Huge Bands that Vanished

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Silent Sound, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Beng2040

Beng2040 Supporting Member

Great thread. Has anyone mentioned Frampton and the Bee Gees? One terrible movie took them both down (for a while, at least).

2. michael razor

michael razor Member

Not Guess who but "The Guess Who" !! :D

3. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Rage Against the Machine kind of vanished. They were huge for several years then broke up. Reformed for a bit and broke up again. They could be huge again if they wanted to, I bet.

TOOL is another band that vanished, although they JUST reappeared. They had a long lawsuit against their label which forced them off of streaming music and from releasing new music. It's funny because streaming is so big now when they weren't on it, it's almost like they were erased from music history.

Oasis was a major band that just kind of fell apart, although they had a run of kind of forgettable albums. The Black Crowes are really similar. Huge for several years, tailed off, broke up, reformed, quickly broke up again.

Gin Blossoms were a big radio success for about two albums and fell off the map. Still touring, just at a small scale. I feel like they ran out of material after their original guitarist who wrote so much of the music died.

Stone Temple Pilots kind of fell off the map because of substance abuse issues with their singer. Alice in Chains were the same way.

I'm a big Candlebox fan...they are pretty underrated IMO. But they really only had one big single and a few other good rock radio hits. Not really a "huge" band.

Still, they had an issue where their record label essentially stopped promoting them. Their third album (Happy Pills) is actually really good if you haven't listened to it. There's a few songs that could have been much bigger hits and "Sometimes" should have been as big as Goo Goo Dolls' "Iris" IMO.

Anyways, they broke up for a few years then reformed but never got back to the success of their earlier stuff. They still tour just on a small scale. I'm seeing them in a few months.

Hard to keep in the spotlight after you're dead. Nirvana was hugely influential on my generation, but I don't know about the younger kids. Do they know much outside of their few big singles off Nevermind? Also, how much do kids care? Do they still play guitar and like rock music? Feels like most of the people who are into guitar on YouTube are between 30-45 years old.

Back in the day, it was crazy how good they were. Practically all their songs were excellent or at least interesting and compelling. No filler. We really worshipped them.

art_z likes this.
  4. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Not exactly true - He made 'that' video - he was talking about it a few years back - and he made it sound like that Video killed his career - but if he was honest - his stopped writing show stopping hits - and that's what sunk him. If he had followed up that Video with another Stroke Me huge number - it would have been forgotten. None the less he is still in the business - and is one of the most sampled Musicians on the Planet - last count he's on over 125 HipHop/Rap/Funk hits. Although he has not spoken of it publicity - the 200 and counting sampling licenses have made him close to $10 Million dollars. All or most of those hits he's on are uncredited.

Even with that said he's been touring at leisure over the last 11 years - mostly on the East Coast. My Friend caught him in Sturgis - Said he brought the house down he rocked it so much. And the good thing is he's healthy and his voice is stronger than ever.

stratadp and TubeStack like this.
  5. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

That's the urban legend he used to tell - but rock audiences didn't care - it was a lack of strong songs that rocked like his first three albums that did him in. If it were me - and this is saying that knowing I'm no where near as talented a songwriter or singer that Squier is - I would have told me people to F**kOff - wrote harder rock songs and brought the Hammer down. What it all comes down too - People didn't run away in droves from Queen - Bowie - Elton John, George Michael (Especially in Wham with Andrew) etc...we knew they were Gay or at least Bisexual - no one cared - you know why? They kept writing songs that were world class hits. Squier lost his way there for a bit - and the songs didn't come - and either his Ego or his Ego - or maybe his Ego wouldn't ask for outside songwriting help that AreoSmith, CheapTrick, Heart and everyone else who was faltering in the 80 asked for and received huge hit songs...and they all had a recognizable brand in their favor - just Like Squier did - but failed to use.

6. yucatown

yucatown Gold Supporting Member

The Killers remain hugely popular. They just played a show at Wimbledon. The Strokes is also alive and very well. Good grief, to lump them and The Killers with Sum 41 and Alient Ant Farm...

TubeStack likes this.
  7. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

Such unique chemistry....a worthy band,imho. Richard Butler still shows up in places, that much i know.

art_z likes this.
  8. AA864

AA864 Member

Good to know, thx for the update.

9. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

I got the joke you were trying to make, but it’s not accurate. The Guess Who did not “become” BTO.

One member of the Guess Who (Randy Bachman) left the Guess Who (which continued on without him), and formed the band Brave Belt, which actually did evolve into BTO.

michael razor and guitarbilly74 like this.
  10. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Him and Lonesome Dave dying was a huge tragedy in rock.
    But Foghat never really disappeared from the scene. I think the drummer still takes a version of the band out.

Liquid Quarter likes this.
  11. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

The Tubes has some hits and then super-hits with Steve Lukather co-writing and playing and David Foster producing then disappeared after they returned to Todd Rundgren who produced ‘Love Bomb’.

chunky48 and GtrGeorge! like this.
  12. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

Um...yeah. I think they are to be respected..but never really comprehended the massive money REM got when they signed to SONY. But Hey..good for them. Seemed like nice people.

13. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

I think Billy Squire's audience was intolerant of his dancing in the video. No matter whose idea it was..his hard rock image (I think) collided with these images of him. The song is still a good song, but sadly it was an obstacle in his growth. I think other things added up,to..I'll let you read about them in any of the interviews he has given since he resurfaced about 10 years ago. fwiw: He comes off fine,in my view. And if you see any clips of him playing recently..he still has the voice and skills. Not all 80s music sucked. People make mistakes...duh.

14. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

Sam Cooke is just unstoppable. Sounds as good now,as then. Just a great collection of talent in one man.

Alan Dunn likes this.
  15. LolainNB

LolainNB Member

R.E.M. was an incredibly profitable band. Between the Green album and UP they were royalty. We’re talking worldwide appeal (for some reason). I think we sometimes forget that there’s a market outside our own countries.

I remember my roommate in college, some kid from India who spoke some English and would not shut up about The genius of Michael stipe. Sony knew what they were doing

art_z likes this.
  16. LolainNB

LolainNB Member

This comes to mind... oh how I loved this band back in 1998. check this out:
    Urban Hymns, one of the best-selling albums in UK Chart history.[1]The album features the hit singles "Bitter Sweet Symphony", "The Drugs Don't Work" and "Lucky Man". In 1998, the band won two Brit Awards—winning Best British Group, appeared on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine in March, and in February 1999, "Bitter Sweet Symphony" was nominated for the Grammy Award for Best Rock Song.[2][3][4]

Soon after their commercial peak, the Verve disbanded in April 1999

chunky48 and Blahfingers like this.
  17. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Arc Angels?

GtrGeorge! likes this.
  18. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

They were never “huge” by any measure. I remember them being around, and listened to them a little, back in the day, but honestly couldn’t name a single song, off the top of my head.

19. Alan Dunn

Alan Dunn Member

The lawsuit against them for using a Rolling Stones / Andrew Oldham Orchestra riff / tune is probably what killed The Verve. Mick and Keith pretty much destroyed them only to give them the rights back to the song some 20 years or so too late. The damage had well and truly been done by then.

20. river_jetties

river_jetties Member

Uhh... they just played the Greek Theater in Los Angeles a few weeks ago. They certainly haven't vanished.

Like 10 years ago, I was driving by The Viper Room and they were on the marquee - just walked in as they began their set for like a $10 cover. And then Gene Loves Jezebel played afterwards. A bit surreal.

GtrGeorge! and chunky48 like this.