HSH Wiring Help!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by ewatkins, Jan 3, 2018.

1. ewatkins

ewatkins Supporting Member

I've scoured the internet and there doesnt seem to be an available wiring diagram for what I'm wanting.

1 Master Vol Push/Pull to split neck Humbucker
    1 Master Tone Push/Pull to split Bridge Humbucker
    1 5way mega switch https://www.allparts.uk.com/products/5-way-switch-schaller-model-e-blade-megaswitch

I want it wired up like this (I will call pos 1 the switch all the way forward toward the neck the normal neck pickup position on the switch)

1. Neck
    2. Neck/Middle
    3. Neck/Bridge
    4. Middle/Bridge
    5. Bridge

This doesnt seem like it should be too complicated with the mega switch. What I have found most often is that people like to have one push/pull pot to split both pickups. I want to Split them independently that way I get the most possible options within reason. If anyone has wiring advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

2. stratamania

stratamania Member

If you were using Seymour Duncan pickups per the splits you would simply connect the red and white wire for each pickup respectively to the master volume switch for neck and to the master tone switch for the bridge. The switches in each case when engaged would need to connect the respective red and white wires to ground. (usually to the pot it is attached to as they are usually grounded. ) Adjust the coloring for your pickups accordingly.

The pickup switching with a super switch is pretty straightforward.

Note depending on the switch the numbering in any documentation may vary.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  3. lespauled

lespauled Member

Guess you didn't look everywhere.

[​IMG]

4. ewatkins

That's close but not exactly what I'm in need of. I want the volume push/pull to split the neck and the tone push/pull to split the bridge. And thats just a standard 5way switch in the diagram. I'm looking for something with a E-model megaswitch like in the original post. To get the middle position to be N/B I'll have to use a megaswitch.

5. stratamania

stratamania Member

As mentioned in my earlier post all you need to do for the coil split is move one of those red and white pairs like in the diagram to the other push-pull on the other pot. (Ignore the red wires between the switches on the back of the pots of that diagram they are not needed.

For the other stuff are you stuck with an E type switch or can you get a Fender type super switch?

Like this...

https://www.allparts.uk.com/products/4-pole-double-wafer-5-way-superswitch-for-guitar-w-screws

6. ewatkins

Thanks for the responses! I think I got it figured out based on Your help.

stratamania likes this.
  7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i've never been a big fan of H/S setups where you had a humbucker plus a middle single coil at the same time; it just sounded kind of murky, like a strat in-between setting but not as good, and it hummed.

for my money you'd be better off wiring it so that the #2 and #4 settings automatically split the humbuckers to combine with the single coil for proper stratty "quack" with no hum. this also lets you go from jangly in-between strat right to full-bore bridge humbucker with one click on the 5-way.

maximum "versatility" is pointless if the extra combinations don't sound that good or don't sound that different from each other, especially if it requires multiple switching steps to get through the options.

8. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

I agree. I've never had good luck mixing single coils with humbuckers. I've also never been able to condone the myriad controls some guitars have. Too many pots and switches just make the thing unwieldy. 37 combinations, of which maybe 4 or 5 are usable, a half dozen sound like crap, some are undefined, several combinations mysteriously just shut the guitar off, and it takes to long to even switch to the position you think you want, which you're probably just guessing at.

9. stratamania

stratamania Member

I am a little with you both of you, wire things up to achieve what you need so operation is straightforward. Sometimes experimentation is needed before arriving at that point.

Still, the OP wants what he wants so hopefully, he has sorted it out.

10. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Just a thought. If you are using a separate push pull for each pickup, why not just have it do series/parallel so you still get a bright, jangly option, but with no hum?
    I'm mostly over the sound of split humbuckers on their own, they buzz and often sound meh. Split combined with another pickup does work and sound a little better, imho.