1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Hows this for a guitar tech?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Sparky6string, May 24, 2011.

1. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

I had a guitar shipped to me that arrived damaged, so I went about claiming the insurance through USPS and got the guitar to my local guitar tech. He claimed he had a few guitars before mine so I said OK, both of us knowing that there was a limit on time to get the info off to claim insurance. A week and a half go by and I call and just tell them to fix it since I can't wait any longer to get the claim started. They say OK.

I got a call from the a few days to a week after that saying that my guitar is ready and is in "beautiful playing condition". After getting the guitar home I noticed that they did not do most of what I asked them to do, but besides that there is residual glue in a few spots on the guitar, there were burrs that were not sanded on the neck stretching several inches, it was out of tune even!

I call them right away and let them know that very little of what we agreed to have done was done and what was done was not done well. They said to bring it back in. The manager claimed there was a mix up and he screwed up. They now tell me that I'll have to wait a couple more weeks because they had guitars to get to before mine again. I said that was unacceptable since I had already waited two weeks and they did a rotten job. They said OK but here it's been almost two weeks.

They were first given the guitar on 4/27/11, almost a month ago. I have not been able to play this guitar at all. Is this the norm to jerk people around like this or do I have a right to my anger here?

2. frank4001

frank4001 Member

Nope thats really bad... Anger will get you no where though. Tough it out, get the guitar back , hopefully fixed, and never go back..

3. big jilm

big jilm Supporting Member

Went through similar with a place here in Texas. Pisses me off.

4. kenneth

kenneth Member

Since I am in the bay area also, I'm hesitant to ask who this is, but curious. Maybe you can send me a PM.

I have had hits and misses with guitar techs. It is great when you can establish a relationship with one for repeat business and repeat expectations. Since Rich Collopy passed away two years ago, I have been sans luthier. Really, really happy with Rich's work. But projects are building up, so I need to make some decisions.

No, your experience is not normal, nor would be acceptable to me. I also had a "not good" experience with a local guitar tech, quite a while ago, where the guitar was not setup as I had asked. Furthermore the grounding on the guitar was "fixed", and a pickup stopped working mysteriously. I was not really upset about the setup, as this could have been easily fixed, but the changes to the guitar wiring, I was not happy with at all.

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  5. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Your first problem was that you noticed these things when you got the guitar home. ALWAYS inspect at the point of repair. You shouldn't pay until you are happy. If you aren't happy, you don't pay.

6. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Ah thanks for having my back fellas. Josh- I wasn't there to pick it up- I had someone do that for me because I don't get around much anymore. Had I been there I would have noticed that stuff. This is nutty stuff. After I get the guitar back I plan to give him a stern talking to or something IDK. He can't freakin make folks get in line twice because of his stupidity.

These string buzzed so badly, even worse than his strings normally do; this is the 4th guitar or so I have had him setup for me and there have been problems before. I take the time to write out all the instructions by hand (and my RA makes that an experience) and these whackadoos forget it all, do the opposite etc.

I live in Fairfield. Anyone know a decent tech in this vicinity? =/

7. BarryE

BarryE Member

did you take it to Subway (Fat Dog)? I had a similar experience there with a 12 string

8. zastruga

zastruga Member

My local guitar shop (the only one in town) does the same thing with guitars and blew one of my amps up (by putting tubes in he found in an old TV in a dumpster.. wtf?). Some places just need to be avoided at all costs. Make sure and tell all your friends to steer clear too!

9. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

I live in Petaluma, so I think it's too far away.....but Ernie at Tall Toad is fantastic. I brought in a 2007 NAMM '62 Strat that needed a set-up. He came in on his off day, and had the guitar back in my hand just 3 days later.....in perfect playing condition.

10. natmiss

natmiss Member

I work in a guitar shop and that is unacceptable. If somebody gets work done at our shop, or any reputable shop for that matter, and we screwed up, the problem gets fixed the same day and we hand them a free pack of strings.

11. wizard333

wizard333 Member

This is what happens when jackasses pass themselves off as techs.

12. mullytron

mullytron Supporting Member

Agreed that is uncool and unacceptable. You should absolutely feel free to vote with your feet and your dollars. No need to flame on, but pass the word! You could be saving your buddies some headache, and some bucks. Best of luck.

13. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

SO I finally lost my patience and called them up to find that my guitar had not even been looked at yet. That was a month to the day after first bringing it in. So I definitely do not recommend Live Music Center in Vacaville CA unless you're just trying to get rid of a guitar.

Now to find someone to do real work on it. I've had specific recommendations but could use more. And someone close to me would be a bonus but not absolutely necessary. My buddy Skip believes strongly in a guy he knows so there's one to try but if there are more please list them here or PM me please. Thanks fellas.

14. XKnight

XKnight Member

I bet they put a shim in that guitar. Shim issues are becoming very common these days and oftentimes no one will admit to how the shim got there.

15. bazooka47

bazooka47 Member

It often astounds me the way some businesses operate. It's almost as if they are trying to drive away customers. If that were my shop, and the OP called me with (legit) complaints about the initial repair, I would not have hesitated to put a good tech on it with instructions to "make the guy happy, even if I have to pay you to work late".

16. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

this ^^^ is words of wisdom