HSH Wiring help

hank57

Platinum Supporting Member
I have an HSH Telecaster body arriving and the typical tele control plate, almost. See I wanted a Gibson 3way switch and a tone with a push/push switch. After looking over the switches I came up with this as my design for the wiring. I'd have a normal 3 way for the humbuckers, and the p/p switch off the neck and add the middle. This would give me a middle only when the 3 way was switched to neck.
When the 3 way is in the middle or on the bridge it would be middle and bridge.

I have looked around a bit but have not seen many choices for these switched together.

Comments or suggestions?

cardinal

I'm not familiar with the way that tone cap is wired, but the switching for the pickups looks like it'll do what you want.

hank57

Thanks cardinal. The cap is supposed to be like the wiring of a 50s Gibson.

rcl

Messing with the cap is easy enough, I've become a alligator clip jumper wire fan. With wierd switch/pup stuff it saves a lot of time. I've changed my HSH guitars a lot of times. Havent tried this before.

If your goal is to simply use the neck OR the middle, you could just use that one connection in the middle of the switch going to the 3-way with the pup lead on either end. The way I read this now, connecting the middle (when switched in) to the hot (basically to the hot lug on the V pot) and not where the neck pup connects to the 3-way would circumvents the switch, meaning the Middle is always on. So BM-BM-M.

That would leave the other half of the switch open of future fun. Like spliting the bridge pup when you are in middle mode for a strat like tweak or even more outside the box type stuff. Another random thought, though I love the idea of the Push/Push, I can never tell where it is until I play something which isn't always an option on stage. You could get really tricky and pop an LED in there with the B side of that switch. Okay, enough random thoughts...

Suggestion: Off: B-B/N-N On: B-B/M-M
___cover plate___
|- MID Pup
|-to 3 way-----+
|- NECK Pup

hank57

rcl thanks for the comments. I have some aligator clips and I have benen using today on a bass guitar wiring issue.

I should have mentioned the humbuckers are two wire only. And the 3-way is a Gibson pickup switch. I chose it because I want a switch that is up or down rather than front to back.

Trending Topics