Huge Bands that Vanished

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Silent Sound, Aug 19, 2019.

1. DV52

DV52 Member

We saw BOC this summer at the beach . They are still Rocking !!
    This news just in ...... People do not care if people are gay . It was no secret that John and Mercury , Halford are gay,, Nobody gives a $hit about it . I don't want to hear about thier politics either, athletes or musicians. When I go see them I want to hear the music, or watch the game

2. ripple

ripple To keep fresh, keep capped & cold. Silver Supporting Member

+1
    The fish-lipped guy was a huge early influence on my playing.

3. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

If you ask 1,000 Americans if they know of Spinal Tap and also the Darkness. I would expect that 500+ would know Spinal Tap and 50 or less would know the Darkness.

4. Sobbincat

Sobbincat Gold Supporting Member

Huge band of musical brothers at Bill's Raleigh BBQ. Made a lot of noise and split. Everybody played a solo at the same time. Some want the reunion tour. Some just want to forget. But all will remember the jams, the food and the hospitality.

melodiusthunk, kinmike and DV52 like this.
  5. Flatscan

That's an odd comment about Lou.

While Bowie magnified the spotlight that Lou had already placed on his sexuality, Lou was never closeted (Velvets and beyond).

He put it on his record covers, he talked and screamed about it at his shows, and he memorialized his experiences and observations in many, many, many songs.

Further, he never abandoned any of his catalog in any era - even when he was making clear that he was also attracted to women.

Lou is very rightly a bisexual icon.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Cruciform likes this.
  6. renoman_89502

renoman_89502 Member

Billy Squier is not gay ! He had a 20 year run in the music industry !! He still plays in things like Ringo's All star band.

7. mutron

mutron Member

Billy Squire arguably had a bigger influence in hip-hop than he ever did in rock as the drum sound in "The Stroke" was heavily sampled and used by everyone from Run DMC to A$AP Rocky. No one in hop hop knows or cares about his cringy video but they all know THAT snare sound!

8. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Supporting Member

Yes. There was a movie (a mockumentary if you will) about Spinal Tap. That doesn't mean The Darkness have vanished.

9. Misterbulbous

Yeah. I know BOC are still touring. They were at the Corbin, KY fairgrounds last year. Boyhood home of Col Sanders.

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  10. Flatscan

Agreed @Misterbulbous. I didn't mean to imply that they were (or to suggest anything negative about their music).

Edit: my point is simply that Spinal Tap is very broadly appreciated (rightly or wrongly heh).

11. Misterbulbous

oh gotcha. probably took it wrong. easy for me to do. lol.

Flatscan likes this.
  12. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

Just to be clear, I was talking about attitudes back then not now. If it wasn't his perceived sexuality, the video and its timing were very.....coincidental.

DV52 likes this.
  13. jfb44

jfb44 Member

Brittney Spears!

14. Waylander

Waylander Member

Not a band, but quite famous as a solo artist. Last album released in 2001. Huge voice.

NB_Terry likes this.
  15. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

I remember when Lou seemed pretty open about, in the 70's, when he was dating Rachel/Tommy. The the 80's show up, starts singing "I Love Women", marries Sylvia, and eventually Laurie Anderson. Both he and Bowie just...stopped...talking about their homosexual tendencies in that era, and next thing you know, Bowie's hooked up with a female supermodel. I'm sure it's all complicated, and whatnot, but it seemed there was a lot of "I was really high and curious" in the 70's that diminished afterwards.

Here's Tom Robinson's take on Lou's stance.

And Vice:

While Bowie’s flirtations with bi-sexuality often came across more as art statements, Lou Reed’s ambi-sexual private life was a lot more, well, gay. In the 1980s he was a regular at the anything-goes NY gay bar Ninth Circle. In the mid-70s, he took up with a transvestite-transsexual (no one seems quite sure which), called Rachel/Tommy. They stayed together for four years, despite having spectacularly little in common. “Rachel was wearing this amazing make-up and dress and was obviously in a different world to anyone else in the place,” recalled Reed of their first meeting. “Eventually I spoke and she came home with me. I rapped for hours and hours, while Rachel just sat there looking at me saying nothing. At the time I was living with a girl, a crazy blonde lady and I kind of wanted us all three to live together but somehow it was too heavy for her. Rachel just stayed on and the girl moved out.”A vampish half-Mexican Indian, Rachel reportedly had no idea of Lou’s reputation, and had no interest in his songs. Instead, she was some kind of smiley, shiny counterweight to whatever else was going on in Lou’s career at the time. Rachel is alleged to have died in the early 1990s, but even now, despite all the VH1 Behind The Musics and Hunter Davies types poring over Reed & The VU, and despite being photographed by Mick Rock and a regular at Max’s Kansas City, next to nothing is known about this post-gendered cypher.

Or Lou himself (in the 70's):

The notion that everybody’s bisexual is a very popular line right now, but I think its validity is limited. I could say something like if in any way my album helps people decide who or what they are, then I will feel I have accomplished something in my life. But I don’t feel that way at all. … You can’t listen to a record and say, “Oh that really turned me onto gay life, I’m gonna be gay.” A lot of people will have one or two experiences, and that’ll be it. Things may not change one iota. … By the time a kid reaches puberty they’ve been determined. Guys walking around in makeup is just fun. Why shouldn’t men be able to put on makeup and have fun like women have?

Even The Advocate describes him as "perhaps bisexual" and "evasive" about his sexuality and who was "rumored to have had relationships with men as well as women".

Mad-kiwi likes this.
  16. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

Yeah, Rod Price. Caught him at Jaxx in NoVa opening for Kim Simmonds’s early 2000s. Sadly, Price passed away sometime later.
    P.S. plenty of BSS era Seger on YouTube playing a Reverse Firebird above the 12th fret. 2 plus 2, Lucifer etc.

Liquid Quarter likes this.
  17. Tomo El Gato

Tomo El Gato Member

I'm no expert in their genre, but even I know that Brooks sells out stadiums:
    https://garthbrooks.com/performances

18. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

I have to admit, I didn’t guess, as they were pretty obscure, but Brave Belt, apparently.

What do I win?

19. DV52

DV52 Member

I was talking about then , not now.
    Talent is what we like these people for. That was the same then.
    Lets say in '76 an engineering fellow in your firm had the finest diagram for a project, and you were the manager of said project, and the design was clearly lauded by all in the firm as stellar in every way and the design was going to make or break the bid on the project that could be a Million Dollar win for your company., BUT....
    Another engineer in your firm with sour grapes cried " He is gay , you should pick my flawed diagram, I am not gay !! This will look bad for the Company !~!"
    Talent and quality is always the answer.

20. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Supporting Member

Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan?

Hum.
    The Wrens.