HSS or HH for 80s Superstrat Shredder Guitar?

JJDon

Just ordered a new HSS superstrat guitar with a floyd and plan to sell my current Charvel So Cal to get another "So Cal" type superstrat custom guitar with a floyd for the 80s shred stuff. I was leaning towards another HHS for versatility which seems like the natural answer, but I was thinking that if I like my So Cal which is HH, why not just replace it with another HH? Thoughts?

I plan to put a Holy Diver or JB Antiquity in the bridge which may make finding suitable single coils a problem, but there are some options I already have in mind. If I do go the HH route, then I'd probably do a Seymour Duncan 59 or Bareknuckble VHII in the neck.

Last edited:

Aceman893

I think that in terms of 80's shred, once you get past the first "H" you are missing the point.

None of the rest matters. At best - which is reasonable rare, you only need a tilted "S" sized single in the neck. I have managed to live through the 80's without it or really using the neck "H" in my guitars.

And HHS is not even a thing. Who used that (I know who did...rhetorical question. 80's shred top 10 pickup formats are:

1. H
2. H
3. HxS
4. H
5. HSS
6. H
7. HxH
8. H
9. H
10. HSS

JJDon

I think that in terms of 80's shred, once you get past the first "H" you are missing the point.

None of the rest matters. At best - which is reasonable rare, you only need a tilted "S" sized single in the neck. I have managed to live through the 80's without it or really using the neck "H" in my guitars.

And HHS is not even a thing. Who used that (I know who did...rhetorical question. 80's shred top 10 pickup formats are:

1. H
2. H
3. HxS
4. H
5. HSS
6. H
7. HxH
8. H
9. H
10. HSS
That was a typo, meant to say HSS. And I realize that a single humbucker works for most of the 80s stuff, but there are also a lot of 80s parts that were played clean as well either with the neck pickup or a single coil. The neck is also a bit better when I play legato which is why I'd prefer something in the neck over nothing.

Tri7/5

I'm not understanding why you are looking to sell your So Cal if it's already HH and you like it to try and replace with another HH? Is it one of the hardtails?

JJDon

I'm not understanding why you are looking to sell your So Cal if it's already HH and you like it to try and replace with another HH? Is it one of the hardtails?
Planning to get a custom built guitar with a neck, color, stainless steel frets, and pickups I prefer.

CapnRex

My 2 superstrats are HH and HSS. I love both. I think HSS is really a wonderful setup, but you don't need 2 unless you wanted ultra modern and ultra vintage. HH gets used for my prog rock and is a heavier sounding guitar (Ibanez J.Custom). HSS is all around magical, in my Ibanez AZ with a gravity storm bridge and injector neck. Sounds just like Andy Timmons, but I like this slight variation in pickups more than his.

blong

Silver Supporting Member
You must have one of each:
single H,
SSS
HSS
HH
HSH
HS

I lack the Hum-single, but I'm ok with that. I got the rest. All bases covered.

If I had to do just one, I'd do this:
HSH, with a coil tap on the neck only. I had that in a Music Man Silhouette and it worked really well. I had set of SD JB/Jazz (hot rodded humbucker set) with the middle being the original DiMarzio that came with the guitar. fI wired it so the neck pup, only, was splittable. The Jazz split very surprisingly well and the guitar covered all my basses. I liked that setup b/c I could go from bridge H to neck H or S and get all the nice neck tones I needed. You could even wire each pickup to it's own push pull so you could get bridge H or S, and the same with the neck, and increase tonal variations. I did have the guitar with both pups on the same push-pull pot to tap 'em, but I found myself preferring the bridge to be H all the time, but wanting to tap the neck if I needed a little more glass and articulation. When it was tapped, the bridge and neck were single coil, which was ok, but it was a little much to switch pickups and then pop the switch on the fly, and I never really used the bridge as a single coil on that guitar, so I modded it to tap the neck only. I could have the neck tapped and ready to go in single, or leave it humbucker, and when I switched from bridge H I could already have the neck pup ready to go either way. It worked great. I might even to that to another guitar I'm building for myself.

Something to think about.

Bob

zeppelinpage4

Maybe a Charvel with the `6 pack of sound` would be a good fit.
You still get the HH and the splits sound great!
+1 to this, I have an MIM So Cal with the six pack and it’s surprisingly versatile. Nails the 80’s shred sound with everything on full, but when I split the humbuckers or roll back the volume I get some really nice clean sounds, similar to positions 2 and 4 on a traditional strat.

Aceman893

That was a typo, meant to say HSS. And I realize that a single humbucker works for most of the 80s stuff, but there are also a lot of 80s parts that were played clean as well either with the neck pickup or a single coil. The neck is also a bit better when I play legato which is why I'd prefer something in the neck over nothing.
OK - I retract most of that then!!!! You "typo'd HHS a couple of times! I checked to be sure.

Aceman893

New answer:

Yes - keep the HH.

There are a lot more humbucker options for the neck and added diversity of you get the itch.

More and more single size HB's, but still not the same.

An HSS and an HH with a coil tap - just in case you want single tones!

OotMagroot

Silver Supporting Member
HSS for me. If you want real 80s, instead of a pickup selector you need to use 3 on/off switches for each pickup.

Trending Topics