huge house / small lot ?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Dave Shoop, Apr 18, 2016.

house and property size if push comes to shove

1. I'll scale down house to own more land

38 vote(s)
    67.9%
  2. give me a huge home, I love my neighbors and never use the yard anyway.

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  3. I'll live in a tent if I can avoid having to see other people.

13 vote(s)
    23.2%
  1. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

I have to admit when I walk my dog thru the trails in town we pass some amazing houses and I feel some envy. For the most part I have no desire to have a house that is so large there would be rooms I would probably not enter most of the time. I have my idea of a perfect home for me though. One level, no stairs. Big ranch.

What amazes me is when I see a million dollar or more home on a lot that is so small the houses are very very close to each other. It looks strange as heck to me. I can't imagine being wealthy enough to build a huge house and doing it in a neighborhood where the house next door is cramping me. One neighborhood I go by looks really weird the houses are so big and there's maybe 25 feet between houses.

Why would someone do this ?

I'll take a smaller home on a large property any day over a large home on a small lot.

Fred Farkus likes this.
  2. JimmyB

JimmyB Silver Supporting Member

Sadly, that "smaller home on a large property" means a 3 hour commute around here... either that or a mid-seven-figure starting price. :cry:

And "the houses are so big and there's maybe 25 feet between houses" made me laugh as there are 'premium' areas around here where it's normal to see 4,000-6,000 sq. ft. houses less than 10 feet apart... and folks are paying 2-3 million for those. :huh

It looks like this... with the semi-detached at the bottom available for just a hair less than a million and the detached at the top being the madness described above:

[​IMG]

3. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

25 ft. is quite a lot of space between houses in newer CA neighborhoods. The reality is the bigger the size of the house to the lot the less you will likely see your neighbors. Our house is pretty close to our neighbors, but with window placement I don't see into their houses at all. Only time I see them is outside!

4. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

Residential real estate comes with a balancing act of many variables. Home size, lot size, location, and fiscal ability have to be balanced. It seems for the majority of folks square footage under roof is the #1 priority and location is probably #2. Location means other folks are probably competing for that location too so hence the small lots to merge with the average fiscal ability.

5. Mindcore

Mindcore Member

JimmyB, I was wondering why you were quoting those crazy numbers, then read where you were from!

It's mental here. I would hate to be trying to buy a house for the first time, couldn't be don't I don't think..

That said, first world problems I know, I live in a huge house with rooms I never go into. It irks me a bit.

if the house has large principal rooms, and enough space that we're not on top of each other, I'd then prefer a large yard. I grew up on 100 acres, so seeing another house in my field of view is off putting.

6. 65DuoSonic

65DuoSonic Member

7. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

How about moderately sized house on a small lot with lots of communal green space and trails? That is what we did, I have a nice patio, with a good view, and the HOA takes care of all the exterior maintenance. If I want to go on a hike, mountain bike, walk, run, etc. I have 30 miles of trails right outside my door.

8. hellbender

hellbender Member

Just read an article on this that points out that in order for contractors and developers to make the kind of money they are used to and with land costing more, the only solution is to build bigger houses. Most folks don't seem to mind and don't think of it as a "forever" home. Just something to live in and raise kids.

9. RJLII

RJLII Member

It depends on where you live. In the Midwest you're able to do both if you want without spending yourself into oblivion. Of course that means you won't be able to live where the cool kids do, but that's fine with me. I can live without a Starbucks every 100 yards.

dshobe likes this.
  10. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

Some want a house. Some want land. Some want both. Some want neither.

pjrhd28 and lp_bruce like this.
  11. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

We have no grass to mow. I'm OK with that. Our property is all a big brick patio, front and back.

Our last house was in a bigger city- our lot was worth more than the house.

12. FFTT

FFTT Member

It's how developers grab the rights to subdivide property.
    They imply X dollars in property tax revenues by maxing out the potential.

People with jobs that support $20K a month house payments rarely have time for house chores.

13. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

It's all about the school zone, so...

Boris Bubbanov likes this.
  14. Madsen

Madsen Member

really depends on the area. my dream place has lots of land around it to avoid noise complaints from neighbors. i don't need too many rooms but would like the ones i have to be spacious with high ceilings.

my brother had a big place with no yard in Vegas where much of the year it's too hot to spend any time outside anyways & it seemed to work.

15. Moxsam

Moxsam Member

Ya 25 feet would be excessive in the new subdivisions here. My buddy just bought a big fancy house and he can reach out his bedroom window and touch the house next to him. It's ridiculous.

My wife and I just bought a house in the country a few years back. Small acreage and I will NEVER live in town again. I can't imagine the neighbors being so close.

We doubled our square footage yet ironically spend 90% of our time in half the house.

Some other friends of mine built a BIG rancher and the rooms are so big they can't figure out where to put the furniture to make the rooms work. There are these big open spaces in every room that are useless. One of their bathrooms is hilarious. You get out of the shower or off the toilet and you have to walk about 8 steps to get to the bathroom counter. WTF are you going to do in there?

A big house is a waste of money.

16. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

sorry to be stupid but is this real or a computer model of some sort ?

Not knocking what works for others or at least that wasn't my intention. I couldn't live in NYC either. Just me, I hate feeling cramped, closed in. Claustrophobic I guess.

17. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

I wish I had a big lot around my place.

The gal next door is a classless piece of trash who runs her mouth all day long, every day.

If I'm outside, I can hear her cursing her kids or her boyfriend.

The gal on the other side of her happens to be a very nice black lady, but the one between likes to go around using the N word with impunity.

Every time the cops come around, I hope she's getting evicted, but it has yet to happen. I had high hopes one day when I saw her boyfriend moving a mattress away in a truck that was too small for it.
    He looked like he was doing a Three Stooges routine as he and his buddies loaded the truck & tried to strategically place it so as not to hit oncoming traffic.

18. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

I just want to land on a house.

19. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

It all depends on proximity to the neighbors and yard work for me. I have half an acre - it's more than I really want in terms of upkeep, but it means none of my neighbors are looking into my windows from five feet away. Ideally, I'd want a big house on a wooded lot...

jamess likes this.
  20. Jamalot

Jamalot Member

Developers build that way, so they can cram more units onto the lot. The more yard they give you, the less profit for them.

They have to build enough house to attract the desired buyer. Most new construction in high-demand areas gets built this way.

Me? I live on a 2 acre lot, with no abutting neighbors and hundreds of acres of forested hills out my back door. Lumber harvesting from some time ago has left it nicely covered with trails. Skimobile trails too, with a link up to a statewide network of trails Also, completely crisscrossed by 2' stone walls from the 1800s when it was all cleared farmland.

My sister lives in the Phoenix area, in a 2500 sq ft house wedged onto maybe a 4000 sf ft lot. She's got a token little back 'yard' made out of dirt rocks and scorpions

Yer Blues likes this.