HSH Tele - can anyone tell me what they like/dislike about them?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by geoangus, Feb 9, 2015.

1. geoangus

geoangus Member

I'm looking at a very nice HSH T type, but I'm just not sure about the setup. For starters, it just looks weird, having that configuration on a Tele body. But if I can get the array of tone out of it that I think I can, I'll get used to the look easy enough.

I have to admit though, I haven't seen many. Does anyone have experience with one? What did you like, dislike, or was it just like any other guitar you've had?

2. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

I would rock it if it sounds right. You don't see a ton of Tele bodies hot rodded like that.

3. guitararmy

guitararmy Member

I like them. You can check out pics of similar guitars on the Tom Anderson Guitarworks website, as he's been doing that configuration for a while.

It's very versatile especially if you can coil tap the humbuckers.
    I have a TA Hollow T in ash with that H-S-H setup. With a fixed bridge it rocks nicely with the bridge pu and gets jazzy with the neck pu.

4. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with such a guitar, but one of the things I like about the Tele is the sound, and that's a function of the stock pickups and bridge pickup surrounded by the metal bridge. You can put HSH pickups in a Tele-shaped body but I would argue that at that point it's not really a Tele. You could as easily use any other body shape, so the Tele aspect is kind of moot.