Huber versus Fibenare?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by XKnight, Apr 11, 2015.

1. XKnight

XKnight Member

Both are European luthiers, both have excellent reputations and both make some similar models. I've owned a Huber, but not a Fibenare. Wondering if anyone that has played or owned both brands can tell me how they compare? Pics are always appreciated as well.

2. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

Personally I would choose Ruokangas as far as european luthiers go...

3. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I've played them both, and prefer Nik's work.

However, you are asking us to choose between two very good products. It is a matter of preference, Get your hands on a Fibenare. You might find they are your choice.

4. XKnight

XKnight Member

Yes, I actually have a Fibenare on its way to me so will be able to make my own comparison soon enough. In the meantime, just wondering what others that have played both think.

Of course I understand that each individual guitar has to be taken on its own merits, but there are things that can be compared and contrasted with similar designs and builds (fretwork, finish, pickups and hardware all come to mind).

5. XKnight

XKnight Member

Care to expand on why you prefer Ruokangas to the Fibenare and Huber guitars that you've played? Was it the tone, the feel, the looks, etc?

6. asfeir

asfeir Member

I own an Orca by huber and a ruokangas hellcat artist. I don't think one is better than the other they are just very good flawless instruments and you can't go wrong with either. I don't know about Fibenare

7. stashman

stashman Supporting Member

I have owned both and preferred the Huber - tone mostly.

8. Bogner

Bogner Member

Huber is my preference over anything.....period. All are wonderful but for me the Huber's just do it.

9. stealthtastic

stealthtastic Supporting Member

Yeah I've owned a Ruokangas and tried a few Hubers out, they are pretty similar quality wise. I think the Ruokangas ball end stainless frets are the coolest thing ever though.

10. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

11. XKnight

XKnight Member

Had one of those a few years back. Very nice guitar indeed. I enjoy trying out as any different brands as possible and have been doing a pretty good job of it so far.

Here's a pic of the Grosh. Beautiful top, wonderful fretwork and good tones. One of the better LP style guitars I've owned.[​IMG]

12. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Member

I love the shape of Huber's instruments around the butt of the guitar. Proportions more like a Fender, glorious curvature like a Les Paul. I've never played one, but really want to try a Dolphin.

13. django49

django49 Member

I think the Fibenares are crazy good. That said, I have a hard time putting down my Huber Dolphin II.