How's this sound for a Valveking combo?

Discussion in 'Gear Demo Videos & Sound Clips Archive' started by midnightlaundry, Sep 20, 2008.

1. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

2. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

3. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2008
  4. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I got to say I think that recording sounds real nice...makes me want to check one out, so what were your final tweaks to the amp for that recording!

5. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

Welp, as much as I tried, I couldn't get the regular lead channel to tighten up the way I'd like it to. So, I broke down and engaged the boost switch.

I have JJECC83S's in V1-V2, and I have a JAN Philips 12AT7 in the P.I. spot. I plug into the #2 input of the amp, and run the gain at 2. This give the sound some clairity without being to gainy. Everything else is stock.

Stay tuned, and maybe I'll change my mind again...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2008
  6. datriani

datriani Member

I tried one of these amps out at a store while checking out a guitar and it's probably one of the best amps for under $1000. Amazing what peavey is putting out at such a ridiculously low price. A brand new all tube combo with all the features, 50 watts for under $400? That's insane....but maybe it's a marketing ploy where they get people interested and then jack up the price year 2-4 of production. There's gotta be a catch somewhere but if not, hopefully that will drive the prices of a good sounding amps down.

7. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

THis is how I feel about the amp price wise. I mean, what else do you want for under $400? It's all tube, and sounds better than a crappy modeler. Ahh, the benifits of overseas labor. :YinYang

I think they should include a footswitch with it though. I got my 112 off' eBay w/footswitch for $325.

I did break out the flat black spray paint, and redid the badge plate. Those half ass wings had to go! :barf1I think it looks more dignified now. :BEER

[​IMG]

8. Derelict

Derelict Member

heck,
    that sounded nice and warm. i liked it a lot.

9. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

Yeah it's a decent amp for the money. But when You consider the cost of the foot switch ($40.00 for a piece of plastic), a new speaker ($100.00 considering You get a speaker You like the first try), new tubes for swapping (the 6L6's out of My HRDx sound better) it all starts to add up. I only like the lead channel at low gain settings. My Peavey Hot Foot sounds better for higher gain settings. I admit I like it somewhat but it's the last budget amp I'll buy. I did this with a HRDx and a Crate VC5212. I'm going to get along with it till I can buy a really great amp.

10. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

I'm sure I'd like a different speaker in there. Maybe a British Lead from WSG. I wish I knew more about electronics though. Because, I'd tweak the Lead channel, and make it more like a Rockmaster Crunch channel which sounds great.

I think one of the problems is that you only get a High dial, and no Presence. So, I think they tried to fit it all in one on the High dial. I wish I could tweak in some lower highs, and dial back the presence.

Maybe an 80 watt British Lead is the ticket. It would eat up a lot of that high end in a good way. :messedup

11. Wesman61

I like the lead channel at lower gain settings with My strat. It's just that I don't like the sound and feel with the lead boost on. It just sounds harsh when I'm standing there as opposed to hearing a recording of it. Maybe I'm just getting old. I feel the stock tubes are fine for My uses. The Emi Wizard makes the clean channel very nice and punchy. Just the right amount of sparkle. It's a great pedal amp and the volume controls have the perfect taper.

As far as modding goes, I replaced the bright cap with a more Fendery value. It would be easy to mod but I'd rather not do any more mods.

12. richey88

richey88 Member

Leadfoot, I'm guessing it would hold it's own at a gig? Was that the stock speaker on the recordings? VERY nice sound (good chops too!). How about cleans? Clean clip please? Any pedals EQ or otherwise on the Darkness clip? How does it take pedals? I know, lots of questions....I am totally into the budget tube scene ('cause I'm poor), got some clips of the Crate V18 112 for comaparison here's 1: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6871800). Sounds real good Leadfoot!

13. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

Thanks mang. THere was nothing added to the tones, other than a little EQ to compensate for the mics. That's it. I don't have any pedals though.

I'll post a clean clip in this thread latter. I need to get a knap far a little while! :hide I'll do it tonight.

14. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

Excellent song choice!!

I like it, nice and crunchy.

15. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

16. Wesman61

Great clip LFD. As far as pedals it works great. Also I found a use for the class A A/B knob. There is very little tonal difference at low volume. With the clean channel volume at around 11:00 to 12:00 and the knob all the way to the A/B side it's got a nice clean sound. Turn it all the way to the class A side and it's a pushed slightly lower volume sound. Works great with a Bad Monkey.

17. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Clean sound at 11:00 or 12:00!? Wow, that is getting pretty loud! :eek:

I never run my VK212 past 11, at that level it is loud enough to drown everybody else during practice!

18. Wesman61

The VK212 is 100 watts. Mine is 50 with one 12" speaker. It's probably just right for club gigs.

19. fender tele

fender tele Member

Any chance of hearing those clips?

"The page you are requesting can not be found".

20. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Silver Supporting Member

The links are broken from my system. Anyone else having trouble?

I'd expect these to sound good though. I think just about any amp can be dialed up to sound good. To me, the difference is in the feel and how it responds to playing, different gutiars and pickups, control settings, how it sits in the mix, etc.

For some folks that's important, for others it's not, or they can't justify spending the money. Depending on your category or situation, Peavey makes some fine amps for the money, and THANK GOODNESS for that because I'd MUCH rather hear a Peavey tube while watching a band at a bar than a modeler. I don't care if you sound like "the record", I want to hear what YOU sound like!