HUGE difference in monitoring Kemper w/ headphones vs IEMs

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Paul Anderberg, May 10, 2016.

1. Paul Anderberg

Paul Anderberg Member

So I've been playing around with the Kemper at home with my headphones and it sounds absolutely amazing. Tones are pretty incredible. Problem is, when I plug in my IEMs directly into the Headphone Out (is that a no-no?), only one half of the signal comes through (right ear) and it's really gritty and, for a lack of better word, grainy as opposed to the smooth, balanced tone in the headphones. I also have to turn the volume down to 5.0 instead of the 9.something that I have the headphones at. Any thoughts on what this could be?

Headphones are Beyerdynamic DT770s and the IEMs are 1964 V6-Stages.

Thanks!

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  2. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

the IEMs will require MUCH less signal to drive them... that's not right if only one ear gets sound... try a different 1/4" adapter plug than you are using... it might not be very compatible, I had to try a couple to get my mixer head phone jack to work well with my earbuds. Those V6's should sound GREAT.... do they work well with your smartphone or media devices?

3. guitonit

guitonit Member

It is probably an impedance mismatch as well. The headphone amps on those units are more geared towards consumer headphones vs IEM's. My IEM's on the headphone output of my AxeFX sound awful compared to the actual IEM wireless pack.

Nice explanation here for you... http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/headphone-impedance-explained.html

Scott A.

4. wedewer

wedewer Supporting Member

I just bought one of these and it arrived today. I guess it works by matching the impedence or something like that. Gonna see how it work with my UE7's at my next gig

http://pro.ultimateears.com/line-drive

5. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

The Profiler's HPs Output's nominal impedance is 33 ohm. I see the V6-S' is 22 ohm... not a good match.
    If it's possible I'd use the stereo output on the back of the Profiler.

The link guitonit supplied is interesting, but for same reason omits to specify that the best linearity is attained when the HPs' impedance is at least 10 times the source's output's.

I've published a guide to choosing HPs, if you're interested you'll find it among my threads.

:)

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    guitonit likes this.