Hughes & Kettner Rotosphere

pulse.

Gold Supporting Member
I found a great deal yesterday on reverb and I pulled the trigger. How do you power yours?

Crimson Queen

Silver Supporting Member
From what I remember from mine, it requires 12 volt AC (not DC) with a 2.5 mm plug. I had wall warts for it. The original adapter and a spare bought at a local electronics store.

Last edited:

crazymahler

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah when I had one it needed its own wall wart. It's the best rotary pedal I've ever played, despite its size and power requirement—great pedal! I play a Strymon Lex now for a more convenient form factor, but I think the Rotosphere sounds better.
Similar to the BK Tube Driver, it's probably my favorite OD ever, but the size and power cord are not pedalboard-friendly... :/

piper19

THE best rotary I've ever played, however....it was very noisy and tube change did not make it better. Apparently some units are not noisy, others are.
There is a hole in the market for HK now, if they would make their tube pedal line in a smaller form a la Kingsley... Their tube factor was my main overdrive for a long time.

UncleJesse

Silver Supporting Member
Someone on this board told me you can use a Cioks AC10 and power it without the wall wart. I’ve had a rotosphere for many years and have been using a courtesy outlet but I’m building a new pedal board and will be buying an AC10 for this purpose in the coming week or two. Nice job on a deal! I think I paid $425 for mine back in like 2005. They seem to still be fairly expensive when I see them these days.

Amish Mafia

I had a Rotosphere, one of the only times I comments from audience people after about my sounds. Now I use a Nux pedal and it's better, hate to say it but it does all the same stuff is smaller and also adds an octave with either high or low octave should you want it.

UncleJesse

Silver Supporting Member
If you already have a Cioks power supply that has a Links outlet you might consider a Cioks AC Rider. Lower price and smaller.

Thanks for the info but I'm basically building a board from scratch because I have a Pedal Pad board with built in power supply I've had since like 2005 and it's big and heavy and I need to convert to something lighter.

UncleJesse

Silver Supporting Member
I had a Rotosphere, one of the only times I comments from audience people after about my sounds. Now I use a Nux pedal and it's better, hate to say it but it does all the same stuff is smaller and also adds an octave with either high or low octave should you want it.

Does it really have that same tone? I've tried a few smaller pedals over the years and none had the 'IT' factor.

Amish Mafia

Does it really have that same tone? I've tried a few smaller pedals over the years and none had the 'IT' factor.
Didn't compare directly, all I know is I don't miss it, same ramp up ramp down, can add some gain (noise) if you want or dead clean. Has speed for each rotor, and an eq for either more treble or bass. Lastly speed for high and low, and overall effect intensity. People say it is noisy, I think it's a pedal placement thing, mine is quiet.

It has more "It" than anything. For $120 or so it's worth a try I would think.

Squatch57

I got the Cioks AC8 for my Rotosphere, does the same 12V AC as the AC10, and it has DC voltages as well

Squatch57

The HK supply I have is 700 mA, and I presume it is the original that came with the Rotosphere. AC doesn't have polarity per se.
Yeah, I've seen a few different figures quoted. A tech on Freestomp said they work better with more amperage but who knows?
I thought my Rotosphere was broken for eight years because i must've tried to power it with DC and it half lit up, but with no sound. I thought it was broken because I didn't realize that AC devices could half work with DC

Adagietto

Pending
Silver Supporting Member
THE best rotary I've ever played, however....it was very noisy and tube change did not make it better. Apparently some units are not noisy, others are.
There is a hole in the market for HK now, if they would make their tube pedal line in a smaller form a la Kingsley... Their tube factor was my main overdrive for a long time.
Noise can be minimized to some extent by careful setting of the gain and volume. IIRC I kept the Drive high to keep the Output as low as possible. [I still have a Rotosphere, just haven't used it in years.] As I understand it, it's more of a line level device, so the guitar's low signal level brings out the noise.

Another thing that helps with noise is a parallel looper, basically a blend control — but that's another pedal and cabling. This also is useful as the Rotosphere's bypass is quite colored, so I used it to switch the RS out of the chain when not in use.

Adagietto

Pending
Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, I've seen a few different figures quoted. A tech on Freestomp said they work better with more amperage but who knows?
I thought my Rotosphere was broken for eight years because i must've tried to power it with DC and it half lit up, but with no sound. I thought it was broken because I didn't realize that AC devices could half work with DC
The label on my RS MkII also says 700 mA, as does my unofficial schematic. Nothing wrong with having more current available, though.

Did you have a thread on your RS DC problem? I remember one from several years ago, which I responded to. The DC allows some of the the analog circuitry to operate, but AC is required for the tube. It's stepped-up then rectified to 280V.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom