How's your singing voice?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by chillybilly, May 23, 2015.

1. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

Obviously the TGP focus is on instruments and instrumentalists but vocals are still an integral part of most music especially that which doesn't fall into certain categories (rap/hip-hop, jazz, bluegrass, etc.).

I'm curious about the subset of TGP members who also sing. It seems the poll generator has not been cranked up yet in the new software but the questions might be:

-Do you sing?
    -Lead or backing/harmony?
    -Are you satisfied with your vocals?
    -Are others?
    -Do you wish to do more, less or the same amount of vocals?

2. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

My voice is only good for a Leonard Cohen cover band and that's it, unfortunately.

3. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

I've sung lead for years...now I really prefer just bgvs/harmonies and to focus more on guitar. Harmonies, tenor/bari blends and leads np. I wish I had the voice and range I did a few years ago, but I'm thoroughly satisfied where I am as I'm not actively training my voice.

4. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

Unwelcome in most situations

snouter likes this.
  5. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I sing quite a bit.

Leads, I fit Tom Petty, John Mellen camp, Benjamin Orr, Paul Rogers, Neil Young, quite a range of stuff like that pretty well, and of course harmonies on whatever is needed. I do my own stuff too. I usually get songs shoved my way bands I've been in, so I guess they like my singing. I don't like my voice if I have to do something out of my range, it thins out too much if I go too high, other than that, it's pretty good....my pitch and control is good.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  6. Porrig

Porrig Member

In one of the bands I play in I do occasional backing vocals and in another I sing lead on about 30% of our material and do backing, where needed, on the rest. I think I'm just a reasonable singer and I benefitted enormously from getting lessons. I'd like to continue to improve my singing within the range I have.

7. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Likewise.
    I sound like a cross between Dave Mustaine and Beavis.

8. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

NOBODY wants to hear me sing.....especially me. I wish I could, but I can't. No matter how good I think I sound in the car singing along to whatever I'm listening to (I can hit all the notes........:D), I'm just not a good singer at all. I do some backup "yelling" in one of my bands, but I don't particularly like doing it cause I know that I sound horrible and because of that I'm a little self conscious about doing it.

9. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I sing a lot. In all my current bands, I sing mostly background vox. I've fronted bands in the past and may again if that seems right. I'm happy with my voice and I find harmonies very easily. If I could change something, I'd make my voice a little more ... interesting. Part of what makes me a good harmonizer is that my voice isn't dripping with character (if that makes sense) so it blends. But I think I'd be a better lead singer if my voice were more interesting.

Peace,

10. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

My voice is actually my main instrument, in terms of natural ability. But as I've gotten a little older, it's changed. A little rougher, and I can't sing quite as high (used to be able to sing all the high Tenor stuff... I mean way up there above high C).

Which do I enjoy the most? Guitar, of course.

11. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

My vocals are good or, should I say better than anyone I've heard around here but, my guitar playing is head and shoulders above my vocals. When I audition and they find out I can sing they shove a mic in front of me. When I play and sing my guitar playing suffers and I get judged to be a mediocre guitarist. It doesn't matter the drummer usually drowns out everything anyway.

RRC

12. s2y

s2y Member

My vocal tone is awful. No reason to work on pitch with tone this bad.

13. FFTT

FFTT Member

Some folks tell me I've got a cool unique voice referencing all kinds of artists.
    I have my influences, but I'm trying to sound like the best me.

14. bob-i

bob-i Member

I've studied voice more than guitar or sax. I've noticed that some folks will study and practice an instrument for hours everyday, but sing for 10 minutes then decide they suck and stop. For me vocals take more work to nail than guitar. I believe any musician with a good ear can learn to sing with a good teacher and enough practice.

In my classic rock band I sing stuff like early Clapton, Van Morrison, Molly Hatchet, the Outlaws. In my acoustic duo I sing most of the leads and the bass player sings the high harmonies.

I subscribe to what I call "speech level singing". I don't believe that you need to increase volume to sing. Some of the best singers in rock and soul sing fairly low volume. Billy G sings so soft you need to hug him to hear him, James Brown didn't push loud to be soulful. Harmonies especially sound best sung softly. The Beach Boys almost whisper when harmonizing.

Great thread

15. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

Yes
    Yes
    No
    Eh
    More

I know that when I am doing scales regularly I have less issues at gig and rehearsal. I usually forget to do them or do them for 5 minutes and get bored. This post reminds me to do them more.

16. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

Since you asked, I sing really well. It's my primary strength as a musician.

17. Skeet skeet!

Skeet skeet! Member

Not bad. Should really spend some effort developing it as it has more market value than guitar playing. But I dont sing on my own, I play guitar on my own.

-Do you sing? yes
    -Lead or backing/harmony? lead
    -Are you satisfied with your vocals? no
    -Are others? i guess
    -Do you wish to do more, less or the same amount of vocals? err

18. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

I have a decent voice, these days I sing mainly harmonies. I'll sing lead on 8 songs or so during a gig, to give our lead singer a break here & there.

I like my voice. I always had a bit of edge to it (think Alice Cooper) but I'm singing cleaner these days.

19. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

My voice has been great, but I wish I had more character in it. I can hit the notes, not pitchy etc. But whenever I hear myself on recording I just sound ... plain jane... to me.
    Right now there's been this crud running around, 4 members of the band have had it for a couple months and it's not gone completely yet. We all got it within a day of each other. Not like a cold, just dry throat, hacking but nothing there. Hard to reach the high notes and hard to growl at all...

20. Chris Hayden

Chris Hayden Member

I do a lot of lead vocals. I'm slightly above average lead singer and probably slightly below average backup singer. I'm not great at harmonizing but I can get by. I'd rather sing lead. I'm more of a Fogerty, Mellencamp type vocal. I'm lucky in that I seem to get stronger vocally as the gig goes on while most people fade as gigs go on. I'm happy with vocals but sometimes I hit some clams just like in my guitar playing. I think I like doing lead vocals almost as much as crunching chords on my Tele's.