Huber '59 Orca / Ruokangas Unicorn - Opinions

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by AD, Jan 17, 2017.

1. asfeir

asfeir Member

Why not go for a duke?

2. Teekon

Teekon Member

[​IMG]

This one?

Baemer likes this.
  3. jdsgilmour

jdsgilmour Suffering from chronic gearitis Gold Supporting Member

Teekon, journo and Baemer like this.
  4. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Do you own a semi-hollow with a trem? The combination is amazing. I never use a trem, but the additional routing and Springs with a semi-hollow body makes the guitar come alive.

5. AD

AD Supporting Member

I've owned a CU22 Semi Hollow Trem which was quite nice. I ended up going with Knaggs. I've been a fan of Knaggs guitars for years owning a few models but the Rappoport Kenai and SSC are some of the finest guitars I've played. I spent quite a bit of time yesterday with the Rappoport and still blown away - playability, vibe and great tone. The neck carve and playability is like no other guitar I've played (the SSC is very close as well).

Whitecat and Sociophile like this.
  6. btdvox

btdvox Supporting Member

Both are amazing. All I can say is I've owned 3 Hubers (still have 2), and every single one was simply amazing. I'm going to buy an Orca '59 this year after playing one last year. The only reason I sold one (Krautster II) was because the pickups were too hot for my liking and I'm not a huge P90 guy, but outside of that, the guitar was sublime.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  7. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

The way I could best decide, myself, would be to play both at the same time, through the same rig, and then choose based on actual feel, actual tonal response, and actual visual and physical appeal. Otherwise, you're choosing based on concepts, pictures, verbalizations of sound, etc., all of which exist at a lower level than the real nature of these guitars, and all of which are profoundly unreliable. If I could not try both in real time, I might well go ahead and purchase, because as has been said, there's no real "mistake" possible when you're dealing with two of the greatest makers in the world and two of the best conceived and executed guitars in the world. I would go with Ruokangas, myself, because after reading innumerable interviews with him, and occasionally touching one of his great guitars, I love his ideas, methods, values, and commitment. (Ex: I'm sure you've read the old ToneQuest report on Ruokangas from many years ago in which he described how he selects and processes wood.) That's no knock on Huber -- I just know nothing about him! But when I can, I love to patronize shops and makers and sellers whose goals I admire. That's where I like my money to go. Wow -- I wish I had your problem!

Baemer, Gnash and guitarpedaladdict like this.
  8. beorn

beorn Member

Don't own this guitar -- just happened to turn it up browsing the Ruokangas site and thought it was so striking, others here might appreciate it.

[​IMG]
    I love the chaotic figuring of some of these Arctic birch tops, and the finish knocks me out too.

nichd, Baemer and JiMB like this.