got a new X unit") --

Zoom G3/5, one of the Line6 Pods, maybe a Boss GT series.

Could be any of these.

That said, I'm going with ................

Amplifire!!!

What?! The reverb you used sounds identical to my Amplifire's reverb. But then again, that could also mean you're using Studio Devil software too....so......

I don't know.

6. speedyone

speedyone Supporting Member

Ok, final answer: Zoom!

7. Doode

Doode Member

Thank you.

Thanks. There actually IS some delay. Very subtle, though. I usually like the delay to add a bit of glue without being an obvious effect.

That's funny... and once I reveal the chain, you will know why. ;)

Thanks a lot. The first half is composed, the second half is improvised - recorded in one take (though not the first, admittedly). Usually my own improvising bores me to death, but this one's ok, I guess.

Yeah, it's easy to find out that I own a Zoom... but it's not the only thing.

That's interesting, really. I can tell you that much: the delay mentioned above comes from the DAW - it's Reaper's stock delay. I like its tweak options and I'm not too picky when it comes to the sound of a delay. To me, a true digital reproduction of the original signal is a good starting point.
    The reverb - kind of consequently - is added in the DAW, too. I had to go and check which one it was, because I just copied it over from another mix. It's a fairly old Waves plugin.

Anyhow, I think it's cool - almost brave - you named possible units. And I'm looking forward to people chiming in after I reveal the chain going "oh yeah, you can hear this and that, which is typical for this and that..." :D

Ssssoooo... in a couple of hours I'll go the full monty.

Stay tuned.

8. Doode

Doode Member

Ok, here we go, time to see what's behind door number 3.

It was an Epiphone Les Paul... [the crowd was still calm]

... with GFS pickups... [eyebrows were raised]

... and strings which the player can't remember the last change of (011s, by the way)... [someone coughs]

... into... .... [folks lean forward and are all ears]... or better thru a Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 60R solid state "practice and rehearsal, maybe small gig" combo's preamp... [crowd gets restless, head-shaking, disbelieving looks...]

... into a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB audio interface... [the audience calms down again, not expecting another shock, as someone shouts: "And where's the cab? Or the sim thereof? It... it... must be something cool... like the Torpedo WoS or at least some other IR... I... I mean... IRs are THE ****, right?"]

... into Reaper, where only a stock EQ with two band passes and one band cut was added, topped off with the aforementioned delay and reverb. :omg

[Crowd goes crazy, set the chairs on fire, tears are falling...] :mob

Can you consider it modeling? Hmmmm... where does modeling start? But it involved digital gear to crucially shape the sound (you know, that super-sophisticated EQ), so I think it's in the right place.

nandinga likes this.
  9. kyolic

kyolic Member

Well the tone was not too bad but it's debatable if it deserves the amount of drama created above. :)

10. nandinga

nandinga Member