HRDX fix

buellracer

I've owned my '02 hot rod since I bought it new in'02. I gigged with it for several years when I was in college and for the past sveral years it has sat idle with only occasional play because I've obtained other amps that I liked better. Reason being is that my hot rod, even after I've loaded it with expensive NOS tubes years ago has always had this super bad ice pick to the ear 1k spike that I couldn't even dial out with an mxr 10 band in the effects loop and an outrageous huge flub by bottom with my Les Paul. Seriously me tele is the only guitar that ever sounded half way ok with it.
This morning I decided to rebias it as it's sad idle for so long. Long time ago I was trying to warm it up and biased the thing at 74mV. So I tried backing it off and set it at 62.9 this morning. All I can say is WOW! I was considering selling the amp and I can't believe biasing the amp colder helped it sound SO much better! I was thinking of selling it to because it really sounded nothing like a fender. Now it sounds pretty close to a deluxe reverb. Beautiful cleans and it really helped the crazy volume jump on the vol knob and even made the drive channels sound better.
Ready to spend some time with this amp again now after almost 12 years of hating it. Hope this helps someone else out along the way. This amp prefers to run cooler.

demea26

Wow, you spent 12 years with an amp you hate? I spend 12 minutes with one I don't like and off to Craigslist it goes.

buellracer

LOL! I bought other amps over the years and just kept this one in the corner. Over the years I'd read so many other people's complaints and speaker swapping over the same issue with varying results. I'm interested in trying different speakers out now, before I just didn't want to throw any more money at it because I didn't like it.
I'm not one to trade a lot of gear around because I'll do just like this and wind up liking it one day so I'd miss it.
One day I guess I'll have so many guitars and amps that my wife will call me a hoarder and make me sell some

Trending Topics