Huge Bands that Vanished

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Silent Sound, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

What bands or musicians were once enormously famous, and then seemed to have vanished off the face of the Earth? I'm not talking about One Hit Wonders like Los Del Rio, Nena, or Dexy's Midnight Runners. I'm not even talking about One Album Wonders like Hootie and the Blowfish, Huey Lewis and the News, or Lauryn Hill. I'm talking about bands or artists who were extremely popular for a decade or more, influencing tons of future artists, and then when their time in the spotlight passed, vanished, almost without a trace.

Example 1: Nine Inch Nails. You never hear them on the radio anymore, even the oldies stations. You never hear anyone talk about them as influences, yet they were extremely influential during their time. And today's pop music is hugely influenced by the idea of sampling noises, bending and distorting them, and turning them into songs.

Example 2: Sam Cooke. He has been called the "King of Soul". He was a huge influence on pretty much any soul singer who came after him. And while you may actually recognize a song of his or two, unless you grew up during his time, you probably don't know who sang them. When the general public, not of the era, mention the great soul singers of all time, his name is largely missing.

Attached Files:

Simon likes this.
  2. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

There have been two different films about Sam Cooke within the last 5 years or so.

3. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Well, that isn't true...

4. tnvol

tnvol Ufologist Silver Supporting Member

NIN is still all over rock radio.

5. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Just because a band isnt on the radio doesn't mean the band have disappeared.

6. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Supporting Member

As someone who plays industrial music I can say NIN is still hugely influential.

And btw the biggest song of this year (and longest running #1 hit of all time) "Old Town Road" is based of a sample of NIN's "34 Ghosts IV". So much that Reznor was credited as a songwriter on the track.

7. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Never thought NIN was a "band", just a dude, no?

fourtet102, Laganlad, 808 and 10 others like this.
  8. Bolt VanderHuge

Bolt VanderHuge Member

My vote goes to The Band That Played California Lady.

9. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Supporting Member

Agree. Although I don't know a ton about Trent Reznor, I get the impression that he's had a bit of a resurgence over the last few years. I liked this interview with him.
    http://songexploder.net/nine-inch-nails

10. Jimmy_Rage

Jimmy_Rage Member

I don't know about disappeared, but I have seen quite a few bands that lost relevance.

Slipknot is a good example of this. A whole lot of forgettable albums, but I've been hearing a lot of late about how their new album kicks ass.

egregion likes this.
  11. GulfportBound

GulfportBound Member

Huey Lewis and the News had a longer and more successful run than you remember. They actually had four hit albums including three platinum sellers in the 1980s, but because Sports (their third album) tossed off so many hit singles it was too easy to think of the News falsely as one-album wonders.

Which is a shame, because in 2001 they cut an album, Plan B, that was arguably equal to and sometimes even better than the work that made them stars in the 1980s in the first place.

12. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

13. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

a little tongue-in-cheek on this one:

Cotton, Droptopandy, Sean and 9 others like this.
  14. AStrangeDay

AStrangeDay Member

A band that disappeared is The Darkness.. Do any of you remember that british glam rock band?
    God, their first record "Permission To Land" was AMAZING. It came out in 2003, i was still in middle school and i clearly remember driving my bike for almost 10km just to buy the CD.
    Then they came out with the second record which lost all the magic of the first. If i remember right the bassist and drummer left the band and another guy came in and screwed everything. Then they totally disappeared and i've never heard of them ever again

scotth, bullnose, DPEXP and 19 others like this.
  15. Misterbulbous

I bought the new Slipknot album on a whim. Really don't know much about the band - other than playing their song on Garage Band. I don't care for the album. Guitars are mixed below the vocals and bass. Sounds really weird to me.

16. Misterbulbous

B.O.C.

And some of these bands being mentioned have not disappeared. US classic rock radio just sticks with music released before 1992.

17. derekd

derekd Member

Just released a new album.

18. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

They have a new song and video out now.

19. WordMan

WordMan Member

Huey Lewis & the News and The Darkness are great examples. I would add The Stone Roses. Famous bands that ended up disappearing for reasons that didn't have to do with them fading in popularity.

20. Liquid Quarter

Liquid Quarter Silver Supporting Member