Hubert Sumlin

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by RV52, Feb 26, 2012.

1. RV52

RV52 Member

Just watched a few clips on youtube from the Hubert Sumlin Memorial
    Concert at the Apollo Theater NYC 24th Feb.
    Of course I know that Hubert Sumlin was the guitarist in Howlin' Wolf's band, but don't know much
    about him and his guitar playing.
    Can anyone please recommend some albums/CDs showing him in his prime - doin' his best playing.

2. farkas

farkas Member

The work he did with Howlin' Wolf is the way to go. Absolutely amazing. He put his own stamp on everything he played, and everything he played sounded great. Inside out, upside down, funky, he showed the world just how much depth the blues has.

Any of the numerous Howlin' Wolf collections from the mid 1950s on should do the trick I believe.

3. '58Bassman

'58Bassman Member

If you have cable or satellite TV, do a smart search for Howlin' Wolf, Chess Records, The Blues or Hubert Sumlin- they have shown programs about all of them and Hubert was covered extensively. Also, if you get 'The London Sessions- Howlin' Wolf' (I know it was called 'The London Sessions', but not if this was the exact title), they go into who was originally supposed to be included (not Hubert and some of the other sidemen) and who said that if Hubert wasn't there, they wouldn't be there (Clapton, Richards, etc).

Hubert lived on the Northwest side of Milwaukee for quite a while and I found this out after I had moved from that area. If I had known, I would have definitely looked for him.

4. bluefish

bluefish Supporting Member

Check out Howlin Wolf's " Change My Way". (Chess) Lots of good Hubert on that one..

5. jpastras

jpastras Supporting Member

On the London sessions, it was Clapton who said he would not show if Leonard Chess didn't send Hubert. Clapton plays all the lead on that record, Hubert plays rhythm.

Get Wolf's stuff from about 1960 onward (EDIT: checked some records, and he's definitely playing lead by about 1957). Pat Hare and Willie Johnson are the wonderful guitarists that play on much of Wolf's 50's output.

Hubert is totally his own thing. He is hugely idiosyncratic as a player. Very exciting and unpredictable. Lots of funky soul. He is one of Tue few players that is truly inimitable.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  6. monstermike

monstermike Member

7. Cleet Mongaire

Cleet Mongaire Member

Being a huge fan of The Wolf, it goes without saying I'm also a huge fan of Hubert. Not widely known but Hubert jumped ship for a while and played in Muddy's band.

8. John Vasco

John Vasco Member

Got to see him a few years ago, and meet him after the show.

[​IMG]

If anyone desrves to have the mantle of 'Legend in his own lifetime' attributed to him, it is Hubert Sumlin.

9. Angry Old Man

Angry Old Man Member

You can go a long ways to hearing huberts "cool" and greatness by checking out *Spoonful* on youtube.

If I was to play any song to someone to teach them hubert that would be the cut

10. bloo

bloo Member

Hubert's solo on "Shake for Me" gets my vote for greatest Hubert solo- man that one is just super N-A-S-T-Y... in a good way of course!

11. KBR

KBR Member

listen to all of Hubert w/ Wolf, tons of Kool stuff.
    300 LBs, Hidden Charms, commit a crime, all of em!!.

12. shane88

shane88 Member

HS is a legend - possibly the coolest player ever - get the Wolf stuff

13. mudster

mudster High Prairie Wrangler Silver Supporting Member

The two prime recs IMHO are the Chess Howlin' Wolf boxed set and Hubert Sumlin's Blues Party, a KILLER blues album with great guests including Ronnie Earl. Healin' Feelin' isn't bad either, but the other two mentions are classic.

14. RV52

RV52 Member

Thank you all for your input. Will start to search amazon for the Wolf stuff now.