1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Hughes Ketner Rotosphere question ???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ChrisGS, Oct 6, 2006.

1. ChrisGS

ChrisGS Member

A friend of mine just picked a second hand Rotosphere and he's complaining about it having some hiss...I haven't yet heard it , but I figured I'd ask the experts of TGP to find out if the rotosphere is known for having a bunch of hiss .

Any advice ?

Chris.

2. black_dice

black_dice Member

Every one I've heard/used hissed as well.

3. GBlekas

GBlekas Supporting Member

It's the best Leslie sim made. If you listen to it, by itself, though your amp at home you will hear the hiss. Live is a different beast though.

I sat down and anlyzed it next to a real Leslie and that is when I heard the hiss. that everybody is yaking about, for the first time. Never before did I notice it because I was out playing live and not at home sipping tea with my pinkey out.

Hiss in this, as well as other pedals, are way less noticable when you are in a band situation. If you are at home making sound clips you probably could make excellent recording using all digital processors. The digital rack pieces can be had for cheap as there is no market for them at the moment.

Anybody that is of mention uses a Rotosphere. There are a few other rarer and harder to finded choices but I have yet to see anybody of mention say the Rototsphere is a piece of crap.

If you have heard the real deal you know that tube distortion is part of the myth behind a leslie. Tube distortion is happening with the Rotosphere as well.

Hiss? Is the room too smokey for you? Is the long hours tough on you? Do your fingers hurt when you play hard? Try, for a second, to be a real player and not a cork sniffing *****. Dam if it don't sound like a bunch of doctors with the money to fork out on gear. Follow the leaders in music and not the collectors brother!

No offense intended to doctors or cork sniffers but the real players don't whine quite so much about simulation devices.

Think about it this way...you are trying to simulate the doppler effect electronically. Hmm, any idea what the doppler effect even is? Is it even possible to do electronically? I don't think so...or at least not as accurately as done with actual moving speakers connected to a low powered amplifier.

4. eric-d

eric-d Member

Had one - Noisey!!! Traded it for a ChoralFlange - Too hi-fi, sold it and got an Analog.Man Mini Chorus - Happy!!

5. KarlH

KarlH Member

The rotosphere has the depth, warmth, and saturation of a real 147. The rotosim and the fulltone choralfange sound very similar, with the rotosim having a much better slow sound.

yes, the rotovibe is noisier, but it sounds the best.

6. jbird327

jbird327 Member

The hiss has never been a problem and I can't imagine it being noticable in a live setting along with all the other noise. It is a +4 v device, try a clean boost in front to increase the input if you really need it. More bothersome for me is the bypass tone so I keep it in a loop.

7. hipfan

hipfan Member

The unit is designed to sound best in a hot effects loop, post pre-amp. A nice hot signal allows you to keep the "input" control down a bit, which eliminates the cause of the hiss some people experience. Also, putting it post pre-amp allows for a more realistic, deep effect. It really sounds best this way. If your friend does not have an effects loop on his amp, you should try what jbird327 recommends. It won't give you an optimal set-up for the Roto, but it might moderate the noise.

My Mk.II Rotosphere sits on top of my amp, connected to the effects loop with a couple 3 foot cables. I then run a Nobels dual footswitch to control on/off and fast/slow from my pedalboard.

The swirl is beautiful. That pedal ain't going nowhere! :)

8. ChrisGS

ChrisGS Member

Thanks for all of the replies...I like the ball-busting reply from GBlekas , I will pass it on .

Anyway , I told my friend that if he's going to return it , I'd buy it from him instead for what he paid .

I hope the hiss drives him nuts ...

Thanks again ,
    Chris.

9. StevieK

StevieK Member

I'm really happy with my rotoshpere MK II and noisey would be one of the last words that comes to my mind to describe it.

I run it in front of my amp with a clean boost before the rotosphere with the Drive about 11:00 and the output around noon.

10. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

I love my Roto. It's my second . The first lasted for nearly 10 years and still works....I just decided to retire it.

In a loop there is no noise. I can live with the noise live. In a band mix I don't even notice it.

11. hipfan

hipfan Member

11:00 is the sweetspot, IMO. :AOK