• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

HSH position 2 and 4 question

Backdoorslam

Im looking to buy an HSH guitar. I was wondering what thesound in the position 2 and 4 are like. The position where the humbucker combines with the middle single coil.

Do people prefer that configuration or when the neck humbucker splits into a single coil to combine writhe idle single coil.

CubanB

It doesn't sound like a strat IMO.

It sounds unique.. SORT of like a strat.. sort of quacky.. but also sort of not. As you'd expect.. it sort of sounds like a hybrid.

The other thing.. is when you have a strat, you have S S S.. so the 2 and 4 positions are of similar volume. With H S H.. you get a big volume drop, which makes it harder to use without playing with volume knob or boost pedals. You can get hotter middle pickups, or make the pickup closer to the strings for more output but yeah..

It's still going to be a volume drop.. when comparing 2 and 4 positions of humbucking guitars, compared to 2 and 4 positions of a strat.

Backdoorslam

So can any one give examples of songs in which similar tones are found. Tried a few today and yeah the volume is pretty large.

cratz2

Silver Supporting Member
Are you talking about a guitar that has H/S/H pickups, a 5 way switch and doesn't do any sort of coil splitting when on the #2 and #4 positions?

If they coils on the HBs aren't being split, those #2 and #4 positions aren't going to be very stratty at all.

There are plenty of ways to get the guitar to split when in the #2 and #4 positions. I have a Yamaha PAC604 that is H/S/S and when on the bridge+middle position, the bridge pickup splits automatically and that tone is very, very strat-like. And I previously had another guitar that had a Fender H/S/S pickguard from some stock Fender that had Tex Mex pickups in the neck and middle an a custom HB of some sort (still stock though) and that guitar auto-split the bridge HB and it sounded exactly like a traditional strat in that position.

I've played a handful of Suhrs that sounded really fantastic in the #2 and #4 positions as well.

Trending Topics