How's Your Cooking Compared to Fast Food?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Campfired, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Campfired

Campfired Member

Lord preserve me. Yesterday, family traveled southeast to the local mall so we could upgrade our dumb phones to smartphones. Along the way, we stopped at a local eatery for some iced coffee and a small bite to eat.

The coffee was OK (Dunkin' Donuts), but can you tell the cooks in D&D their cooking was awful? Whatever they used, over-toasted, hard as a rock English muffins, ancient sausage, overcooked egg...the combination almost made me want to hurl. (Nothing like losing your lunch over some D&D food...)

Sorry for the rant. This sounds like an episode of America's Worst Cooks. Perhaps it is, but Lord, why did we have to stop at this place following our visit to the mall? The food made for some heated discussions in the car with family on the way home, and spoiled the rest of my day.

Would have thought this was about watching a 'Buick' commercial, but no, it was about feeling a bit "Ralph" or "Barfy" concern. o_O

2. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

You expected good cooking from Dunkin Donuts? just saying... :)

3. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

I heard so many good things over the years about Waffle House.... When I finally found one, the food was so bad I couldn't eat it, and I refused to pay. I did tip the waitress.... It wasn't her fault.

Heritage likes this.
  4. RevWillie

RevWillie Gold Supporting Member

My cooking is good enough for me; I rarely inflict it upon other people...

amstrtatnut, worxforme and jrjones like this.
  5. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

D&D is disgusting, the last couple times I mistakenly got "food" there I could barely eat it. Seriously, it seems more plastic than real. It's bad when you're knowingly buying and expecting crap, and yet it still surprises you just how crappy it is. Their donuts have changed as well, stiffer consistency and even less flavor. I'll still get their coffee and occasionally a choco frosted donut, but anything beyond that seems barely suitable for human consumption. No snobbery here, either...just genuine surprise at what they are legally allowed to call "food".

As to the thread title, my cooking is pretty good, but I used to cook professionally. There are no cooks at D&D, just teenagers reheating pre-packaged items in the microwave.

6. ford

ford Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Solid. It can be great at times if I decide to put in the preparation and take the time to really do something right.

I really like to cook. I really don't like to clean up.

7. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member

My cooking is pretty damn good. Been into cooking since college, and I really enjoy it.

Dunkin Donuts is basically McDonald's-level food, though. Best avoided!

8. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I think most everyone in New Orleans is under pressure to learn how to cook well. It is just in the air. You're also expected to know where to look for whatever fish is in season, to know the lineup for the Saints and LSU Tigers, how to peel and eat boiled crabs, how to shuck oysters efficiently, and so on.

I'm routinely appalled by restaurant food in other places. But the people there know how to slaughter a hog and how to diagnose & fix a problem on their combine, or can build a really nice residence for 40 cents on the dollar of what it would cost in New Orleans now. Everyone has their strengths. Chains are only as good as the local help they can hire and retain. In New Orleans, sous chefs and drummers and crack wait staff and horn players are always in the shadows, waiting to be hired. There is no similar reservoir of people in Colorado Springs - you just have to accept that.

Bankston and Multicellular like this.
  9. Matt Jones

Matt Jones Member

10. taez555

taez555 Member

Other than Donuts(which are made fresh every day), Dunkin Donuts doesn't cook their food.

It's reheated.

11. drewl

drewl Member

I learned how to do gourmet cooking when I worked at a country club (learned cool jazz stuff from cocktail hour musicians!)
    Also worked at a delicatessen, so I can make anything from an awesome cheesesteak to the fanciest of meals.

12. outlawten5

outlawten5 Member

^^^^Duncan Donuts. Or Dungeons and Dragons

derekd, TwoTubMan and sanrico like this.
  13. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

as I grew up, my parents owned three Italian restaurants. I started working doing food prep and cleaning at age 9, and worked all thru school.

never worked in the food biz ever again :D:D:D

but I absolutely love to cook, and my father taught me well. being a good cook seems to do something GOOD to the wimminz....they love it:)

14. FenderTone

FenderTone Gold Supporting Member

I love to cook, I've spent a lot of time developing recipes of foods I love. I'm very much aware of the level of competency of cooks in restaurants. I eat out exactly three times a week, we've been going to several of these restaurant for many years, one of them for twenty years. I've noticed that my favorite restaurants are very consistent; obviously the cooks follow exact cooking methods. My least favorite restaurants (but still great food) are inconsistent. We've been going to the same restaurant for breakfast many years and even something as simple as an omelet at this restaurant is beyond the reach of competency by some of the cooks. It's literally hit or miss depending on who is working that morning.

Bobby D likes this.
  15. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

I'm at the top of my game, been cooking for about 40 years. In the past week or so, I did a rack of lamb and a pork roast on the outdoor grill. Had some beef tenderloin fillets one night, I decided to do them in our cast iron skillet. Last night I whipped up some super nachos and guacamole. Mixed some chorizo in with the fresh ground beef. I make a great Margarita too.

It's time to cook some fish and seafood next. Luckily, there are several markets close to us to buy it fresh because we're on the Gulf of Mexico. Best shrimp and black grouper I have ever had. Ever had hog fish? Awesome.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/restaurants/hogfish-might-be-your-new-favorite-local-fish-6576566

I'll probably do blackened grouper in the cast iron and do a pasta dish with the fresh Gulf shrimp.

My wife is a lucky woman....

16. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

I wanna go to dinner at Rex's house!

outlawten5, FenderTone and bushitsuki like this.
  17. Sarutobi sasuke

Sarutobi sasuke Member

i'm a good cook. but dunkin donuts? seriously, my kids call that place dunkin bugnuts. one sunday i went to see my kids. they called and asked me to pick up donuts and choc milk. i went to dunkin and bought a dozen. my son pulled out a jelly , and was about to bite when he shouted "OMG THAT'S SOOOO GROSS" he held the donut out to me, and he was right. baked into the dough, with powder on it and everything, was a huge cockroach half in and half out of the dough. i took it back to the store and tried politely and quietly to get a refund. the guy wanted to give me more donuts instread. that's when i took the dounut around to everyone there in line for all to see. everyone left. the guy eventually caved and refunded the few bucks it cost for the donuts. but not before over a dozen people walked out of there first. seriously, the guy wanted to argue over less than $5, and lost tons of customers over it.

Multicellular likes this.
  18. Campfired

Campfired Member

Family takes turns cleaning up. Even have a framed poster in my room that says, "No husband was ever shot while doing the dishes." My sentiments exactly.

D&D was on a whim, we needed to use their men's room, bought some iced coffee and a sausage egg cheese muffin. Most likely wasn't a good day for the D&D cook; you can't blame them for trying; they're only hourly employees who deserve forgiveness like everybody else...but could they not experiment with their customer's food while doing so?

Dunkin' Donuts. The counterpart to Starbucks Coffee on the US east coast...

Jason Calieri likes this.
  19. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I do everything from scratch pretty much .... Soups, chili, BBQ, casseroles, breakfast, pies, cookies.

I've learned a lot here actually!! There are a bunch of good cooks on TGP!

Madsen and 65DuoSonic like this.
  20. FFTT

FFTT Member

One of their satellite bakeries was in my territory.

The kitchen was a grungy mess.