Huge Bands that Vanished

ScalpRock

A band that disappeared is The Darkness.. Do any of you remember that british glam rock band?
God, their first record "Permission To Land" was AMAZING. It came out in 2003, i was still in middle school and i clearly remember driving my bike for almost 10km just to buy the CD.
Then they came out with the second record which lost all the magic of the first. If i remember right the bassist and drummer left the band and another guy came in and screwed everything. Then they totally disappeared and i've never heard of them ever again

At their zenith ... it's true, they've never put out anything as good as their first album. Well, at least the singer is sober now and still alive:

FenderLester

America, Kansas, Chicago, Foreigner, Styx, Scorpions, Squeeze, Psychedelic Furs, Los Lobos, The Cure, Art Of Noise, REM, The Smithereens, 10,000 Maniacs, Live, Third Eye Blind, Train, Incubus, Arcade Fire, Franz Ferdinand, Kings of Leon, Mumford and Sons

I know some are still around, but under the radar. I had a number of others on the list (XTC, The Alarm, Spin Doctors, Gin Blossoms, Urge Overkill, Evanescence, Switchfoot, Avenged Sevenfold), but I didn't think they were famous for a decade (maybe?). Don't know how influential, but they were all big at the time. Some might be seen as one-hitters, and some not 'big' enough maybe, but I think all these had a number of successful songs/albums out and were all the buzz at the time. There isn't a specific line that defines 'big' for me here. I can agree to disagree if someone wants to count chart hits and revenue made; fine, whatever. This is just what I can think of that disappeared.

chrisr777

NIN sold out the Hollywood Bowl a few years ago with Stone Sour. A lot of these bands are all over SiriusXM on various stations. I hear Beastie Boys on KLOS frequently as well. And my son did sound for BOC as his first gig in his new job. Sent me a picture of THE cowbell from the stage.

taez555

Katy Perry

3 near diamond albums. Then fell of the radar for 10 years.(yes, that much time has passed. you're older than you think) I guess she's doing the Vegas thing, but still to be that big then.....

Also..

LMFAO

The whole Party rock thing was HUGE. Only 2 albums between 2009 and 2011. The 2nd went triple platinum. Then they just retired in 2012.

Slideman

B.O.C.

And some of these bands being mentioned have not disappeared. US classic rock radio just sticks with music released before 1992.
Still touring and released a new album this year....but in fairness they've experienced large gaps in their discography and touring - 1988 to 1998/2001....then releasing another one 20 years later.

Exiled_On_Main_St

Reading a lot of this thread, there are bands that were still active, with a huge following, and people mistook their lack of awareness of this as them ‘disappearing’.

Someone said the Stone Roses. Disappeared? Can’t say I’d use that word for one of the most influential British bands ever. They broke up. :dunno

Raimond

Aren’t most of these bands dead? A lot of bands mentioned are pretty old, not judging just saying they probably retired and died living a quiet life? Idk, just another of my manic rantings!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom