HRDX Limited Editions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by guitar_butler, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Anyone here have the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Limited Editions and have you done any mods and how satisfied are you with the tone? I purchased mine and it has the Violet color Tolex with a Celestion Vintage 30 driver. The only thing I've done is a re-tube with JJ's 6V6's and ECC83s and it sounds even better now and the volume is more manageable. I have yet to like the gain channels and I think Fender failed in this area with the amp. But, this amp sounds amazing with my Fulltone OCD and GT500 pushing it.

2. Clear Guy

Clear Guy Member

Ive got one with the Jensen C12N in it which sounded great. I went down the Mods road with the Omega amps HRD mods. It did not live up to the hype. You can waste a lot of time and money and still not be any better than where you are now. These threads can break you as much as they can help you. your first instinct is always right. I say play it and dig it for what it is cause its probably not going to get that much better. some light.

3. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't just buy a pedal and forget the OD channel exists. I have the normal HRDX and can't say enough good things about it.

4. rdamato

rdamato Supporting Member

I'm getting mine back from Jim today. I agree, for $250.00, it's worth a shot. I'll keep you guys posted.

Ron

5. jazzguitarplay

jazzguitarplay Member

im sure if you put it next to many multi thousand dollar boutique amps, my opinion might change but Jim Price is a amp teckie genius. Not only that, but hes a fine and humble person that doesent over charge for his services. My future prediction is Fender will eventully hire him to do limited edition HRD's for big bucks so jump on one now. Im trying to get Jim to get a booth at Namm next year and Id be honored to go out there with him and preview his magical mods and hand built Skyline series. Im honored to play his amps. If he wasent such a humble, down to earth god ly man, hed be rich right now

6. bigroy

bigroy Member

I had the Omega mod done, but it wasn't for me. You can't really tell anything about an amp until YOU play it. Clips and reviews are great, but lot's of money gets spent based on opinions and reviews, and more often than not, at least in my case, the results were less than I hoped for.

Not that the Omega mod is bad, it's just something that I couldn't warm up to.

BTW, the guy who bought it from me absolutely raves about it. To each his own....