How's the logjam over at Warmoth?

Axeplyr

Platinum Supporting Member
I'm wanting to order a custom body and neck, but based on their website and reports here, it's an extremely long wait thanks to Covid.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with wait times? I realize that the quicker you order the quicker you get in the queue, but if it's a 3-month wait, I just assume hold off until they catch up and things speed up a bit.

I'm sure if I order something today and have to wait too long, in a couple months I'll want to change it. :bonk

Andrey

It is one month wait for me at the moment, with ready showcase neck and body, but some additional job to do. When i was ordering i calculated 7-9 weeks with all the delays, still to find out if it is right :)

smallbutmighty

Silver Supporting Member
I'm wanting to order a custom body and neck, but based on their website and reports here, it's an extremely long wait thanks to Covid.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with wait times? I realize that the quicker you order the quicker you get in the queue, but if it's a 3-month wait, I just assume hold off until they catch up and things speed up a bit.

I'm sure if I order something today and have to wait too long, in a couple months I'll want to change it. :bonk
Right now our stock answer is "a few weeks longer than the normal turnaround posted on our website". IRL it depends on what you order. The biggest pinch-points are in the fret and finish departments. Other departments are doing better, but still a little behind.

So...quickest orders would be things from the in-stock showcase that don't need frets or paint. Slowest would be a custom build-to-order neck that needs frets and a finish. Everything else will be somewhere in between.

And honestly this situation is totally crazy. May was the biggest month in Warmoth's history, by a MASSIVE margin. June just ended yesterday, and guess what....second biggest month in Warmoth's 40 year history, only just behind May. Meanwhile, we were completely closed for SIX WEEKS due to mandatory government shutdowns.

That's bonkers.

Given the choice between drowning in orders or drowning in debt I would certainly choose the former, but it's still a massive challenge to work through.

Last edited:

smallbutmighty

Silver Supporting Member
Also, just so you all know: Warmoth has temporarily suspended all employee vacations, time off, etc. It is all-hands-on-deck right now.

We are all purposefully engaged in getting your orders filled as rapidly as possible without sacrificing QC.

Chad11491

I ordered a lightweight swamp ash body that had to be routed and finished on 4/12 and got it 6/12. Ordered a showcase neck and a tortoise pickguard for it on 5/19 and they were delivered this past Friday (PG) and this Monday (neck)

I ordered a completely finished body on 5/30 and got it 6/11.

So roughly 8ish weeks on the body needing a finish and routing, including their shutdown time, 1.5 weeks for showcase needing nothing, and 5 weeks for the neck.

Quality was absolutely flawless as usual

samdjr74

Silver Supporting Member
I need to order a replacement neck from them soon. Figured I'd wait until things calmed down a little.

bluegrif

Sounds to me like they’re doing a great job given the circumstances. If I didn’t have so damn many expenses (combined with so many lost gigs) I’d be ordering a Hybrid Strat body right now!

crazymauler

Gold Supporting Member
My custom body took 1 month (delivered in March), custom neck took 3 months (delivered early June), and that included their 6-week shutdown. I think that's pretty remarkable, and I'm super happy with the quality (my avatar is a pic of the guitar). This was supposed to be my quarantine project that took all summer and I've already completed it and planning another one. My hat's off to Warmoth and to @smallbutmighty for the fantastic videos, they're super helpful, informative, very well produced, and he just seems like an overall righteous dude. :rockin

Axeplyr

Thanks for the reply @smallbutmighty and everyone else for your inputs.

What I want is indeed custom, both neck and body. I stare at the in-stock bodies and necks all the time and see stuff I love, but I have really specific needs that only seem available if I build custom.

what I’m reading is I should wait a little longer until things settle down.

normal ninja

my most recent order is a showcase neck which needed frets. i ordered 5/26 & have tracking that shows it arriving today

i've been ordering through the pandemic & waiting & building as stuff arrives. just a little patience

i recently received the body for this neck. a full custom order. it took about the same time

no paint/finish on either

Last edited:

smallbutmighty

Silver Supporting Member
that sounds awful, im sorry to hear that. Greed and Money speaks.
An interesting response.

I'll just say this: Warmoth is a great company to work for, and has been very generous to its employees through all this. Everyone here is happy with the situation, and glad to be working hard after way too much time off.

Last edited:

Trending Topics