Huber Dolphin paired with an unlikely partner in tone

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Metal Tiger, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Metal Tiger

Metal Tiger Supporting Member

What do you guys think about this piece of tonery? It came from a very unlikely source...

TA22GT, Jay K, derekd and 3 others like this.
  2. archey

archey Silver Supporting Member

Sounds good. Nice playing!

Metal Tiger likes this.
  3. sidekick

sidekick Supporting Member

4. Metal Tiger

@archey @sidekick
    Thank you both the for the nice words!
    What you are hearing, believe it or not, is the guitar straight to a freaking pod 2 (the bean that goes for $40) going out to s KRK monitor.
    I love tone like all TGPers and I obviously love boutique gear, I have owned multiple tube amps, an ax8 and a Helix. I was/am visiting my mother and came upon my old pod 2. Plugged it in and that was the tone I got. The source is important, but how you handle and interact wity the sound as an instrumentalist is just as important I think. I think the result is a bit unexpected

sidekick and archey like this.
  5. sidekick

sidekick Supporting Member

From what you say, unexpected. Although maybe many guitarists for the last few years have been 'over-spoiled', (in a manner of speaking) by the gear available in these latter years?

Perhaps our expectations concerning tone have become too high as a result of the choices of boutique gear, when it's already been there in some way or another at more affordable level, (notwithstanding as some have said of great guitarists in the past ... that "It's all in the fingers" ... and to make the best of what you've got).

When I think of when I first started playing electric guitar, (mid/ate 60's) it was via a Watkins 15 valve watt combo amp with 8" speaker together with a Watkins valve Echo Unit ... Would be considered pretty primitive gear now , (not too-bad back in the day though for a school-kid) and of course was limited ... It sure sounded reasonable as I recall when playing lead covering either The Ventures or The Shadows instrumentals with my band-mates at the time.

6. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I used a POD 2.0 for a number of years.

It did two things well, clean and high gain. It was the in between tones it wasn't very good at.

Your tone doesn't surprise me at all. I sure enjoyed the playing.

Metal Tiger likes this.
  7. Metal Tiger

Thank you for saying that, Im glad you enjoyed it!!! And I completely agree with you. I can get great shred tone as well. Edge of breakup is the toughest tone to get from a modeler from this era

derekd likes this.
  8. Metal Tiger

Here is another vid from the same session with the Huber