Huge OD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by E Baxter Put, Jun 28, 2008.

1. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Member

Can there ever be enough OD recommendation threads?

Anyways.... I'm looking for an overdrive that sounds BIG. Most overdrives seem to sound small to me. Fuzzes usually sound bigger to me. Is there a good big sounding OD? I've tried a screwdriver, throbak odb, and rat. Maybe I should be looking for a low gain fuzz? I'm considering a Lady Stardust.

Any advice?

2. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Member

Forgot to mention, I mostly use a Les Paul junior into a deluxe reverb

3. El Gallo Negro

El Gallo Negro Member

The Catalinbread SCOD is silly huge, and a bit fuzzy. I find it better for lead than rhythm because it's so fat, but I think there are plenty of other people who do use it for rhythm.

Anyway, it's badass.

4. Rock72

Rock72 Member

5. serviviente7

serviviente7 Supporting Member

Do yourself a favor an go to youtube and search the the LUTHER DRIVE. That sucker is all the OD you will ever need. It sounds fantastic and if you use a humbucker guitar WATCH OUT! We are no talking distortion here we are talking some serious OD. I have been playing many years and i have owned the "hyped" pedals at some point but this is the real thing and at a great value. Check it out.

6. tjstrat

tjstrat Member

MI Crunchbox. Huge... and affordable!

7. Julia343

Julia343 Member

Very expensive solution but well worth it if you can win the bid on *bay: Mesa V-twin Preamp. Clean & solo, or blues crunch and solo. Basically a rectoverb in a box. Uses a 12v 1 amp power supply -- Mesa's power supply recommended -- it's quiet. Think about it if you end up buying a bunch of overdrive pedals looking for the right one. The most expensive gear is the stuff you never use.

8. oxtone

oxtone Member

Carl Martin PlexiTone - Huge Marshall tones, and a built-in Boost.

9. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

Box of Rock sounds pretty huge to me. Tons and tons of volume on tap. Especially huge (and to my ears crunchier) with both sides on.

cheers

10. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Member

Thanks for the replies. I tried an mi audio classic distortion which is an amazing pedal, but never sounded "huge." I have also tried 2 red llama clones, a red camel, which sounded really good, but was too noisey, and a dirty dan, which sounded fair.

The Catalinbread stuff looks interesting. Maybe a hyper pak, teaser stallion or SCOD?

11. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

teaser is fun, but i sold mine. low gain fuzz king is analogman (sunlion). Huge is OCD i think. but anything sounds big if you juice the volume. i'm fairly certain you can't get a good sound out of an OD without the volume past unity, just MHO.

12. El Gallo Negro

El Gallo Negro Member

I'm tellin' you, bro. I've had the SCOD on the board for over two years, which is like 3000 human years. It's hugeness never falters. :banana

13. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

I think that we should always mention what amp we're using in these discussions.I've found that different pedals don't sound so good with one amp and fantastic with another.A big fat od doesn't always sound so good with
    my vibrolux but will sound great with my '68 plexi.Or a fat od with just the right eq will sound good with the vibrolux's bass response and not so cool with my Marshall.Etc,Etc.I have pedals for different amps for different tunes
    and it never ends.The op mentioned a couple of od's such as the rat that sound awesome with some of my amps.
    Know wutta mean?