Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube 20th Anniversary amp

I was at my tech's today for some repair and he had some of these (three) for NAMM... He played through them for a few minutes with a Replex and Rotosphere- they sounded great!

He said they were actually a quasi-AC15 type circuit, not *all* that far off from my Carmen Ghia (except I'm keeping the Ghia!)... Pretty cool amps. Has anybody else tried these?

They have two channels, master volume, three tone controls and reverb (I happen to prefer the Carmen Ghia's approach to the 2xEL84 amp design, which is pretty different in my opinion)... They're only $650 at MF. Pretty cool. If anybody here goes to NAMM, check them out...

RomanS

Those have been around for a while. The guitar shop I usually go to uses one as the demo amp for trying out new guitars. I really liek the clean sounds, astoningishly strong bass for such a small cab. A bit pricey for a mass-produced non-boutique amp, though...

neastguy

Silver Supporting Member
Those have been around for a while. The guitar shop I usually go to uses one as the demo amp for trying out new guitars. I really liek the clean sounds, astoningishly strong bass for such a small cab. A bit pricey for a mass-produced non-boutique amp, though...
i agree, I would only get it if it were used.... save a lot of cash

xroads

I had one, very nice amp. The semi-closed cabinet gives the strong basses. I think this with the combination of the Vox like circuit is a real winner. Also, the reverb is supressed a bit if you change to the lead channel - cool feature!

Slick

I was at my tech's today for some repair and he had some of these (three) for NAMM... He played through them for a few minutes with a Replex and Rotosphere- they sounded great!

He said they were actually a quasi-AC15 type circuit, not *all* that far off from my Carmen Ghia (except I'm keeping the Ghia!)... Pretty cool amps. Has anybody else tried these?

They have two channels, master volume, three tone controls and reverb (I happen to prefer the Carmen Ghia's approach to the 2xEL84 amp design, which is pretty different in my opinion)... They're only $650 at MF. Pretty cool. If anybody here goes to NAMM, check them out...

Yep.. I had one, but, 20 watts just isn't enough for me. Awsome amp if you don't need a lot of power.

klaetos

I have one as well and have been real pleased with it. Although currently the Eminence speaker it comes with is "blown", there was a more technical answer but this sums it up. I ordered a Weber Blue Dog ceramic to replace it. I'll post my findings when I get the new speaker. It should ad to the "voxey" chime. Great sounding amp though for the $$. I saved a bunch by waiting for an awesome "buy it now" deal on ebay.

neastguy

Silver Supporting Member
Yep.. I had one, but, 20 watts just isn't enough for me. Awsome amp if you don't need a lot of power.
I know loudness is in the mind of the beholder but I a/b'ed it against a traynor 20 wr and I swear the HK was 3 times louder... at least mine was.... I can play with my band at about 10 oclock on volume... but were just a small classic rock bar band.... the larger bars you would have to mic... on a side note, my zinky is 20-25 watts, and I barely push it at gigs..... your not gonna get a chugachuga out of it it... but I dont see that coming out of most 1x12 combos...:BEER

EdMan57

I had one of the earlier Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube 20 combos [with the Celestion G12F-60 speaker and no Red Box D.I.]...one of the few amps that I have regreted selling.

:(

Ed

BBQLS1

A guy who runs a blues jam up in Lebanon TN had two for the guitarists. I always liked them.

slowburn

there's a used one nearby that the guys says the gain channel has a buzzing sound so he's selling it for $145. can that be easily repaired? $145 for this amp sounds unreal even with a crapped out 2nd channel

thedave

I would consider buying it just for the "clean" channel, which sounds really great cranked. to my ears, the overdrive/lead channel (whatever it's called) is the weak link to an otherwise sweet and powerful amp.

Can someone confirm for me: I remember looking at the EL84s, which are mounted directly on the pc board . . . right? But there weren't any preamp tubes that I remember . . . so does this amp have a solid-state preamp?

It's interesting that the upper back of the amp is actually the underside of the pc board. No ventilation holes for the EL84s, unless you count the port at the back bottom of the cab as ventilation. Kinda atypical construction.

slowburn

even though I have an amp coming from texas tube amps I may try to pick this one up as an investment. for all I know it's just a bad tube or something and I can flip it for more than double what the guy is asking right now.

EdMan57

Can someone confirm for me: I remember looking at the EL84s, which are mounted directly on the pc board . . . right? But there weren't any preamp tubes that I remember . . . so does this amp have a solid-state preamp?

It's interesting that the upper back of the amp is actually the underside of the pc board. No ventilation holes for the EL84s, unless you count the port at the back bottom of the cab as ventilation. Kinda atypical construction.
When I opened up my Edition Tube 20,the circuit layout did indeed look somewhat odd.There was four tubes,but they were spaced out in a unique way.My guess is that one 12AX7 is the phase inverter,with the other 12AX7 giving two stages of tube flavor and gain,then the rest is driven by an analog overdrive circuit similar to that in the excellent H&K Tube Factor.

As for the heat,mine never seemed to get hot...even without venting and after a four hour gig.My guess is that there is enough room inside of the cabinet to desipate the heat.Mine did shut down during one gig [after about an hour of playing],but fired right up after I got it back home from the gig...and it only happened that one time.

Ed

thedave

When I opened up my Edition Tube 20,the circuit layout did indeed look somewhat odd.There was four tubes,but they were spaced out in a unique way.
Ed
Ah, so there were four tubes! I couldn't remember. But, yes, it was a distinctive layout, for sure.

shelshaf

A guy who runs a blues jam up in Lebanon TN had two for the guitarists. I always liked them.
I remember that old jam. In fact, those amps sounded so good in that room that I bought myself one. I enjoyed it for a while until I started getting buried by 40+W amps played by other guitar players. I sold it and got an HRD that I then sold and got a '67 BF Super. Now I wish I still had the H&K for the smaller rooms I play in.

dughaze

I had one. It sounded great except for the tube and chassis rattle and the weird PC board layout so I returned it.

Trending Topics