Huge Comparison Of Similar Speakers...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jumpnblues, Aug 10, 2008.

1. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

...I know it's a pipe dream but after reading countless speaker threads, it would be so useful to have either a blind live or recorded blind comparison of all the Greenback style speakers, all the G12H30 style speakers, all the Celestion V30 style speakers, all the Celestion style alnicos, all the vintage Jensen style PXXR, PXXQ, CXXN, CXXQ, and other popular and important speakers such as Eminence. Obviously, if it's a recorded blind comparison it would have to be done using the same, exact, recording setup, same amp and with the caveat that there will be some coloring of sound by the equipment and the recording process. Prepared sound clips would be nice, but you would then have comparisons that would be colored by not only the recording process, but also by the computer media. Anyway, anyone know if such a comparison has been done before and well written up? If not, it would be a great project for a magazine to undertake. Just a thought.

Tom

2. pear gage

pear gage Member

here is one http://www.bgroupmusic.com/trinityspeakertest.html

The cabs:
    Trinity Amps Marshall-style 2x12 (Tone Tubby Alnico/Tone Tubby Ceramic)
    Orange PPC212 2x12 Cabinet (Vintage 30)
    Mesa Boogie "Oversize" Recto 4x12 Cabinet (Vintage 30)
    Hiwatt SE4123 4x12 Cabinet (70's Fanes)
    Marshall 1960A 4X12 Cabinet (G12T-75)
    Marshall 1960AX 4x12 Cabinet (G12M-25 "Greenbacks")
    Marshall 1965A 4X10 Cabinet (G10)
    Fender 2X12 Cabinet (60's Oxfords)
    Peavey 1x12 Cabinet (G12 "Classic Lead 80")

3. Keld

Keld Member

Thanks for posting the link; really interesting to hear the variations. Must have been fun, but a lot of work.

4. Paul86

Paul86 Member

5. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

some of those samples didn't sound right to me. The Oxfords sounded way brighter than the Fanes, the Tone Tubbys sounded really cutting- aren't they supposed to be sort of lacking in highs?

6. bgroup

bgroup Member

Hey - I'm the guy that did that test! It WAS fun, and WAS a lot of work, but well worth it... I was surprised by a lot of my favorites... I may do another more extensive test/comparison at some point if we can get enough different cabs in the room to make it worthwhile - so anyone near Toronto that wants to loan a cab or two for the test should get in touch with me!

7. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I tried to start something like that - here's something I posted elsewhere. Not all the Greenbacks together or anything, but at least, several speakers under the same circumstances, or as much as I could do.

Sorry for those of you for whom this is a repeat.

----------

so i may be out of my mind, but if you go to this link -
    http://tempusfugitives.articulateimages.com/GearClips/SpeakerTestClips/
    - you will find 5 clips showing 5 different speakers recorded as close to the same as i possibly could within the limitations of my primitive recording skills and lack of patience after getting stuff set up. the blackbird is one of them.

the gold and the blackbird are in oversized semi-open 1-12" KensCabs cabs.
    the 12-65 and the fane are in large semi-open 1-12" KensCabs cabs - similar, but not as large.
    the jensen ceramic 15" is in a Val King 1-15 semi-open cab.
    the cabs were set on a chair for mic'ing and recording.

guitar: chapin keef-o-caster (tele-style with a bucker in the neck)
    middle position, volume at about 8, tone at about 7.

amp: fargen supercollider, everything on noon except the reverb (3:00).
    the first half of each clip is the clean channel, the second half has the OD channel added to the clean.
    an allesandro muzzle attenuator 3 clicks down between the amp and the speakers (i have neighbors).
    i set the amp without plugging anything into it so it would not favor any particular speaker. tweaking would have allowed each speaker to come to life, but it wouldn't be possible to compare them equally if i did that. so noon all the way.

mics: a sennheiser e609 on the grill halfway between the center and the edge, panned hard right.
    a cascade fatheadII ribbon about 6 feet away, between my ears and the cab in question for ambiance, panned hard left.

backing tracks: too slow and way too long. about 2 minutes each.
    i recorded the drums and bass last night (along with a horrendous keyboard part you won't be hearing because it blew big chunks). the tempo seemed fast last night, but like a funeral dirge this morning when i recorded the guitar tracks.
    everything is exactly the same for each clip, all settings are exactly the same throughout.
    no changes to the volume or gain of the preamp or board. if one speaker sounds louder than another, it's because it is.

no effects added in the software except a limiter on the master channel to keep it from distorting.

playing: boring.

the important thing about the clips isn't whether you like one speaker's tone better than another, it's to see the differences between the speakers so you can hear how they vary from whatever your reference is, like the fane or the gold.

anyway, i hope you get something useful out of this!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  8. Keld

Keld Member

I think your link got messed up. Can you repost it?

9. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

10. Luke

Luke Senior Member