• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Huge difference in clarity from a 2014 to a 2019 custom shop LesPaul

tuumbaq

After playing my 2019 R6 at home thru my rig, I realized its has SO much clarity to it than both my 2014 CollectorChoice LesPaul and my M2M ES335.My older LesPaul sounds so muddy compare to the new girl and feels like it has way less bit as well…It cant just be the pickups can it ?

Im guessing the wiring harness makes that big difference???The difference is so immense!

Ive seen a lot of posts on upgrading the harness but I was unsure it would make that much of a difference …Have you guys upgraded older reissue LP and noticed a big difference?

Im looking at these 2 at the moment, any other recommendations?

Flogger59

I did it with a Heritage Std 80 (that had 300k pots to start with) and it made a huge difference. The controls are actually usable and the tone doesn't get muddy when the volumes are lowered.

Avoid CreamTone for the moment, he appears to be off the rails. I have an Emerson harness with PIO caps and it's a pleasure to spin the knobs, silky low friction.

tuumbaq

I did it with a Heritage Std 80 (that had 300k pots to start with) and it made a huge difference. The controls are actually usable and the tone doesn't get muddy when the volumes are lowered.

Avoid CreamTone for the moment, he appears to be off the rails. I have an Emerson harness with PIO caps and it's a pleasure to spin the knobs, silky low friction.
Oh I forgot about Emerson, thank you for that!

Im wondering if that would be a significant upgrade over the standard custom shop wiring?? I know theyve changed those in 2019 but have no idea what the new ones are

Last edited:

somedude

After playing my 2019 R6 at home thru my rig, I realized its has SO much clarity to it than both my 2014 CollectorChoice LesPaul and my M2M ES335.My older LesPaul sounds so muddy compare to the new girl and feels like it has way less bit as well…It cant just be the pickups can it ?
Are you comparing P90s to humbuckers?

You know P90s have more mids and PAFs are kind of scooped?

ckfoxtrot

To have a better idea of what's going on when comparing your different guitars you need to know what pot values and caps all the guitars have already.

Upgrading/changing the pots and caps as well as how a guitar is wired can make a big difference.

You can also source all of the individual components and solder it all up yourself. It's super easy and you'll likely save money over the wiring kits people offer.

Dave L

Do all three guitars have the exact same model pickups? If not, that alone can definitely be all the difference you´re hearing, for sure. It is the biggest factor in the sound of an electric. The values of the caps and pots probably are second, and the quality of the electronics come somewhere further down the line in the more esoteric area.

You also have to consider the pickup height. 1/32" can make a big difference sometimes.

But if it even is different types of pickups you´re comparing, like someone asked above, then the discussion basically starts and stops with the pickups.

modavis99

Silver Supporting Member
All your guitars should have 500k pots but you might want to measure the vol pot on the collectors choice. The collectors choice prob has potted custombuckers and I think the 2019 has unpotted so you might be hearing that. (The 335 might have MhS pickups - again you’ll hear that). And, as was mentioned, all guitars just sound a little different.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom