Hughes & Kettner Puretone - What's your opinion?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tone Disciple, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

Yesterday I tried an amp I have never even looked at before - a Hughes and Kettner Puretone.

I was pretty impressed. Not as loud as Matchless SC30 or Phoenix I have had, but still plenty of volume. EL34's, but it had attitude more like my Constellation when you turned up the Growl control - which BTW takes the tone stack out of play (nice feature). Total control from the guitar volume knob. Class A - 25 watt.

Not sure that I am into the blue lit front panel thing, but just based on tone and sound - I was pretty impressed.

Oh yeah - the head price, used, was less than $1000.

I haven't bought any amp lately that was less than $2000 -so I am wondering if I am missing something bad about this amp that I just do not see.

Your thoughts?

Buy it?

2. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

I have never played this amp, but I must confess that I'm really curious to hear what others think. Through owning and playing several Matchless amps, I have grown to love the idea of a lower wattage, dual EL34 amp. Under a grand, I would probably snag it if I had the money.

3. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

It was neat because it pushed plenty of air, but was not sooooo loud you could not use it in small venues. Good dynamic response with the guitar and plenty of great cleans to growl with the touch of the volume knob.

Stringkiller likes this.
  4. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

5. mikenov

mikenov Member

I just bought the Puretone Combo. Love it. And I agree with your sound assessment. Very touch sensitive, hand wired amp for a steal. If you are looking for answers on why they are so cheap on the after market I can't tell you. I got my combo for a very good price here on the Gear page and really like it. I was actually looking for this amp because I own the Hughes and Kettner 20th anniversary 20w combo and loved that . Now when I A/B these two the 20th anniversary sounds like a toy compared to the Puretone. Still good just thin in comparison .

Stringkiller likes this.
  6. Crikey

Crikey Member

I tried out a Puretone head. I had read comparisons between it and the Matchless Clubman, which I've never heard; I'd heard Puretone clips I liked, and wanted to hear one.

The Puretone reminds me of the Trainwreck-inspired amps I've heard: Alessandro Bloodhound, Working Dog Boxer, and a 6V6-based wreck clone from Tone Shop. It's a bright amp with my PAF-like pickups, and reacts well to varying the guitar's volume knob. It has less clean headroom than I expected, and when turned all the way up mine compresses and spits like a fuzz box, which I found surprising. I haven't gotten around to tube swapping, or tried it with a variety of guitars and pickups.

The EQ is great with all three tone controls at noon. It's a nice balance of big footprint and solid lows without any tubbiness or muddiness.

There is just a certain quality to the overdrive that reminds me of the other amps with wreck inspiration. It's a gainier edge than the old-school Marshalls that are my usual basis for comparison.

If that's a sound you're looking for, these things can be a great deal used.

Crikey

Stringkiller likes this.
  7. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

thanks for the shout out guitared!

8. righthandman

righthandman Member

I had one for a while, it's really a great amp. As others have said it's very touch sensitive and it projects very well. I used it in small clubs without miking it and it had plenty of volume and available headroom. Really wish I hadn't let it go.......

Stringkiller likes this.
  9. mikenov

mikenov Member

As a matter of fact, I played it this week side by side in a small bar next to a Super Reverb and it held its own in EVERY way volume wise. Its a LOUD amp. That is in a way its main drawback. At 25w you would think you are buying a bedroom amp but that is just not the case. This think gets loud at 2 and only gets louder until about 5 and then breaks up.

Stringkiller likes this.
  10. Stringkiller

Stringkiller Member

Took me a long time to buy one here in France - actually got mine in the UK thru Ebay as I had never even seen or heard one here. I had been impressed by the UK Guitarist magazines evaluation.
    I have just started using my combo
    Agreed but you get a lot of control from the tone and volume pots on the guitar from this amp compared to other amps I've played and owned (All the old favorites)
    in concerts and it lives up to it's reputation and even more. Check one out if you get the chance. How much does the head or the combo go for in the US?

11. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Always wanted to try this amp. Seems like it's right up my alley.