Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister 40 Deluxe Users?

veritechc

I just received a Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister 40 Deluxe and was wondering who else owns one? What kind of cabs are you using with it? Are any of you using the iPad app? How did you get wireless midi hooked up?

What tones have you dialed in?

This is my first tube amp so I'm looking for any and all advice.

Thanks!

veritechc

Ytsejam777

I just received mine yesterday. I was a former Triamp MKII user for a couple of years but have been playing MESA amps the last few years. This is my first Grandmeister. The other guitarist in my band has had a GM36 for a couple of years.

I'm playing it through a DV Mark 1x12 at home and a MESA 2x12 Recto cab at rehearsal and will use it live. I have not used the ipad app as I don't have the WMI-1 device yet.

Classic09

I have the GM36 and there's no real reason to use the iPad app. It might be nice if you want to organise banks in a specific order. Otherwise it's really easy to dial in the sound you want then save it using the footswitch.

jpage

The GM40 is supposed to be a completely different amp from the previous GM36, correct?

bish0p34

I have the GM36 and there's no real reason to use the iPad app. It might be nice if you want to organise banks in a specific order. Otherwise it's really easy to dial in the sound you want then save it using the footswitch.

Agreed. I've had one for a while, and never found a need for an iPad to set it up. It's simple enough on the face of the amp.

The GM40 is supposed to be a completely different amp from the previous GM36, correct?

The preamp is revoiced, and the DI is revamped. Other than that, I believe it's the same as the GM36.

Classic09

bish0p34 said:
The preamp is revoiced, and the DI is revamped. Other than that, I believe it's the same as the GM36.

This is the same as my understanding. There's an additional global powersoak as well.

veritechc

Hi all. I finally have everything together to do some testing!

I'm using my Helix as an amp switcher. It's also will be used to provide DVI connection for my JVT-89f Variax Guitar and impedance matching for any of my other guitars. I just so happen to be testing a Boss Katana 100, a Spider V60, and a THR10X so I set them all up in this same rig.

My plan is to use all of my guitars on the Grandmeister and try to get it dialed in solidly. This is ALL new to be so I will give it my best. Below are a couple of photos to update you all. I purchased a Line 6 4x12 cab that is loaded with Line 6 branded Celestron speaker. I think it sounds great with the Grandmeister!

Grandmeister and friends!

15781075_1634547886846785_1558401703319269899_n.jpg

Detail of the inside of the speaker cab.
15741152_1634551343513106_3806943945392712897_n.jpg

Helix ready to work!
15781040_1634547883513452_5785021673559834768_n.jpg

The guitars I will be using.
15055878_1618142381820669_5193755636911391513_n.jpg

Godspeed64

I think it's a matter of qualifying definitions. We cannot take "Grandmeister" as a tonal point of reference, but as a technological set of features. It's not like a AC30CC and AC30C kind of relationship at all.

So think of "Grandmeister" as an amp having these features:
Full MIDI controllable pots
Built-in effects
4 channels
Built in DI
Lightweight

Then think of the GM36 as a Tubemeister-voiced amp, with "Grandmeister" features attached to it. The GM40D is a Triamp-scaled down amp, given the "Grandmeister" feature set. Two different lineage of tones with one set of "common" features.

I hate when manufacturers do this. Kinda like the Bassbreaker by Fender; too huge an array of amps with very different tonalities across all models, just with the same look and release period to be called a "Bassbreaker".

scottkahn

scottkahn

Which amp? I would expect the GM40 to be similar... with the GrandMeister 36 and Triamp Mk 3, at a minimum we used the amps with a DOD Looking Glass overdrive pedal and a Fulltone OCD with excellent results.

k9blek

Is it worth it to just go to the Deluxe 40? Are the differences worth it? I like the extra head room. Also, what midi switchers are recommended ?

scottkahn

If you're talking about the Grandmeister 40 vs. the Grandmeister 36, the differences are DEFINITELY worth it. It is much better sounding. So if the quality of your tube amp's tone is important, get the 40. :)

dexhunt3r

I just received mine yesterday. I was a former Triamp MKII user for a couple of years but have been playing MESA amps the last few years. This is my first Grandmeister. The other guitarist in my band has had a GM36 for a couple of years.

I'm playing it through a DV Mark 1x12 at home and a MESA 2x12 Recto cab at rehearsal and will use it live. I have not used the ipad app as I don't have the WMI-1 device yet.

Just wonder how is triamp mkii compare to mesa boogie mark v 5:25? Thanks!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom