Huge Bands that Vanished

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Silent Sound, Aug 19, 2019.

1. guitarmike

guitarmike Member

Almost every rock band from the 70's through 1993ish had the same desease. Their first couple albums rocked the house down and they became very popular and were stricken with the desease. By the third or fouth album the keyboards become more prominent and they score a huge power ballad hit. Unfortunately their core fan base often times did not relate to the soft stuff and it is game over.
    Examples:
    Queen in the US after the game album
    Foreigner
    Styx
    Journey, etc
    Once you stop being a current viable band (a couple dud albums or lose a key member) its classic rock radio time.

GaryMcT likes this.
  2. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

that was Marilyn Manson you're thinking of, not Trent Reznor.

3. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

is that like "disease", or something different?

Hot In The Shade likes this.
  4. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I wasn't agreeing with the other poster's premise -- just questioning the order of album releases.

5. michael razor

michael razor Member

Thanks for the Info!

6. michael razor

michael razor Member

They are still around-At least the main guy.
    He's as good as ever and has some top-notch musicians!!

7. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

8. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

15 pages, no Mahogany Rush? They went from huge in the late mid 70s to completely off my radar. One of my favorite bands, and for years my favorite guitar player. Read here recently that at a huge outdoor concert in the late 70s with many bands that will be remembered to be bigger, but Mahogany Rush was the headlining act.

IMO, Frank started doing more jazzy things and for a few years, I still bought the albums but didn't listen to them all the time like the prior ones. Then they faded out of the guitar mags and other media of the time, where he had previously been one of THE guitar heros.

I think by the late 70s/early 80s Van Halen had hit, Ozzies band had hit, and Mahogany Rush just kind of faded into the background.

Tomo El Gato and Liquid Quarter like this.
  9. Telebluze

Telebluze Gold Supporting Member

I'm sure someone's already beat me to it...…..but that ain't Bob!

mattjayworker and Liquid Quarter like this.
  10. kookaburra

kookaburra Member

Being dead does help one disappear. Lonesome Dave is also gone, which didn't help either.

That said, a few do live beyond the grave, and certainly Foghat still lives on my home turntable/cd player.

Telebluze and Liquid Quarter like this.
  11. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Hodgson is really good these days - amazingly has most of his voice intact - and puts on a great show. He's also very nice and a proper English Gentleman.

12. DreamTheaterRules

That's his cousin Pete, ain't it? :cool:

13. Papanate

Mahogany Rush was never Huge - they didn't have a single radio hit - and were for the most part the early openers on the tour circuit and usually the first or second opener on the Festival Circuit (Like California Jam).
    Frank Marino has always been a weird and difficult person to deal with - he could have been more - but he continually shot himself in the foot at prime times. The biggest shot was he let (or the record company forced
    it upon him) the story circulate that he 'spent time in a mental institution after taking too much LSD and was subsequently visited by Jimi Hendrix during one of his trips'. His playing was too closely associated to Hendrix
    which limited his appeal.

The interesting piece about Marino - he is one smart cookie - he knows his way around electronics - was very proficient at guitar (more so that his 70s records revealed him to be) - and he's quite good live and in person.

Tomo El Gato likes this.
  14. DreamTheaterRules

I stand corrected. In my circles, they WERE huge. But I only had like 3 friends, so you're probably right. But I'm tellin' ya. All 4 of us LOVED them!

kookaburra and chunky48 like this.
  15. mtmartin71

mtmartin71 Silver Supporting Member

This question feels like a unicorn hunt. If a band was extremely popular for a decade or more and influenced a ton of future artists, then the only way they would "vanish without a trace" is if they disbanded and stopped trying. Other than that, very few bands are lucky enough to stay in the spotlight of mainstream music. U2 did it from the 80s to the 00s. The Stones from the 60s to the 80s. I just can't think of any bands of the caliber you've defined that weren't at least able to tour and gain the spotlight of their old fans. The Stones are selling out stadiums. No, they're not in whatever you'd call the musical spotlight of today's digital realm, but they haven't vanished and probably won't until they retire or Mick or Keith pass and hopefully that's a long time from now. I mean even lesser bands like REO Speedwagon or Styx will team up to do tours and basically be a tribute of themselves. Tons of people go to see them. They haven't vanished and they're not giving away tickets either. For country acts, Garth Brooks. Whenever he goes on tours...sold out stadiums. You don't see much from him other than touring though.

So maybe a better question is what bands of the type you've identified decided to hang it up at their height and not due to a band member's passing? I'll throw two influential bands out under that criteria...

System of a Down
    The Smiths

Heck...the Beatles would fall into this category too!

stratadp likes this.
  16. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

Beg to differ...Had some record label issues for awhile (he released one album on indie goth label Metropolis Records that I have a lot of friends on...tried to get to meet him but couldn't :() but he's consistently been working and working hard.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Alan Dunn likes this.
  17. Teal_66

Teal_66 Member

I don't think Mahogany Rush was ever really "huge" or particularly mainstream. I recall showing my friend in junior high my Mahogany Rush Live album, and he had no idea who it was. Frank Marino is very anti-music business.

18. Papanate

Don't get me wrong....they had rabid fans. So much so that 'Strange Dreams' of 1982's 'Juggernaut' made it to #9 one week - but the album hovered around 200 for a month or so - than faded. I compare them to Triumph - another Canadian band that never quite got
    the fame they deserved - but one that quite a lot of guitarist I know (myself included) liked.

kookaburra likes this.
  19. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

Start a tour this Saturday and have a date near me in a week...They were out of action for several years over the whole guitar player-singer-singer's wife love triangle ugliness, but have been back for awhile.

20. Dasein

Dasein Member

I'd guess it's a Rapture joke... right?

Litterick likes this.