Huge Bands that Vanished

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Silent Sound, Aug 19, 2019.

1. mikeratan00

mikeratan00 Member

2. Dirty_Tones

Dirty_Tones Member

Has anyone said Uriah Heep?

mikeratan00 and Papanate like this.
  3. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Has anyone mentioned Bachman Turner Overdrive? They were a huge band....

stratohiker and Dirty_Tones like this.
  4. Droptopandy

Droptopandy Supporting Member

THIS 100%. There was a time where their one hit song riff was played in Guitar Center about as much as Sweet Child then bamm, they vanished.

AStrangeDay likes this.
  5. mikeratan00

mikeratan00 Member

6. daveS

daveS lefty dude on hiatus Gold Supporting Member

Between the San Andreas and Calaveras Faults
    Triumph

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    pak1001 likes this.
  7. kramm47

kramm47 Member

Fair point. Neither band was Aerosmith or The Stones. They were more flash in the pan. So no, I don't.

But I do think they're examples of bands that were huge in the public eye at one point and then just kind of... disappeared from that same eye. Still around, sure; still have fans, yup. But for the average consumer of music, they were there and then they weren't.

Of course, I'm limited (as we all are) by my experience and influence. There are massive modern R&B artists I've never heard of, as exemplified by the music some of the kids listen to where I work. So i acknowledge I'm merely stating an opinion that those two bands were likely what the OP was getting at - in that person's experience, NIN was huge then disappeared of their radar screen.

Say what you will about my music listening experience, but I'd never heard of Billy Squire until this thread! So to me, he didn't just disappear (or not), he never existed.

Roundabout way of getting go I think it's more perspective than anything else. :)

stratadp and John Hurtt like this.
  8. Spider Mark

Spider Mark Member

Well, Garbage had multiple Grammy nominations, top 10 albums and singles around the world (very big Down Under). Spin Doctors had a Grammy nom and a triple platinum album.

Pretty big if not huge at the time.

9. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

OMG, I am such a fan of Arc Angels. And the music worked on so many levels. If you are reading this and they mean nothing to you...realize its SRVs rhythm section with Charlie Sexton and Doyle Bramhall Jr on guitar and shared lead vocals. It should have been a MASSIVE success. But fashion,timing and Doyle's addiction got in the way, Still the music still kicks royal ass. Not sure.?..go listen to "Doing pretty good for the shape I'm in". they have tried some reunion work..but Doyle has been touring with Clapton for like 10years and Charlie Sexton has been with Dylan for like 15yrs...we may never get the timing again. But at least we have the music. Good enough. Everyone in Austin knows they are royalty.

10. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

Look up "ill gotten gains" and ponder that,

11. Johnny Ninefingers

Johnny Ninefingers Member

Ouch.

2pods and aynirar27 like this.
  12. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

Heart????
    Such a great band. Even the Zep members give them respect. Ann and Nancy clearly have the character nescessary...but imho (and I may be alone here)...without Drummer Micheal Derosier,Guitarist Roger Fisher and bassist Steve Fosen....the original chemistry is gone. You want "Barracuda"? That's them. Remove those three members and its "These Dreams". Almost a different band. I could never reconcile it. They rejoined only once in 35 years. It was magic all over again. I pray somehow they put aside the bad blood and reconvene. What is it they say about "Hell hath no fury..."?

mikey likes this.
  13. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

I recall Trevor Rabin and Rodger Hodgeson collabrating some years ago. It seemed a natural, as Yes was on hiatus and it looked like Jon Anderson had lost interest. The song "The More I look" was completed at that time. A sequel to the "logical song",in many ways. But Yes got back together and the effort seemed to have been abandoned, Still I think Rabin and Hodgeson are a good fit. And hope somehow they do more together, Looks like ARW is done, for now.

14. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

Why on earth would you think I don’t know what ill gotten gains are, or that it has anything to do with Jagger and Richards being paid for their composition?

15. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

It's an ethical argument. If you don't get it..it's on your end, not mine. The creative use of the material is so obtuse...the stones should have declined to pursue the matter on principle. they have enough money. they have respect. Everyone knows that. What good does it do that their organization went after ashcroft and company? It only makes the Stones look greedy. It took time, but they saw that, I am glad for that..but it certainly didnt help Ashcroft back then, and likely made it harder for him and his band to continue when they had the clock on their side.

Tomo El Gato likes this.
  16. Johnny Ninefingers

Johnny Ninefingers Member

I shared management with him at around that time (Claudine Martinet) though I only met him the once. It appears just about everyone in London (and a few chaps in Dublin too) played on the zillion or so demos for the second album (Neither Fish nor Flesh) as Claudine screwed the record company (who had signed TTD to a one album, two single deal without the option) for £1.3M for the third single from what was, at the time, the biggest selling debut album ever. IIRC it cost the record company just over £11M for TTD's second album, which bombed so hard that TTD just got written-off. Claudine got her 20% though, at a guess. Business shenanigans abounded in that period and many an artist's career got screwed over for a myriad of different reasons, few of which now appear to make much sense.

He was (maybe still is) a true talent, with an amazing voice and delivery. The songs didn't keep coming and he experimented trying to find a new way, and it didn't work. It took Pink Floyd a few albums to get over losing Syd, but they had the time to grow and develop. when TTD signed ('84-'85) artists didn't have as much time to develop. You were no longer allowed a couple of albums to find your feet. And resigning an artist for a world record advance after three smash hits meant TTD had to come up with the goods then and there.

TTD went on to become the unfortunate benchmark for the idea of the "Difficult Second Album".

stratohiker likes this.
  17. scott

scott Member

Spin doctors first album was massive. It got played so much that by the end it was obnoxious. Right along with Mr Jones by the counting crows, not a bad song but it got played into oblivion.

kookaburra, Tomo El Gato and kramm47 like this.
  18. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

Portishead. Were absolutely massive here in Europe in the 90s. Maybe people burned out on that sound, you never hear them on the oldies radio stations.

Hot In The Shade likes this.
  19. tommyg

tommyg Member

Serious "Oops!" on my part...make that...

Emerson, Lake, and POWELL

20. the_rising

the_rising Silver Supporting Member

Touring now - I believe sold out Madison Square Garden 2 consecutive nights (sold out at least the first then added a second). New record in November.