• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

HR Deville Tubes PLEASE HELP!

EvinBrady

Okay so I figure it's time to change tubes. I have an early run USA Hot Rod Deville. It had 3 of the Fender 12ax7wa and a pair of the groove tube gt 6l6c in it.
I have a great pedal platform but I do run it clean a lot.
I play a very bluesy R&B style using a lot of jazz chords.
I often scoop my mids.
When I use an overdrive it's usually my original zendrive or a Ts808
And I usually don't turn my amp up past 3 or 4 (which sucks because it starts sounding amazing at 5 to 7) then it just makes your ears bleed.

I like the heavy tight bass and sparkly high end I had.
But there is always room for improvement.

I was thinking about
V1. 5751
V2. 12au7
V3. 12ax7

And 6l6 power tubes

I don't know what brands? Sure NOS would be great but let's be for real you can wrap up $400 easy on NOS tubes. That's a nice used amp!

I read good things about the jj 5751, good things about the mullard 12ax7.
I don't know what 6l6 to get. I know how to bias the power tubes.
From what I've read the preamp tube are self biasing on these amps.?????

Help give me opinions, options. And please put why and what kind of sound it should give me if you suggest another style.

Thank you so so much

61Ephramite

Silver Supporting Member
I have owned a HRD since '96 and tried every conceivable combination of tubes. 12at7's and 12au7's are function tubes, more of a driver type, with lower gain factors but not much in the way of tone. A 12ay7 or 5751 will lower your gain and still retain some tonal qualities for you.

Try a 5751 in V1 and a 12ay7 in V2 with a 12at7 in V3 as a phase inverter. Then switch V1 and V2 and see which sounds best to you. The challenge with a 12ay7 is finding a good one that's not noisy. The Electro-Harmonix is only OK at best. I'd check out what KCA tubes has in stock and definitely go NOS. You'll end up with a much better sounding amp.

I also owned a DeViile until recently. I did the reverb mod and tone stack mod found on the Justin Holton site, and put an Eminence Governor and Red, White, and Blues combination in it. It was a VERY nice sounding amp.

SGspecial

Here's what I put in mine:

V1: Sovtek 5751
V2: Tung-Sol 12AX7
V3: Sovtek 12AX7WC
V4 & V5: TAD 6L6WGC-STR

IMO it made a noticeable improvement in tone over the stock tubes.

EvinBrady

I have owned a HRD since '96 and tried every conceivable combination of tubes. 12at7's and 12au7's are function tubes, more of a driver type, with lower gain factors but not much in the way of tone. A 12ay7 or 5751 will lower your gain and still retain some tonal qualities for you.

Try a 5751 in V1 and a 12ay7 in V2 with a 12at7 in V3 as a phase inverter. Then switch V1 and V2 and see which sounds best to you. The challenge with a 12ay7 is finding a good one that's not noisy. The Electro-Harmonix is only OK at best. I'd check out what KCA tubes has in stock and definitely go NOS. You'll end up with a much better sounding amp.

I also owned a DeViile until recently. I did the reverb mod and tone stack mod found on the Justin Holton site, and put an Eminence Governor and Red, White, and Blues combination in it. It was a VERY nice sounding amp.
As a phase inverter?

EvinBrady

Well I tried many variations between 12ax7, 12au7, 5751 and 12ay7 in the preamp section. I settled on the 12ay7 in the v1, and the 12ax7 in the v2 and v3. The 5751 in the v1 was a close second. And the 5751 in the v1 and 12ay7 in the v2 and v3 also sounded good. The au7 withe the ay7s behind it also sounded good but it was very bright probably good for chicken pickin. I did go with the TADs as well

Trending Topics

Top Bottom