HSS Strats: A reasonable compromise between owning a Strat & a Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jmp, Jan 31, 2012.

1. jmp

jmp Supporting Member

I have a Custom Shop '60 Strat and a Historic '58 Les Paul flametop. Both are true to their respective years in features. I often find that I am switching guitars, because I'll want a humbucker sound when I have the Strat and a single-coil sound when I'm on the LP. Occassionally, the thought of ditching them both in favor of a nice HSS Strat with vintage style pickups comes to mind. I'm not a pro and don't need a slew of guitars handy. The idea of spending all of my time in a monogamous relationship with ONE instrument is appealing.

Has anyone here switched from a Strat + LP combo to a single HSS Strat-style guitar and been happy with the compromise? Or is it "just not the same?"

The guitar that keeps tempting me is the Suhr Classic with V60LP singles and a SSV in the bridge.

If the Variax didn't require a battery and look so goofy that might be an option.

-Mike

Artb likes this.
  2. MrDoty

MrDoty Supporting Member

Its the most versatile setup IMHO. Its the most comfortable conventional body shape as well. my prefered setup.

drod1985, Average Joe and BoogieManSC like this.
  3. mixn4him

mixn4him Supporting Member

Battle this all the time, considering going for one of the new PRS models possibly the Studio, best of all worlds. Having owned a Suhr I can say it is awesome but the scale length is longer then a LP and does not have the grunt of a LP. In a strat format the only one I know of that has that LP grunt and strat qwack is a Tyler...

4. taez555

taez555 Member

My #1 is an HSH Warmoth strat I built with a mahogany body and maple top (just like a les paul) with a goncalo alves/pau fero neck (sorta like a mix between mahogany and rosewood, basically like a les paul)

It's unique (It has 31 pickup combinations for single, series, parallel, etc), and can cut like a nice Humbucker guitar or super strat, but at the end of the day still sounds more strat than a les paul. However I will say, it's a good compromise and there's a reason it's my #1.

[​IMG]

5. crossbones

crossbones Member

I was in the same boat.
    I ended up lucking into a great sounding Big Apple Strat.
    Two humbuckers.
    All the Gibson sounds plus 2 Strat "in between" settings.
    I kept a couple of LP's after that, but have never used them. (13 years or so)

Having said all that......
    I have purchased two other B A Strats and they have been awful.

6. GulfportBound

GulfportBound Member

I've owned and played both an H-S-S Strat and Les Pauls. The H-S-S Strat was a nice guitar, nice player, but nothing like a Les Paul. No guitar really is.

Agramal, jiml, BADHAK and 1 other person like this.
  7. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I own both.......they are still very different sounding guitars. If I were forced to go down to only one guitar, though, it would probably be the s/s/h Strat.

8. SG_Seth

SG_Seth Member

I think a Les Paul with coil splitting would be more versatile.

Sell the strat and get your LP set up for coil splitting.

jiml likes this.
  9. jmp

jmp Supporting Member

I agree with MrDoty. If I were forced to only have one type of guitar on my desert island it would be a Strat in the 7.5 lb. range. But I would want to cop some LP vibe, too. Hence the HSS option.

In case someone suggests the opposite of SG_Seth and say that I just stick a 'bucker in the '60 Strat, I've thought of that and decided that once I deviate from vintage Strat specs I will want to modernize all the way and have things like medium jumbo frets, flatter fretboard radius, two-point tremolo, etc. If I could find an American Standard HSS Strat that didn't weigh 8+ lbs. that might be an option, as the quality of those seems to be really consistent these days.

10. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

this does it for me:

[​IMG]

Agramal likes this.
  11. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

Seems like a HH strat with coil splitting could do just about anything you wanted it to -- or a HH tele for that matter.

would alder/rw be the way to go with one of those? hog/hog?

12. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

Do not think of an H-S-S strat as a strat that sounds like a Les Paul

Think of it as a fatter tone out of the bridge humbucker, but still just totally NOT what a Lester sounds (or feels) like

BADHAK and David Garner like this.
  13. blues junkie

blues junkie Supporting Member

PRS DGT... just might be what your looking for. It's the only guitar I own and it satisfies my Les Paul craving and my Strat craving.

14. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

I think taez has the right idea if you want something that will do a bit of both.

Mahogany bodied HSS strat-type.
    You got the heavy wood with the humbucker for tight LP-ish tones and the single coils, slight twang and thinner body for the Strat-ish tones.

Reasonable compromise was the correct term in my opinion.

15. Lance

Lance Member

I have never really been a Les Paul kind of player, and have always gone more the stra, super or tele route. My favorite of any guitar I've ever had is a Rasmus Suhr HSS with an SSV in the bridge, and FL's for singles. I am able to play things that I could never pull off on my USA Fenders, or Ibanez for that matter.

16. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

After being an LP guy for years.....the only guitar I gig with now is a CS Fender HS-1 Strat. It gives me the beautiful glossy rhythm tones I love, and the Humbucker grind I prefer for lead work.

17. superrock

superrock Silver Supporting Member

i was looking for the same thing, and found it in my number one...
    coil taps via pushpull pots...
    [​IMG]

18. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

This is true. An HSS Strat sound like a Strat with a humbucker, not a Les Paul.

19. cugel

cugel Member

if the body and neck is mahogany you will get closer than alder or ash and maple and you will need a TOM and stop tailpiece. then its not really a strat IMHO. but i dont think you will hear a ssh strat sound a truly great les paul sound and then switch to the nick pickup and you have a great strat tone. my LP just has a thump to it. but i love my ssh ash/maple asher and it sounds amazing with a humbucker. i had to try a couple of humbuckers before i found one i liked.

20. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

I like the Hot rail I put in the bridge of my Strat. Not a LP, but a versatile guitar.