HSS Fender Strat Pickups to pair with JB Bridge

AtomicBlaze

What singles would pair well with a JB in the bridge? I would like something that has nice cleans and can handle overdrive well. Preferably by Seymour Duncan or Fender. I don't want to go with expensive boutique pickups. The Fender is a MIM with maple neck.

Last edited:

AdmiralB

If I had to take a single Strat-type to a desert island, it would probably have Hot Noiseless pickups.

They're all 'wrong' - they're conventional stacked humbuckers (i.e. not 'noiseless' in the Kinman/DiMarzio sense), they have ceramic magnets...but they're the best all-around Strat pickups I've used. They're not my favorites - but they're the most versatile.

They sound almost like a caricature of a Strat - everything you think of in your head when you think "Strat sound". And they're about half again as loud as a standard pickup, but have none of the usual side effects (treble loss, mid boost) of hot pickups, so they match with HBs better than most traditional types. They're the only pickups I've ever used that do not have alnico rod magnets, and still do the 'skronk' thing when you really snap a wound string.

So that would be my recommendation, but I'd get two bridge pickups. When Bill Turner designed them, he was handed the parts he had to work with - and they included the bobbins, which comprised a bridge setup with standard pole spacing, and a neck/middle with narrower pitch.

He wound them identically - the coils are the same, although the neck/middle is a little taller due to bobbin design. But the catch is, the only covers that fit on the neck/middle are the aged white that comes with them. No other Fender cover fits properly; I have had some luck buying Asian-sourced covers (50mm, IIRC), but you have limited color choices. But the bridge uses standard Strat covers, so anything that fits a regular Strat pickup works.

johnh

When I had a strat with a JB in the bridge, I used Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups. I think they're called APS pickups. They're superb in a brighter sounding guitar, since they're lovely and warm sounding. If the guitar was darker, I might look for a brighter set.

Nowadays, I've unfortunately discovered the "something extra" that hand wound pickups have over mass produced pickups, so I'd probably go wth Antiquity Texas Hot pickups to compliment a JB humbucker.

Thorazine Dream

Silver Supporting Member
I've had fralin vintage hots and a jb in my main strat for nearly 15 years...awesome combo. IMHO, a used set of fralins or lollars will smoke most of fender's offerings, but I haven't had a chance to try very many SD single coil pickups.

Matt L

When I had a strat with a JB in the bridge, I used Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups. I think they're called APS pickups. They're superb in a brighter sounding guitar, since they're lovely and warm sounding. If the guitar was darker, I might look for a brighter set.

Nowadays, I've unfortunately discovered the "something extra" that hand wound pickups have over mass produced pickups, so I'd probably go wth Antiquity Texas Hot pickups to compliment a JB humbucker.

JB/APS/APS is what a lot of the '80s HSS Kramers used.

AtomicBlaze

If I had to take a single Strat-type to a desert island, it would probably have Hot Noiseless pickups.

They're all 'wrong' - they're conventional stacked humbuckers (i.e. not 'noiseless' in the Kinman/DiMarzio sense), they have ceramic magnets...but they're the best all-around Strat pickups I've used. They're not my favorites - but they're the most versatile.

They sound almost like a caricature of a Strat - everything you think of in your head when you think "Strat sound". And they're about half again as loud as a standard pickup, but have none of the usual side effects (treble loss, mid boost) of hot pickups, so they match with HBs better than most traditional types. They're the only pickups I've ever used that do not have alnico rod magnets, and still do the 'skronk' thing when you really snap a wound string.

So that would be my recommendation, but I'd get two bridge pickups. When Bill Turner designed them, he was handed the parts he had to work with - and they included the bobbins, which comprised a bridge setup with standard pole spacing, and a neck/middle with narrower pitch.

He wound them identically - the coils are the same, although the neck/middle is a little taller due to bobbin design. But the catch is, the only covers that fit on the neck/middle are the aged white that comes with them. No other Fender cover fits properly; I have had some luck buying Asian-sourced covers (50mm, IIRC), but you have limited color choices. But the bridge uses standard Strat covers, so anything that fits a regular Strat pickup works.

What model number are you referring to?

AdmiralB

What model number are you referring to?

The bridge pickup part number is 0058209000. There is also an old part number - same except ends in 040 instead of 000 - that had a parchment cover. A store on eBay had some of those recently, and I bought one.

RicOkc

Count me in with Admiral. My main Strat has a SD JB Jr. in the bridge position and Hot Noiseless in the middle & neck.

They work well with the JB.

rabbuhl

Love the Don Mare Josie/Vaughn set. I paired it with the humbucker in my HSS Stratocaster.

Mincer

What singles would pair well with a JB in the bridge? I would like something that has nice cleans and can handle overdrive well. Preferably by Seymour Duncan or Fender. I don't want to go with expensive boutique pickups. The Fender is a MIM with maple neck.

Is noise cancelling important to you? If not, I agree with the Antiquity Texas Hots. If it is, I'd go with the Classic Stack Plus. Both sound great with a JB, though the Antiquities are a little hotter. The JB will cause a jump in output with almost any single coil, though.

AdmiralB

Is noise cancelling important to you? If not, I agree with the Antiquity Texas Hots. If it is, I'd go with the Classic Stack Plus. Both sound great with a JB, though the Antiquities are a little hotter. The JB will cause a jump in output with almost any single coil, though.

Are all the 'stack' pickups - at least those for Strats - newish designs, just with the old names? I know some of them have 'modern' designs WRT noise-rejection technology, but I never figured out if they all did.

AtomicBlaze

Noise cancelling is not really important, the reason I cant go with boutique is I am having it prebuilt by 920d. Will the stack pickups give enough string clearance I read they are taller?

Mincer

There should be enough if the pickup routes are standard depth. The Stack Plus are new-ish designs over the very old ones..the second coil is much smaller, and the tone is much more bell-like and quackier.

AtomicBlaze

I went with a Pearly Gates bridge trembucker and Fralin Blues Special for Neck and Middle. Even though I love the JB I decided I probably should try something different since I have 2 Les Pauls with JBs already.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom