HSS - Humbucker sees 500k whilst singles see 250k - easiest way?

Random Hero

What's the easiest way to do this? I just saw a comment on a YouTube video where somebody said "Use a 500k pot, wire a 270k resistor from hot to ground and the singles then see 250k". Where is this referring to? On the volume pot? if so, how does that work when the hum is going through the same pot?

Any advice would be great.

Brian N

Its sort of ambiguous, I'm not sure which pot he is referring to. I would assume he means the tone pot, since single coils like to use 250k tone pots.

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
What's the easiest way to do this? I just saw a comment on a YouTube video where somebody said "Use a 500k pot, wire a 270k resistor from hot to ground and the singles then see 250k". Where is this referring to? On the volume pot? if so, how does that work when the hum is going through the same pot?

Any advice would be great.
What controls are on your SSH guitar (how many volumes and tones and how are they currently wired)?
-
Austin

Zexcoil

Vendor
Actually, it's a 470 k Ohm resistor. Two ~500 k Ohm resistances in parallel give you ~250 k.

With a 5-way you can't totally isolate the resistor, but you can group it with the tone pot on your singles.

If you have a superswitch you can isolate it to only the switch positions you want (search for Suhr's wiring diagram).

You don't want to wire it in parallel with the volume, then it will be on all of the time.

zeffbeff

I almost tried doing this, but ultimately, a full size humbucker is going to overpower single coils.

Then, I just got humbuckers which were designed for 250k: Jazz and JB. Problem solved.

Random Hero

What controls are on your SSH guitar (how many volumes and tones and how are they currently wired)?
-
Austin
1 volume, two tones, currently with the tones on the neck and middle single coils. I ditched the tone from the bridge hum (Duncan JB) to try to open it up a bit more on the 250k pot.

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
1 volume, two tones, currently with the tones on the neck and middle single coils. I ditched the tone from the bridge hum (Duncan JB) to try to open it up a bit more on the 250k pot.
If you ditched the tone on the JB, then you're already fine. Running it through one 250K master volume control would be just like running it through its own 500K tone and volume controls. However, in that case, I would recommend only using one tone control for the neck and middle pickups. If you give each one their own tone control, then in the neck/middle position the signal will be getting loaded down by two tones and a volume. As a result, it might be a little dark.

Still, at this point, I guess someone should ask, what it the problem that you are trying to fix by asking your question? What sounds wrong now?
-
Austin

Trending Topics