• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

HSS STRAT 5 pos switch, can pos 2 Quack depending on PUPS?

trap

Silver Supporting Member
Yes! Tyler only splits the higher powered HB. Like the Super. So when it's split in number 2 it sounds like two SC. I've AB ed it to a SSS and it sounds really good!

Baminated

Yes! Tyler only splits the higher powered HB. Like the Super. So when it's split in number 2 it sounds like two SC. I've AB ed it to a SSS and it sounds really good!
so would i need to tap a low output bridge bucker like an alnico 2 wound to 8.8 to get quack age with a the middle single ?

buddastrat

Not imo. Depends how close you want. A hot bucker will sound a little better split, but still the position of either coil is wrong. The best sounding notch positions are from the old vintage strats, when both singles are similar output. So even a hotter bridge single coil, kinda ruins it to me.

Baminated

Not imo. Depends how close you want. A hot bucker will sound a little better split, but still the position of either coil is wrong. The best sounding notch positions are from the old vintage strats, when both singles are similar output. So even a hotter bridge single coil, kinda ruins it to me.
even an Alnico 2 /8.8 bridge bucker ?im just not schooled on what the range of a middle single typically is wound to get it to match

buddastrat

even an Alnico 2 /8.8 bridge bucker ?im just not schooled on what the range of a middle single typically is wound to get it to match
While I'm not a JB fan, it did a pretty decent job when split to single mode. It's 16K ohm or something in series, but there are lots of variables.

A regular single coil is usually around 6K ohm give or take. I always found the closer they match, the better they notch.

Trending Topics