HSS Strat schematic help

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Tone, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Tone

Tone Member

Hey guys. In this HSS schematic, is position #4 middle single coil + one coil from the humbucker, or middle single + whole humbucker? Also, is position number #2 neck/middle? With this diagram, can the middle tone knob be used on the middle, as well as humbucker? If not, can I just move the tone knob wire from the middle sc lug, up to where the humbucker lug?

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/hum_2sing_vol_2tone_-w-spl.html

As you can tell i'm not very good with schematics. [​IMG] I'm building a HSS strat, and looking for a schematic for this wiring:

1-neck
    2-neck/middle/ hum-cancelling
    3-middle
    4-middle/one coil from split humbucker/ hum-cancelling
    5-humbucker

I wanted one master volume and two tones. One tone for the neck, and one for the bridge humbucker, unless there is a way to make it work with both the middle and bridge pickups?

If I have a tone knob on the neck pickup, does that mean it will work in the neck/middle position? And also same for the bridge. If I'm using one on the humbucker, does that mean it will work with it's in between position?

Also, i suspect I need a RW/RP single coil. Does it go in the middle, or neck position? I've seen people suggest both, so I'm not sure where to put it. The pickups used will be an EVH, and two APS-1 or 2's. Not sure which to use on a 10"-16" compound radius fretboard. [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

ASSUMING you're using a standard 5-way switch, not one of the 4-pole/5-way 'Superswitches' (which can do just about any wiring scheme you like)...

No, not unless you drop the requirement for the humbucker to be split in position #4 - you need the side of the switch which normally selects the tone controls to operate the coil split. You can still have separate tone pots for the neck and bridge pickups, if they each have their own tone pot and cap connected directly to the pickup (IMO this is better anyway, since you can then use the 'correct' values for both the single coil and the humbucker).

Yes to all these.

It depends on which coil you want active when the bridge pickup is split - some people prefer one, some the other. Don't worry, since if your neck and middle pickups are the same, you can always swap them around afterwards.

3. Tone

Tone Member

Hey John, thanks for the help!

So if I use a standard 5 way switch, one volume, one tone for the neck, one tone for the bridge humbucker, then that schematic I linked is the correct one for me?:RoCkIn

4. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Sorry, I forgot to look at the link ;).

Close, but not quite. That has the tone controls for the two single coils and none for the humbucker. You need to move the tone pot connection from the middle pickup hot to the bridge pickup hot (same side of the switch), and I would probably use a 500K pot for the bridge pickup tone (they tend to be quite dark anyway when using a 250K volume pot) and maybe a .047 cap for the neck pickup (I just prefer the sound of it).

5. Tone

Tone Member

Thanks John!
    So assuming I did the tone pot up like you explained(from middle pickup lug to the lug directly above which is the black hot wire from the humbucker?), it should be all good with that schematic? Anything else in there that I might have missed?

6. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Yes.

Not 'missed' as such, but the last detail is to work out which coil of the humbucker is in use when it's tapped - you can check this for sure by tapping on the polepieces (with something like a screwdriver) with the guitar plugged in and the switch in the #4 positon. I think the schematic as shown will give the front (slug polepiece) coil. This tends to give more quack in #4 because it's closer to the middle pickup. If that's not what you want (or if I'm wrong, and you get the back coil when you don't want to) you need to connect the black wire on the right side of the switch to the black wire from the humbucker, instead of to ground. If this then gives no hum cancellation in #4, you need to swap around the single coils - so don't trim the wires too short until you know which you want as the neck pickup :).

7. Tone

Tone Member

Thanks John!
    Yeah someone mentioned to me on the SD forum that the slug coil would be on with this wiring, which is what I wanted. :) I just need to figure out for sure if I need the RW/RP in the middle or neck now.

8. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Whichever pickup will stick face down to the slug coil is the one you need to put in the middle - ie opposite magnetic polarity. The other one should repel.

I'd still be inclined not to shorten the wires until you've tested it electrically though... odd things sometimes happen. ;)

9. Tone

Tone Member

Thanks John!
    I just got email back from seymour duncan. I got two different answers. :D One for the RW/RP in the neck, one for the RW/RP in the middle.:confused:

10. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

Seeing that they are all SD pickups I am pretty sure that its the middle pickup that you would want to be RWRP. This should make it hum cancelling with both the slug coil of the humbucker and the neck single.