Howto shorten a pot shaft?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by boneshaker335, May 22, 2006.

1. boneshaker335

boneshaker335 Member

Hi,

I need to shorten the shaft of the PEC pots that I want to use.

How should I do this without damaging the pot? I don't know how to mount/fix the pot for sawing.

When I mount the pot the normal way using its bushing, will the sawing (=ripping on the shaft) damage something on the inside?

Peter

2. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

The last time I did this I used needle-nose locking crescent wrench and a cutoff wheel on my dremel tool. Use a grinding wheel on the dremel to make a nice bevelled edge of the shaft once cut.

3. rooster

rooster Member

Easiest way is in a vise; put the shaft in the jaws, not the pot casing. Then put a strip of masking tape over the access hole in the casing to keep the metal shavings out of the guts of the pot. Then cut it off with either a hacksaw or a dremel cutoff wheel. You can file the burrs out by grasping the remainder of the pot shaft with needlenose pliers and filing. Don't hold onto the casing of the pot for any of this, as this will stress the guts of the pot.

rooster.

4. V846

V846 Member

I just chopped some, probably should have done as donnyjaguar & rooster did buy securing the shaft but I just loaded the pots in a blank chassis and dremeled them off and beveled..no problems..I reckon the dremel doesnÂ’t exert much force but the heat was a concern so I did little at a time plus the chassis was aluminum which helped absorb some of the heat..
    David

5. V846

V846 Member