How's the BYOC delay, chorus, and tremolo?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rorschah, Jan 11, 2006.

1. rorschah

rorschah Member

How do they compare to the rest of the $100-ish market, like, say, Digitech Digidelay and maybe the Visualsounds H20 and Marshall Vibratrem and Small Stone (Clone? Whichever the chorus is.) and stuff like that?

-thi

2. Phil M

Phil M Member

I had Keith build me a delay. It is not great, but it is very good for sound quality. The true bypass, small footprint and 9V power tap are great features for $119.

I had the H2O for awhile and it sounded just as good to these ears, plus you get chorus. I would strongly consider getting that pedal again.

3. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

I found a used Guyatone MD-3 for $50. It's a great echo

4. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

I like my BYOC delay better than the H2O. The H20 was not crisp enough for me. Compared to my Ibanez Echo Machine, the H2O was a little muddy sounding. I really like the Ibanez, as well as my BYOC delay.

5. El Salvador

El Salvador Member

What about Cmatmods' delay? I guess he's also using the BYOC delay, is this true?

6. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I just ordered the delay based on price, footprint and mainly, true bypass. I don't use echo that much.
    Considered his chorus, but bought a Clone chorus on ebay that I am also awaiting.
    All of the other pedals he offers/sells look quite good.

Can anyone chime in on the Chorus?

7. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i built the delay, tremolo and the tribooster. they are all really good. good enough in fact for me to let my sib echodrive, mr echo, voodoo labs 4 knob tremolo and barber burn unit eq go. hard to beat for the money. the delay now has a loop option that should be fun.

8. woude

woude Member

Anyone played the new phaser? Looks promising!

9. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Deluxe Memory Man can be found used for $150 (that's what I paid, I'm fairly certain there's one on the Emporium page for $150 right now)...

It's a great pedal. True bypass, wet (echo) and dry (bypass) outputs, blend control, delay control, feedback control, chorus/vibrato control and a switch to flip between chorus and vibrato modes.

It's great for Led Zeppelin-like delay, rockabilly, add some crazy vibrato or chorus (but watch the feedback, or you get what the knob says!)...

I rigged up the wet output as being independent from the rest of my signals, so I can change it's sound even further from my dry tone (add vibrato or chorus, run it through the POG->Walco->Champ->Leslie for organ sounds for organ following guitar or vice-versa for guitar following organ, long delays for harmony parts...). Dirty guitar + clean/chorused echo, clean guitar + organ echo, etc...

Very warm sounding, and sometimes it will spit up some vibrato or chorus without warning, maybe there is some dust in the potentiometer, but it's a great effect. Great for D'yer M'ker (sp?) or reggae, too. If you're into The Police, this is also a great pedal... Kind of like a double-tracking echo with some settings, too. I use the absolute minimum delay time as a "click" for my organ sounds as well... I don't know why it seems like people shun this pedal somewhat on this forum... so, E-H stuff is weird, it's supposed to be...

10. gururyan

gururyan Member

Totally agree there on the TriBooster, absolutely love mine...had Keith build it for me. I would have paid triple for it, and would have if I had found one when it was under his BTMB label.

11. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

I bought that too. I A/B'ed it with a script Phase 90 and they didn't sound identical, but the BYOC model sounds great on the slowest speed and on 3/4 speed.

12. trucks

trucks Member

I just finished building the chorus a few days ago (very good instructions, BTW). I like this pedal more each time I play it. It is feature rich with a base warm and lush chorus. Every setting has inspired me which I wish I could say more often. There are a few good reviews from the MysToury Box Project: http://www.tonesafari.com/id47.html

Here is my finished DonnerBox pedal:

[​IMG]

Thanks again, Donner! :AOK

13. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I can speak to the tremolo, also the Vibra-trem.

I built the Tremolo kit after having been through a Nobels TR-X (best up until then), a Demeter Tremulator (to me, not a musical trem, and just didn't wound good to me), Fulltone Supa-trem (liked it, but the chop was too choppy and also I couldn't get the soudn I wanted)...

Then I built the kit. I was blown away. Up the that point this was MY perfect tremolo. I want simplicity in a trem, I want the "swamp Trem" sound, I like using trem with OD on slide work and other things..

This pedal was and is a keeper. In the meantim I had bought a used Marshall Vibra-trem. I was so happy with the kit that I tried to cancel the Vibra-trem but the guy had already sent it. I'm glad. The Vibra-trem is excellent also...they are neck and neck. The built-in buffer sounds great to me, though the kit is true-bypass, I don't have a problem with either. An extra though on the vibra-trem is vibrato (true vibrato, meaning wavering above and below the not by the amount and time dialed in) also, and very easily tweaked. It is very flexible (though the power has to be strong...9v. On batteries (possibly too old batteries) it didn't "trem" as much as I would have liked.

They really are neck and neck. I ended up (so far) using the Vibra-trem on my board, saving the BYOC for backup...but that could change at any time. Both are inexpensive, relatively.

14. AdamGian

AdamGian Member

I've had a BYOC delay with the effects loop option for a while now. I had it built for me (not that I can't build one from the kit, just wanted it to work :D ).

It's good in terms of creating a analog sounding repeats which are a bit darker than the original note. I'm big on Echoplexes, both tube and the EP-3's so that's what I can compare it to. Compared to an Echoplex, its more present sounding. Those that are familiar with the EP-3 know that it causes a certain lack of presence and adds warmth to the whole signal that is hard to explain - I LIKE IT!

The BYOC delay is far more transparent in terms of the original note, but dark and warm (and a bit distorted) as the repeats trail off. I played around a lot with the effects loop and like the way it sounds with a vibrato on the repeats. More like an echoplex when cofigured that way. My echoplexes have a more swishy effect on the repeats that is hard to replicate using the loop on the BYOC. It's a good box for the price.

15. Seegs

Seegs Member

I built the kit with the loop and it was tons of fun...the delay itself sounds pretty darn good and clear and it is most useable...plus it holds together well and doesn't mush out with dirt boxes b4 it...

the loop sounds great with chorus in it but not with any of the dirt boxes I have tried...the od somehow sounds like it is sitting on top of the delay or not part of it...I guess it is an impedance issue but if I had to do it again I would get it without the loop as the main reason I got the loop was to just have to kick on one pedal for delay'd overdriven sounds...

Chow,
    Seegs