1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

How's the clean headroom on a Budda Superdrive 18???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jimmyohio75, Feb 16, 2009.

1. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

I played one of these over a year ago and due to all the positive press on this forum I find myself GASSING for one. My band plays mainly gritty, dirty blues(think ZZ Top). We only have 2-3 clean songs but I still need decent clean headroom for some of the smaller clubs we play. We only get mic'd at the larger venues around here. My '59 Bassman has plenty of juice and it will remain my go to amp for gigs but I have been searching for a nice backup for quite a while. Thanks to Uncle Sam my tax return will be sizeable this year and I want to blow it on an amp.
    I need to know if the SD 18 has decent headroom. I owned an Egnater Rebel 20 and it didn't have the headroom needed. If anyone has experience with both using the Rebel for reference which has more clean headroom?
    I have no problem moving up to the SD 30 if that will give me the clean headroom I need.

2. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

What the hell...two hours and no responses? Where's all the Budda guys around here?

3. Tonemeister69

Tonemeister69 Member

I myself am thinking about picking one of these babies up.

Bump for you and me both!

4. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

5. Tonemeister69

Tonemeister69 Member

Great advice.

Anyone else?

:munch

6. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

I wish I could help. I had a SDII 18 head for a short time, but only got to try it out at home. Took it to church one practice, but I forgot the AC cord to plug it in! :jo

I had to send it back to MF for financial reasons.

FWIW, I thought it sounded really good... I'd want to do that mod though so you can adjust between the clean channel volume and lead channel volume (not everyone feels this is necessary, though). I'd love to try/have one again.

btw--it definitely had more clean headroom than the Laney Lionheart 112 combo I have now (which is 5 watts!).

7. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

Put it this way, you're talking about an amp model that comes in 18, 30, 45, and 80 watt versions. All of which are available for very reasonable prices on the used market. If clean headroom is a concern at ALL, why in the world would you go for the lowest-wattage model? To save a hundred bucks versus getting a 30? It wouldn't make any sense.

(ps - speaking as somebody who has owned and loved the 18 a few times...it's not a knock against the 18 at all, just common sense, IMO...)

8. Mullenski

Mullenski Gold Supporting Member

Have both a SD18 and a Deluxe Reverb. If you're talking clean, clean, it's not the SD18. Could keep up with the Deluxe until the Deluxe was on about 4, then the SD started to break up pretty noticeably.

The SD18 is a great amp. Yes, do the channel balance mod. Also, agree with prior poster -- just go with one of the bigger versions.

9. spyeman

spyeman Supporting Member

I had a SDII 18 for a while, it's a great amp, very very loud for 18 watts, but if you're looking for a clean clean, as the above poster said, this aint it, it's got a little hair on it at almost any volume level, in fact, I would say it has one of the less cleanest clean channels out there, maybe they call it the rhythm channel for that, the rhythm channel does one of the best chimey crunch sounds I've ever heard.

10. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I LOVE LOVE my SD18, but if you're used to the headroom and volume of a Bassman, I would recommend the 30 or 45 for more headroom. IMHO, the SD series has absolutely perfect drive with balanced articulation and bite, never harsh and zero fizz. Incredible chimey chunch, but no Leo-like clean sounds in that amp.

Occasionally I run my SD18 WITH my Mesa Lone Star set to a huge clean tone and the combo is just ridiculously awesome.

Cannot go wrong with Budda!!

11. Andre357

Andre357 Member

I own the 18 and 30.......the 18 gets the call 99% of the time because it seems to have a bit more low end breadth ( the guys at budda concur with this ). I get ample clean headroom with mine, the band I'm in does a number of clean standards and r&b, soul, country- amp always holds up even through horns/keys etc.

It's a very loud 18 watts with a very effecient speaker ( assuming your using their cabs or the combo version )...Keep in mind I use single coils exclusively and I do mic at just about every gig with a senheiser 609.

The 30 watt version is no louder IMHO - it just gives a bit more headroom with humbuckers. It's also a bit brighter - so perhaps if you use humbuckers the 30 watter is the way to go for you. The 18 watter excels with single coils ( it's a fantastic tele amp IMHO )

A tip - put a clean boost in the budda effects loop - you can use it as a master volume. You get very loud cleans this way.

At certain gigs i set my balance between the two channels and then use the clean boost as a master volume.

Also, lately l have been using am eventide timefactor in the loop of my budda as a boost.... I set the IN of the TF to guitar level and the OUT to line level and it gives me quite a clean boost of volume. Helps me to get a freakish amount of LOUD clean headroom from 18 watts ( i think the power section of the buddas can take quite a hit without distorting )....

let us know how you make out...

PS - i tried a rebel for the first time at GC over the weekend...pretty cool sounding amp for sure.. but i could tell quickly it did not have the same clean headroom my budda 18 watter had..

now they weren't side by side - but that was my gut feeling after trying one through the egnater 1x12 cab.

as i mentioned the budda proprietary speaker is very effecient which helps give the impression of more clean headroom i think.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  12. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Good info...thanks!

13. lpaul626

lpaul626 Silver Supporting Member

I have a 30 I and it's become my main gigging amp. I play in a fairly loud Top 40 cover band with 2 gtrs. The master is typically on 10:00 and there is plenty of headroom. I considered the 18, but decided to go with the 30 just to ensure there was sufficient headroom. The 30 suits me perfectly.

14. afterburner

afterburner Supporting Member

bump..!

I was very close to buying an SD30 but now I'm wondering if 18 is enough...

I don't need to play very clean, especially not at loud volumes... but is the 18 too compressed and dark when you turn it up?

I only play in small clubs, and no outdoor venues as yet...

thanks

15. spyeman

spyeman Supporting Member

The 18 I had was loud, I mean LOUD, much more so than my 50watt Orange Rockerverb, but I would never call the Budda tone compressed or dark when turned up, it opens up to be a monster!!!!!! Great great tones on both channels, but too me, it had to be pretty loud to get the awesome tones it can produce.