Hughes and Kettner

bbgie1223

Gold Supporting Member
Can anyone tell me the difference between a 20th Anniversary Edition Tube and the older edition tube? They appear to be pretty much the same amp. Thanks.

Andy

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
Good question, are you looking at that blem one on Musicians Friend? Just curious, I am too.
:BEER

buchla300

The older one has the red box ( recording output) built in as far as I am aware. The anniversary is the same but without it. I think the speaker may have changed too.
Excellent amps by the way...

bbgie1223

Gold Supporting Member
I'm pretty sure that the new model has the DI Box. Are the speaker and the DI the only differences?

klaetos

New model has the Red Box DI on the effects loop "send". Nice little amp. I had one for a year and a half. Putting a weber blue dog ceramic is a nice sounding upgrade to the Rockdriver. Check ebay first.

American Guitar and Band in the Minneapolis area now has my old one. Probably get a good deal on it with the Weber Blue Dog already installed, new tubes and the footswitch (which does not come standard you have to buy it for like $30-40). ;)

buchla300

New model has the Red Box DI on the effects loop "send". Nice little amp. I had one for a year and a half. Putting a weber blue dog ceramic is a nice sounding upgrade to the Rockdriver.
Not what I was told.
The older ones had the RED DI
The newer ones they tell you you can plug into a red di from the fx send. It's not built in.

buchla300

If you read the spec carefully it says:2 separately variable channels: CLEAN with VOLUME; LEAD with GAIN + MASTER
3-band EQ
REVERB knob
1/4" input jack
SEND for connecting external effect devices, a RED BOX™ for a direct out feed or an additional poweramp
RETURN for effect return signals
FOOTSWITCH for connecting a footswitch for remote channel access
EXTERNAL SPEAKER for connecting an outboard cabinet
Poweramp: 20 Watt, 2 x EL 84 poweramp tubes
Loudspeaker: 12" Eminence® Rockdriver Cream
Dimensions: 56cm x 27,5cm x 46cm (WxHxD)
Weight: approx. 24 kg / 53 lbs

Which is an odd way of saying what I said above.
You have a send which can be used to connect to external effects OR a Red Box (if you have one) OR an an amp

This model has the RED DI (XLR output)

klaetos

Interesting...I will have to see if I still have my manual. I was pretty sure it said it had the redbox. I see if I can find it. I did never try it though. Always had it miced.

If you read the spec carefully it says:2 separately variable channels: CLEAN with VOLUME; LEAD with GAIN + MASTER
3-band EQ
REVERB knob
1/4" input jack
SEND for connecting external effect devices, a RED BOX™ for a direct out feed or an additional poweramp
RETURN for effect return signals
FOOTSWITCH for connecting a footswitch for remote channel access
EXTERNAL SPEAKER for connecting an outboard cabinet
Poweramp: 20 Watt, 2 x EL 84 poweramp tubes
Loudspeaker: 12" Eminence® Rockdriver Cream
Dimensions: 56cm x 27,5cm x 46cm (WxHxD)
Weight: approx. 24 kg / 53 lbs

Which is an odd way of saying what I said above.
You have a send which can be used to connect to external effects OR a Red Box (if you have one) OR an an amp

This model has the RED DI (XLR output)

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
I had a Behringer GI-100 and hated it... I've never tried the Red Box but heard good things. To each his/her own I guess.

klaetos

I would agree. I thought it had it for the time I owned it. Never tried to use, but thought I would when I picked that amp. I could not find it in the manual doesn't say anything about it. buchla300 it appears that you are correct.

Chad

That is rude and I would call Musician's Friend on that and see what's up? A Red Box is a really nice DI (and costs $100+) alone. If I bought the H&K that would definitely be a contributing factor for my purchase.

And I quote "It also has variable spring reverb, an effects loop, a Red Box DI, and an external speaker jack."
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...e-20th-Anniversary-Model-Combo-Amp?sku=480426 :nono

bbgie1223

Gold Supporting Member
OK. DI aside, because that's really not a big factor for me, what's the differnce in sound - characteristics - build quality - controls, etc? In other words, what's the difference in the sound of the amps themselves aside from the DI issue?

KSKONDOR

I'm curious about this amp as well. I have a univalve but looking for something with built in reverb and two channels. Looking for a good blues/classic rock tone.

EdMan57

I'm pretty sure that the new model has the DI Box. Are the speaker and the DI the only differences?
Pretty much.The older Edition Tube [not to be confused with the even older Tube 20] came with a Celestion G12F-60 "Rockdriver" speaker.

Ed

klaetos

OK. DI aside, because that's really not a big factor for me, what's the differnce in sound - characteristics - build quality - controls, etc? In other words, what's the difference in the sound of the amps themselves aside from the DI issue?
I never played the older one but the newer on was nice sounding. The clean got a nice breakup at reasonable volumes, not really a lot of headroom. The gain started off loud right away, and a good amount of gain. Say it went from med gain to saturation on the dial. Tubes and speaker really make a big difference. The Tungsol 12AX7 was my favorite. TAD STR were my favorite EL84 but the amp just ate them way too fast, not as durable as the JJ's. I really enjoyed the sound of this amp and would have kept it if I didn't need the extra cash toward my new purchase.

I'm curious about this amp as well. I have a univalve but looking for something with built in reverb and two channels. Looking for a good blues/classic rock tone.
For good smokey blues I would say try putting in the CV4024, Mike at KCA suggested these for me to bring down the gain a bit in the lead channel. It worked nice. As far as classic rock sound, only if you are looking for that 2 EL84 vibe. Very different then the American classic rock of the Deluxe Reverb.

The biggest drawback were:
Tubes are a pain to change, you have to unscrew the back panel then unscrew the chassis, and the tubes are mounted on the board. It can go through EL84's, which I have heard or not that tough of a tube anyway, they are mounted on the PCB board right behind the speaker.

But the cost of a used one (the Euro has killed the price on a new one) is a great deal for a good sounding amp. I looked a long time for that kind of amp in that price range, I think the H&K is the best value and sound for that class of amp in the 2 EL84 set up. Like I said I would have kept mine if I didn't need the trade value. Play one if you can.

buchla300

Apart from the DI and speaker, I think they are basically the same. All older H&K are built like tanks and I think they still are.
I played a Tube 20 new version and thought it was an excellent amp. New, not expensive, but just above what I wanted to spend. Got a Laney TT20 instead. I would gladly have a Tube 20 though.

Trending Topics