Hughes and Kettner

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bbgie1223, Jan 25, 2008.

1. bbgie1223

bbgie1223 Supporting Member

Can anyone tell me the difference between a 20th Anniversary Edition Tube and the older edition tube? They appear to be pretty much the same amp. Thanks.

Andy

2. Gasp100

Gasp100 Member

Good question, are you looking at that blem one on Musicians Friend? Just curious, I am too.
    :BEER

3. buchla300

buchla300 Member

The older one has the red box ( recording output) built in as far as I am aware. The anniversary is the same but without it. I think the speaker may have changed too.
    Excellent amps by the way...

4. bbgie1223

I'm pretty sure that the new model has the DI Box. Are the speaker and the DI the only differences?

5. klaetos

klaetos Member

New model has the Red Box DI on the effects loop "send". Nice little amp. I had one for a year and a half. Putting a weber blue dog ceramic is a nice sounding upgrade to the Rockdriver. Check ebay first.

American Guitar and Band in the Minneapolis area now has my old one. Probably get a good deal on it with the Weber Blue Dog already installed, new tubes and the footswitch (which does not come standard you have to buy it for like $30-40). ;)

6. buchla300

buchla300 Member

Not what I was told.
    The older ones had the RED DI
    The newer ones they tell you you can plug into a red di from the fx send. It's not built in.

7. buchla300

buchla300 Member

If you read the spec carefully it says:2 separately variable channels: CLEAN with VOLUME; LEAD with GAIN + MASTER
    3-band EQ
    REVERB knob
    1/4" input jack
    SEND for connecting external effect devices, a RED BOX™ for a direct out feed or an additional poweramp
    RETURN for effect return signals
    FOOTSWITCH for connecting a footswitch for remote channel access
    EXTERNAL SPEAKER for connecting an outboard cabinet
    Poweramp: 20 Watt, 2 x EL 84 poweramp tubes
    Loudspeaker: 12" Eminence® Rockdriver Cream
    Dimensions: 56cm x 27,5cm x 46cm (WxHxD)
    Weight: approx. 24 kg / 53 lbs

Which is an odd way of saying what I said above.
    You have a send which can be used to connect to external effects OR a Red Box (if you have one) OR an an amp

This model has the RED DI (XLR output)
    [​IMG]

8. klaetos

klaetos Member

Interesting...I will have to see if I still have my manual. I was pretty sure it said it had the redbox. I see if I can find it. I did never try it though. Always had it miced.

9. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

I have the 20th Anniv and it does not have the red DI.

10. Gasp100

Gasp100 Member

11. Gasp100

Gasp100 Member

I had a Behringer GI-100 and hated it... I've never tried the Red Box but heard good things. To each his/her own I guess.

12. klaetos

klaetos Member

I would agree. I thought it had it for the time I owned it. Never tried to use, but thought I would when I picked that amp. I could not find it in the manual doesn't say anything about it. buchla300 it appears that you are correct.

Chad

13. bbgie1223

OK. DI aside, because that's really not a big factor for me, what's the differnce in sound - characteristics - build quality - controls, etc? In other words, what's the difference in the sound of the amps themselves aside from the DI issue?

14. KSKONDOR

KSKONDOR Member

I'm curious about this amp as well. I have a univalve but looking for something with built in reverb and two channels. Looking for a good blues/classic rock tone.

15. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

Pretty much.The older Edition Tube [not to be confused with the even older Tube 20] came with a Celestion G12F-60 "Rockdriver" speaker.

Ed

16. klaetos

klaetos Member

I never played the older one but the newer on was nice sounding. The clean got a nice breakup at reasonable volumes, not really a lot of headroom. The gain started off loud right away, and a good amount of gain. Say it went from med gain to saturation on the dial. Tubes and speaker really make a big difference. The Tungsol 12AX7 was my favorite. TAD STR were my favorite EL84 but the amp just ate them way too fast, not as durable as the JJ's. I really enjoyed the sound of this amp and would have kept it if I didn't need the extra cash toward my new purchase.

For good smokey blues I would say try putting in the CV4024, Mike at KCA suggested these for me to bring down the gain a bit in the lead channel. It worked nice. As far as classic rock sound, only if you are looking for that 2 EL84 vibe. Very different then the American classic rock of the Deluxe Reverb.

The biggest drawback were:
    Tubes are a pain to change, you have to unscrew the back panel then unscrew the chassis, and the tubes are mounted on the board. It can go through EL84's, which I have heard or not that tough of a tube anyway, they are mounted on the PCB board right behind the speaker.

But the cost of a used one (the Euro has killed the price on a new one) is a great deal for a good sounding amp. I looked a long time for that kind of amp in that price range, I think the H&K is the best value and sound for that class of amp in the 2 EL84 set up. Like I said I would have kept mine if I didn't need the trade value. Play one if you can.

17. buchla300

buchla300 Member

Apart from the DI and speaker, I think they are basically the same. All older H&K are built like tanks and I think they still are.
    I played a Tube 20 new version and thought it was an excellent amp. New, not expensive, but just above what I wanted to spend. Got a Laney TT20 instead. I would gladly have a Tube 20 though.